PDA

View Full Version : Carpet cleaning

Filterlab
27-02-2008, 14:00
Before I take the Vax machine home, clear my lounge and lose it for a day to a damp carpet, is there any products you know of which clean carpets well?

I'm looking for the stuff that is sprayed on to the carpet, left for a while and then vacuumed out. Is there something you know of?

Cheers dudes!

Filterlab
27-02-2008, 14:35
Right, some bod at work has suggested Vanish High Traffic Powerfoam - simply spray on, leave to dry and vacuum up. :)

Sounds like my kind of product.

Mike
27-02-2008, 16:51
Good luck!..... I've always found 'magic sprays' to be expensive and almost useless, unfortunately.

:goodluck:

Vinyl Grinder
27-02-2008, 17:16
Why are your carpets dirty in the first place?:confused:

Filterlab
27-02-2008, 17:40
Why are your carpets dirty in the first place?:confused:

They're not really dirty, just a bit flat and squashed down where they are used the most. It's just me living here with no kids, no partner and very few visitors do dirty is the wrong word really. They just need livening up a bit.

Vinyl Grinder
28-02-2008, 14:30
They're not really dirty, just a bit flat and squashed down where they are used the most. It's just me living here with no kids, no partner and very few visitors do dirty is the wrong word really. They just need livening up a bit.

Vaccum them everyday will help keep them up...The big carpet steam cleans re juvinate the pile too..One of those steamers presently on Sky sales channel that does a good job forgot what they call the channel.Walk straight on it when finishe.

Tip toes on our carpets are people are dead meat
:lol:

Vinyl Grinder
28-02-2008, 14:37
This week i'ts just hit back home whay i hate it...Anyone else love this glorious job?

petemosby
02-11-2010, 22:04
I use some old technique. it's cheap but works for dry dirt only. you take it out and smash in a few times in a tree hahaha. It's a temporary solution but at least it's free ;)

goraman
02-11-2010, 23:15
I am not in England,but it seems the basics of carpert cleanning are same.
First I need to know what kind of carpet is it nylon,polyester,Olefin,wool.
It helps to know what your dealing with.
The biggest mistake people make is putting the carpet soap in the carpet machein,or leaveing soap in the carpet when done.
Soap binds dirt,like a dirt magnet.So after a couple of weeks the traffic lanes start turning brown,because the soap in the carpet will pick up dirt and oil from your feet and hold it there.
The soap should be diluted,sprayed on very spairingly and extracted useing a small amount of neutralizer in the rinse water.
Heat is your best freind but not on a wool carpet.
The carpet needs to be aired out as soon as possable to prevent seperation and mold.
There is currently no portable carpet systum that can clean like a truck mount and you really don't save much money when you factor in the end result.
A carpet that is just slightly better than what you started with.

When removeing stains different cleanners work for oils than pet urin or coke and coffee stains.

I knew an Indian guy who lived in a huge 2 story house all with carpet.
He filled it with hot water,then added several glug glug glugs from a gallon of bleach.

His 6 month old carpets in his new house,where not only distroyed color wise but also they kept falling apart and the nap would fill a vacuum bag.

So don't improvise cleanning solutions.

DSJR
03-11-2010, 15:10
We have a Bissell pro-heat jobbie which was fine on our previous short pile carpets, but the previous owners of our current house had long pile beige carpets and the Bissell does nothing. A small steam cleaner tries its best but isn't powerful enough. I reckon we're going to need a Rug-Doctor, which literally punches the dirt out with its beater.

Covenant
03-11-2010, 15:40
I just did the stairs, landing and two big sofas with the Rug Doctor system. I am quite pleased with the results although the sofa solution caused a lot of foaming and had to be emptied all the time. It was good value at £40 including the chemicals.

goraman
03-11-2010, 22:14
That foam is soap and if you don't get it all out you will be right back where you started.
Put a shots worth of defoamer in the recovery tank it will solve that problem.

petemosby
07-11-2010, 19:34
I use this thing called Carpet Cleaning London (http://carpetcleaning.org.uk). They are professional carpet cleaners

Grez
07-11-2010, 21:33
We bought a Vax years ago and it's excellent: probably one of the best domestic appliances we ever bought. If you use them properly, the carpet dries in a couple of hours, not the entire day. When we moved into this house (Dec 2003) we thought that with 2 kids aged 3 and 8, we'd have to quickly replace the plain beigey carpets downstairs. Seven years and a Vax machine later and they're still going strong!

Tiffany78
21-01-2011, 09:15
However, if you are not sure on how to clean your carpet the right way and are afraid to mess it up, then a good alternative is to hire a professional carpet cleaner.

Marco
21-01-2011, 09:24
Hi Tiffany,

Welcome to AoS :)

Could you please pop into the Welcome area and introduce yourself to our community, by providing your system details and music tastes, telling us a bit about yourself, as this is the required procedure for new members joining AoS.

Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

Mr Pig
23-01-2011, 09:51
Yesterday we had a professional carpet cleaner in cleaning our livingroom carpet. Guy was clearly a bit of a half-wit, didn't clean the carpet very systematically or thoroughly, has left it little cleaner than it was to begin with, soaking wet and full of detergent! Not jubilant.

This joker was recommended by a woman at work. At best it was a waste of time but I suspect it's going to prove the death knell for the carpet. My advice would be that unless you're one-hundred percent sure about what you're going to end up with, leave the thing alone.

Marco
23-01-2011, 18:23
Guy was clearly a bit of a half-wit...

Was he another zoomer from Airdrie? :eyebrows:

Marco.

Mr Pig
23-01-2011, 19:19
Was he another zoomer from Airdrie?

No idea, but he was an idiot. Still trying to get the carpet dry...

Oh, and I've got the Sound Frames in!

Marco
23-01-2011, 19:31
Nice one, dude... Howz it soundin'? :)

Did the stickers improve the imaging? ;)

Marco.

Mr Pig
23-01-2011, 19:35
Nice one, dude... Howz it soundin'?

No idea. Only just set them up and too busy trying to dry the carpet to play music ;0)

Marco
23-01-2011, 19:38
Reet-o... Start a new thread in Blank Canvas, describing your shenanigans, when you've had a chance to listen properly :)

Marco.

Mr Pig
23-01-2011, 19:38
Yes, sure will :0)

Marco
23-01-2011, 22:09
Nice one - and include pics! :)

Marco.

Mr Pig
23-01-2011, 22:13
Nice one - and include pics!

It looks exactly the same as it used to, only slightly higher! ;0)

Marco
23-01-2011, 22:30
Yes, but most folks here haven't seen your set-up, so your new thread would also be an ideal opportunity to pop some pics of the piglet system in the Gallery :cool:

Marco.

Mr Pig
23-01-2011, 23:24
Yes, but most folks here haven't seen your set-up

Ok. Just been playing some music, it's not worse! I'm not drawing any conclusions though as every time I've added Mana it's taken a few days to settle down and sound right. Plus the whole system's been out of action for over a week. It does seem that the speakers are not quite in the right position though as I've got a bit of bass doubling and suck-out. Moving them is such a pain though, unless it's really bad I'm going to live with it.

Room stinks though! You can smell the damp smell as soon as you walk in the door. As well as the central heating I'm running an electric heater, a dehumidifier and three electric fans! Note to self, soaking the inside of your house is not a bright idea :0(

goraman
24-01-2011, 02:17
But how is the carpet?

Mr Pig
24-01-2011, 17:04
But how is the carpet?

Looks much the same as it did before it was cleaned. I think it'll be getting replaced soon.

goraman
24-01-2011, 22:12
I'ts rare to see a nice looking carpet over ten years old.
Traffic lanes just happen,drinks get spilled,some stupid ass steps in a big steaming pile of dog crap and walks in your house with it on there shoe,ect...
I really want a wood floor next go around.

Mr Pig
24-01-2011, 23:32
I really want a wood floor next go around

I like carpet, we even have carpet in the bathroom. I like being able to sit around on the floor, carpet is just comfortable and warm. There was a big thing here yeas ago where everyone was getting laminate flooring. Never bought into it myself.

It's rare to see a nice looking carpet over ten years old

The one in question is yellow! ;0) You'd think it would be a disaster but it's been fine. We had a very pale green carpet in the last house and it was ok so we thought we'd get a lighter one because it's a north-facing room. There's no through traffic, kids don't get to eat in that room and we don't walk around the house with shoes on. That's the killer. If you think about it it's pretty daft walking through your house with shoes you've been wearing outside but lots of people do it.

Oh, here's the room:

http://mybriks.com/assets/colinmain.jpg

Just been redecorated, exactly the same ;0)

goraman
25-01-2011, 02:09
That carpet looks pretty good in the picture,nice stereo too.

Our condo is around 1,000 sqft.
From the front door to the kitchen is the uglyest traffic lane you would want to see,we have had as menny as 12 people for a large sit down dinner,and menny more than that for partys where people actualy sit on the floor when the the last chair is taken.

The after party for my sons babtisum had 30 folding chairs and a huge spred of mexican food.

So you can see where this is going,right?
There are oily stains,coke stains,wine stains and the worst stains other than red dye #9 (Indian food stains)!
Our carpet is in bad shape but our nearing 2 year old spills daily so will clean it agein and go a couple more years then look at all the options.

I wish we had a closed garage,most Indians have a second kitchen in there,because of all the oil,mess and the smell from the food.
No matter what you do the oil (mustered seed oil,almond oil,cocanut oil,peanut oil,corn oil,ect) seems to travel by air,the whole kitchen not just above the stove gets a thin layer of spiced oil film. The oils in spicey Indian food seem to seek out carpet,chair cushins,and even your best shirt.

Most people could never guess how menny different oils and spices are in our home at any given time,we have a large closet pantry with mason jars full of different spices and 5 gallon buckets with lids sealing zip lock bags of the ones used less often. 2 kitchen cabnets are also filled pluse a spice rack by the stove.
People call us all the time asking,do you have any (fill in the blank) or I love it when my wife just opens the door to the spice pantry and some one says 'are you into voodoo"? Black salt? white pepper? sumac?

The book I have never seen in any book store or kitchen is a Book of spices and spice mixtures and common uses for each spice.
Seems there are menny cook books but no one has catologed the worlds spices in a way that would help the aevrage Joe use them to broaden his palate.
The closest thing is in the The New Larusse Gastronomique. The best cook book ever devised by man,but not so easy to find or afford.I have a first edition from 1960 (wish it was sighned).It's so big to run another edition would wipe out the rain forest.

Mabey I should be compiling in a book on spices?

Mr Pig
25-01-2011, 18:34
You don't look very Indian Jeff? Is your wife Asian?

I love Indian food, your post was making me hungry! ;0) My stomach can't really take it these days but I still eat it sometimes, it's worth it!

That carpet looks pretty good in the picture

Old picture! Na, it still looks ok if you don't look too close. By the sounds of it better than yours anyway! ;0) We had a big salmon pink cloth settee and chairs and as soon as my wife got pregnant we got rid of it and got leather chesterfield style ones. Babies plus wipe-down furniture equals happiness :0)

goraman
25-01-2011, 23:58
My wife is from Pakistan,my son is 1/2 Pakistaini but you would never know it by looking at him.

Reid Malenfant
26-01-2011, 00:01
Jeff, one day i really hope to talk spices with you ( & your other half) :)

So much to learn, apologies as it's not about carpets :rolleyes:

goraman
26-01-2011, 01:34
Jeff, one day i really hope to talk spices with you ( & your other half) :)

So much to learn, apologies as it's not about carpets :rolleyes:
Any time,Spices keep dinner exciteing...

Mr Pig
26-01-2011, 17:26
My son is 1/2 Pakistani but you would never know it by looking at him.

He might show some characteristics as he gets older. I would expect so.

goraman
27-01-2011, 03:21
He already is...
Yesterday he took a diaper out of the bag and was wareing it on his head!

Mr Pig
27-01-2011, 17:01
Yesterday he took a diaper out of the bag and was wearing it on his head!

Ha ha ha :0) Where is it your wife is from? Was she born in the US or has she still to find out how rubbish it is? ;0) Only kidding, I'm sure it's better than Scotland. Except for all the guns maybe? Hoe many guns is that you want in circulation ultimately?

Incidentally, my sister lives in Portland, Oregon and is becoming an American citizen. Her husband is second-generation Chinese American.

goraman
27-01-2011, 23:35
Ha ha ha :0) Where is it your wife is from? Was she born in the US or has she still to find out how rubbish it is? ;0) Only kidding, I'm sure it's better than Scotland. Except for all the guns maybe? Hoe many guns is that you want in circulation ultimately?

Incidentally, my sister lives in Portland, Oregon and is becoming an American citizen. Her husband is second-generation Chinese American.
My wife is from Pakistan,we married in Islamabad.
Guns are a good thing,as long as you have one your no ones victum.

A dog with no teeth gets kicked every day...

The Grand Wazoo
28-01-2011, 00:20
Guns are a good thing,as long as you have one your no ones victum.

...........except for the guy who points his first...........or sticks his in your back.......or in your face when you're asleep.......or at your kids when they don't know when to run...........

goraman
28-01-2011, 02:20
nothing will ever change that,in countrys where people don't own guns there is still a huge murder rate,the whole point should be personal responsability and the right to protect your self and family from scum.
Sometimes scum wins,but in a community able to defend itself,crime goes down.
The biggest problem faceing America is not guns,we have had 5 for every home since WW2 the problem we face is drugs and kids raiseing themselve and joining gangs.

Alex_UK
28-01-2011, 07:58
Hmmmm... this is a very tricky one, and where our cultures differ somewhat I suspect Jeff. I used to be a shooter, a member of a gun club, owner of some nice pistols and used to shoot in competitions - but even though (at the time) I could have kept them at home (in a suitable safe) I never did, leaving them safely locked up at the club. Following various horrendous incidents, firearms are now all but banned, and the sport I enjoyed was decimated. Of course I was "sad" about losing a hobby I enjoyed very much, but I can't say I disagree with the intentions behind the ban (though I personally would have enforced shooters to leave their weapons at a club like I did, rather than an outright ban...)

Anyway, in my opinion, violence breeds violence - and you're not seriously suggesting that there is no link whatsoever to drugs, gangs, and guns? I bet a huge percentage of those gangs carry guns...? And it is part of the allure, no doubt?

People will still kill each other with or without firearms, but I bet it is a lot "easier" to pull a trigger and do it "remotely" than to physically push a knife into them, bludgeon them or strangle them with your own hands...

Out of interest, how many accidental deaths are there in the home where someone is misidentified as an intruder, or little Johnny gets hold of Dad's .357 Magnum? One is too many, in my opinion.

goraman
28-01-2011, 12:48
In the US more home invasions,robberysect... are prevented and stopped cold each year from gun owners than the other way around (Read GUNS,CRIME and FREEDOM by WAYNE LA PIARE).More kids drownd in 5 gallon paint buckets each year than are killed by guns!

The fact is misidentified shootings in the home are very ,very rare.
And yes,gangs do get guns illeagaly and that should be the focus.

When the L.A. riots happened the police locked them selves up in the police station.
The only stores that did't get robbed and burned where the ones where the owners got on there roof tops and help the looters off with guns.
L.A. was nearly distroyed before the national guard got there,little was reported of the rapes and attempted murder.My uncle who was pretty much a Gandi peace nick liveing in Orange county was able to get a semi auto rifle before it all ended.

When you know your life is seriously being threatened a 911 call is worthless,any street cop here will tell you to get a gun and learn how to use it safley.
As they will get there just in time to clean up the mess and make a report.

YOUR FAMILYS PROTECTION IS YOUR RESPONCIBILITY! NO ONE ELSE.

When crap goes down the police are instructed to wait for back up,hold back,who will be stopping your murder? Hopefuly a kind neighbor who owns a gun...

Mr Pig
28-01-2011, 17:04
I can see it from both sides. If I lived in the US I would consider owning a gun. I do consider it madness though to develop a society that has more guns than people!

I know you justify it but it's just not a good idea. Sure, people will have murderous thoughts no matter what but why make acting on them so simple? Seventy-eight percent of the homicides in the US were committed with a gun, that's a figure only topped by Columbia! You are five-and-a-half times better at killing yourselves than we are in Britain. It's hard to see that as anything other than a failure.

Yes, bad men will still get guns if you ban them but if getting them is harder less bad men will have them. If you make them as easy to buy as candy then all the bad men will have them.

I do understand the problem, you've got them now so have to deal with it, but I wouldn't crow about it being a good thing. There's nothing good about everyone being able to kill everyone else from half a mile away at the push of a button.

Marco
28-01-2011, 17:57
Carpet cleaning to blowing dudes up with guns... You just gotta love the legendary thread drift on AoS!! :lol:

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
28-01-2011, 20:26
Similarly to Alex, until less than 18 months ago, I have been an owner of firearms of one sort or another pretty much all my life since I was legally allowed to do so. Before that I regularly used them for years, so I'm not against guns per se at all.
But I do think that we live in a pretty sad world that you feel you must own one just because the other guy's got one. That situation can only possibly mean there are too many guns and that they are too easy to get hold of.

Alex_UK
28-01-2011, 20:28
Carpet cleaning to blowing dudes up with guns... You just gotta love the legendary thread drift on AoS!! :lol:

Marco.

Sorry Marco, there's no thread drift - you blow a scumbag's brains out when he breaks into your home and you are sure as hell going to need your carpet cleaning! :lol:

goraman
29-01-2011, 01:44
That is the funniest thing I've seen all day.Alex, I am using a new program called Dragon. It works pretty well I don't even have to type. It automatically spell checks my work. It won't help sort my thoughts, but at least they'll be spelled correctly.

Alex_UK
29-01-2011, 11:49
That is the funniest thing I've seen all day.Alex, I am using a new program called Dragon. It works pretty well I don't even have to type. It automatically spell checks my work. It won't help sort my thoughts, but at least they'll be spelled correctly.

Dragon sounds pretty good - Jeff. We understand you anyway, but I must admit I occasionally struggle with the odd word - it will certainly help get your message across I reckon.

Now this IS the legendary AoS thread drift, Marco! :D

goraman
29-01-2011, 16:29
This new program is a little odd, you just talk into your laptop.
It takes some getting used to.

snapper
29-01-2011, 16:38
This new program is a little odd, you just talk into your laptop.
It takes some getting used to.

Ah wunner if it wid unnerstaun ma Glesga accent.

:hmm:

:lolsign:

Rare Bird
29-01-2011, 16:40
Ah wunner if it wid unnerstaun ma Glesga accent.

Aye tha might haves summet theer snapps mi owd spadger

Macca
29-01-2011, 16:45
Aye tha might haves summet theer snapps mi owd spadger

Soz burra dirren gerra fourkin werd o'dat...?

snapper
29-01-2011, 16:50
snapps mi owd spadger

Spadger? (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spadger)

:D

Rare Bird
29-01-2011, 16:54

snapper
29-01-2011, 17:10
Ye lern sumhin nyou evryday hear.

This (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tadger) is the male ekwivilant.

:lol:

Alex_UK
29-01-2011, 17:27
Spadger? (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spadger)

The next forum I join I'm going to be "Spagde Hunter" :D

Rare Bird
29-01-2011, 17:45
The next forum I join I'm going to be "Spagde Hunter" :D

I've had some great user names in the past. My favs were '33 & a turd' & 'Pan Handle'

Welder
21-03-2011, 14:59
A bit of a grave dig.
I have recently recovered 4 Persian (wool and silk mix) and 3 Pakistani carpets (silk). It’s a long story but it’s taken me some years to get them returned.
The Persian carpets are over 150 years old I believe and have been in my family for some time. The Pakistani carpets I bought about 25 ago when financial circumstances were somewhat easier. They have been in less than ideal circumstances for some time now and are in need of cleaning and one of the Persian carpets is in need of slight repair.

Unfortunately the assumption seems to be that if you own such things then you can afford the astronomical cost involved in professional cleaning; well I cant and wondered if anyone had undertaken cleaning such carpets themselves, how they went about it and what the end results were.

goraman
21-03-2011, 16:29
A bit of a grave dig.
I have recently recovered 4 Persian (wool and silk mix) and 3 Pakistani carpets (silk). It’s a long story but it’s taken me some years to get them returned.
The Persian carpets are over 150 years old I believe and have been in my family for some time. The Pakistani carpets I bought about 25 ago when financial circumstances were somewhat easier. They have been in less than ideal circumstances for some time now and are in need of cleaning and one of the Persian carpets is in need of slight repair.

Unfortunately the assumption seems to be that if you own such things then you can afford the astronomical cost involved in professional cleaning; well I cant and wondered if anyone had undertaken cleaning such carpets themselves, how they went about it and what the end results were.

These are all hand knotted carpets,if they are over 100 years old they must be cleaned very carefully,I would hand clean them with Folex a nylon brush a spray bottle of water and use micro fiber towels to blot them,extract them then hang them to dry in a heated room.
Do not hang them in hot sun lite it may fade them.

DO NOT APPLY ANY DIRECT HEAT TO THEM.
NO HAIR DRYER OF FORCED HEATED AIR.

NO HEAT OVER 80 DEGREES FARENHIGHT. Slow drying is best.

Keep in mind the foundation they are knotted on is most likely wool over 100 years old so brush lightly in a circular motion and don't leave soap in the rug,rinse and blot till all the soap is out before extracting the water out with a wet/dry vacuum.Then crack the windows in a room,heat the room and move the air with a fan,hang the rugs to dry.
This should get them much cleaner but formost should do no harm.

anthonyTD
21-03-2011, 16:34
A bit of a grave dig.

hi john,
use water only for genral cleaning unless you have the means to suck the residue back out of the carpet,the biggest mistake people make is to use strong detergents and leave them in the carpet, the carpet just becomes a big rag to wipe your shoes clean on! if you leave detergent in the carpet it will become very dirty, very quickly. i was trained as a carpet cleaner when i left school [a few years ago now] and we used to use special rotary scrubbers with water tanks fitted for realy dirty carpets like pubs clubs etc, then we would use a machine that applied more chemicals to the carpet but with a very high suction system that pulled the water, chemicals/dirt back out, this is the only way to clean a carpet properly. with your's being very old and probably using vegitable dyes i would just use a plain water system with the suction process, even if you have to go over stubbon areas a few times.
hope this helps.
Anthony,TD...

Welder
21-03-2011, 17:16
Hi Jeff.

Yes they are all hand knotted.
Thanks for the tips.
I know that they shouldn’t be soaked but I’ve also been warned not to use detergent of any sort as in particular the wool carpets are unlikely to be very colour fast.
The family I stayed with in Pakistan when I bought the carpets used to hang and beat theirs with a heavy stick with a kind of paddle on the end. Apparently this is the best way to dislodge the build up of dirt in the knots and I think this is where I’ll start.

Hi Anthony
Thanks for the suggestions.
I’m going to try beating them first but at some point I’m going to have to wet them to remove some of the stains which seem to have not soaked in to the knots. The Persian carpets are on the large side and it looks like a major task with possibly a tooth brush and water covering a small section at a time. There is so much conflicting advice on the net and from a couple of specialists I’ve spoken to who all seem to want large amounts of money to even look at them let alone collect and clean.

Funny ol life innit.

Ian Walker
21-03-2011, 17:20
hi john,
use water only for genral cleaning unless you have the means to suck the residue back out of the carpet,the biggest mistake people make is to use strong detergents and leave them in the carpet, the carpet just becomes a big rag to wipe your shoes clean on! if you leave detergent in the carpet it will become very dirty, very quickly. i was trained as a carpet cleaner when i left school [a few years ago now] and we used to use special rotary scrubbers with water tanks fitted for realy dirty carpets like pubs clubs etc, then we would use a machine that applied more chemicals to the carpet but with a very high suction system that pulled the water, chemicals/dirt back out, this is the only way to clean a carpet properly. with your's being very old and probably using vegitable dyes i would just use a plain water system with the suction process, even if you have to go over stubbon areas a few times.
hope this helps.
Anthony,TD...
I knew you were a right ole scrubber Cindy:)

anthonyTD
21-03-2011, 17:53
I knew you were a right ole scrubber Cindy:)

Well, That just goes to prove!:lol:

goraman
21-03-2011, 19:11
I recomended Folex as a cleaner because of it's gental nature,you can even dilute it with water and spray a small area then scrub,blot the soapy water out,then rinse and blot,you can use a wet vac to extract the water and Folex has a neutral ph that shouldn't attract more dirt or fade the veggie colors.(always test the product and method on a small spot first to be safe).(WARNING DO NOT USE WOOLITE)