PDA

View Full Version : Words that should be banned on AoS

StanleyB
27-07-2013, 16:11
My 1st vote goes for the use of the word "Hello" on its own in the welcome section. There are far too many topics starting with it. Once you read one Hello, you feel like you have read them all.

My next vote goes to "I'll post pictures later".
A frequently abused statement that often needs encouragements before it is actually carried out.

walpurgis
27-07-2013, 16:21
Never mind "Hello".

'Goodbye' should be excluded.

chelsea
27-07-2013, 16:32
Night and Day.

Roy S
27-07-2013, 16:38
Tannoy & Technics :lol:

Oldpinkman
27-07-2013, 18:05
Tannoy & Technics :lol:

:lolsign:

Oldpinkman
27-07-2013, 18:08
"You are plain wrong - in fact dangerously so!

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?27003-Helicopters-and-HiFi-Where-is-Stan-when-I-need-him

StanleyB
27-07-2013, 18:14
"You are plain wrong - in fact dangerously so!

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?27003-Helicopters-and-HiFi-Where-is-Stan-when-I-need-him
You trying to take the piss with me?

Barry
27-07-2013, 20:53
Tellurium, Nørdost, Canare, Cardas, or any other obscenely priced cable....

:sofa:

Colin Wonfor
28-07-2013, 06:05
Get the name right then.
:lol:

Oldpinkman
28-07-2013, 06:06
You trying to take the piss with me?

I get 7 minutes flying time with between 20%-25% remaining battery life on landing. Say 10 minutes of my gentle flying to flatten a 5000mah 22v lipo. I make that an average 30amps 660watts. Or 0.66 killer watts :).
Sue is making a cup of tea as we speak, and the non-designer kettle lead is not perceptably warmer after the kettle boiled than it was b4. Tell me again about your 12w soldering iron on a joint and have a think about loads in a circuit :doh:
The power amp we were discussing on my thread supplies the board with crimps but solders the main current dumping transistors to the board. They do get hot, and could unsolder, which is why they are on a bloody great heatsink. But those high current , high power, "dangerous" solder joints still have no detectable fault after 25 years use.
One of us made a mistake :scratch:

Beechwoods
28-07-2013, 06:50
What the hell is going on between you two? I suggest that either one or both of you consider the use of the 'ignore' function if someone here is winding you up. And if that doesn't work we will just have to start removing posts obviously designed to needle. Useful stuff may be lost in collateral damage and we don't want to have to be nannying the place like that.

Oldpinkman
28-07-2013, 07:46
What the hell is going on between you two? I suggest that either one or both of you consider the use of the 'ignore' function if someone here is winding you up. And if that doesn't work we will just have to start removing posts obviously designed to needle. Useful stuff may be lost in collateral damage and we don't want to have to be nannying the place like that.

If I am going to be nannyed I will take myself elsewhere. I had to put up with enough manipulation and deception from HiFi "forces" when I ran Pink Triangle. I don't mind robustly (and tongue in cheek) defending myself, but I don't take kindly to censorship, especially not to protect those who seek to position themselves as experts and give deliberately misleading advice in a patronising manner. Quite happy to stand up for myself - but if you want to censor, I have better things to do with my time.

I'll avoid my usual flippant language for this post. My concern is that most in HiFi don't understand technical infomation. That would include me. But I am lucky. I have some mates who I know and trust, and can check things with. You don't need technical knowledge to know what you are listening to and whether you like it or not. But lack of technical knowledge is the basis for opportunity for the snake-oil brigade. And the gullible and ignorant will be deceived by those waving credentials, whether it is engineering expertise as in this case, or the authority of market domination which I suffered at PT (I believe Dave calls it the "Linn chip").

I posted on a very casual basis a tip for an easy amp upgrade. Somebody told me it wouldn't work based on his own amplifier using crimps. He hadn't tried it. He offered no science. He "just knew". I commented that I could have done with staff like that when I was running a company - it would have saved all that fannying about testing and auditioning that we used to do. (I used to make a similar comment when, after the divorce, I bought a dog food franchise, and customers would tell me that their dog had "gone off the food - won't eat it any more. Just stopped eating". I used to reply "we should breed from him - there's a market for dogs that won't eat - very cheap to run":)

In response to that comment, Stan posted on my thread that I was "wrong and dangerously so", quoting his expertise as an engineer, and likening himself to Barnes Wallis. He quoted bits of "technical" which were not wrong in the absolute, but were deliberately (I hope - the alternative is ignorantly) seriously misleading. Or - to quote a friend I checked with "absolute twaddle". I have in a light-hearted way, and using the same electrical formula Stan didn't quote, and mis-used, pointed out the flaws in his "science" (with a bit of pique I acknowledge - I lost family in that war - not that particular raid, but I don't appreciate the association, and can only reflect it is as well Stan sticks to designing plug sockets and not Lancaster bombers)

I have demonstrated those flaws with practical examples addressing the points he raised - like my helicopter battery drawing 50 amps at 22v which is 1100w and having soldered terminals. To quote Stan on this point

As for the debate of crimped versus soldered connection: You are plain wrong. In fact dangerously so.
A crimped connector will still continue to work long after a soldered connection passing the same amount of current and voltage has failed. When solder heats up and cools down it will start getting brittle and eventually separate into two sections. Each section will cling on to one end of the connection point.

When you are talking batteries, you are talking about very high currents. A sealed lead acid battery for an alarm is likely to be at least 1AH. At 12V that would be equivalent to 12Watts. A 12Watts soldering iron would melt a soldered connection given enough time.

So a bit less scepticism would go a long way. They laughed at Dyson and Barnes Wallis. But who is laughing now? Consider that, before you condemn the experience and knowledge that is freely expressed by some quite technically capable members on AoS.

i am not an engineer, and have repeatedly acknowledged that, whilst I am interested, and seek to learn, I do not have any expertise or technical skill in electronics or mechanics. My training at PriceWaterhouse Coopers, was as an auditor. I was trained to be question information supplied to me, to obtain evidence for my assertions, and to check my facts before publishing an opinion. They are skills I continue to deploy. I have however backed my assertions with examples of experience (like the weak earth on the caravan lights, and the corroded backup battery) rather than to patronise with "I'm an expert and this is how it is".

I feel it is really important that a forum like this, which many rely on for knowledge and advice, should not censor out debate which would allow false (apparently deliberately so) information to persist.

But you, it would appear, have the gag and scissors :(

I won't use that other prohibited word from earlier in the thread, but I can occupy myself away from here.

Beechwoods
28-07-2013, 08:11
Just stop needling each other, that's all I ask. We don't 'censor' proper discussion.

Oldpinkman
28-07-2013, 08:23
Just stop needling each other, that's all I ask. We don't 'censor' proper discussion.
OK - fair cop. I've made my point, I'll let it go. I've just had Mrs S lecture me about "growing up" :rolleyes:

Gordon Steadman
28-07-2013, 10:42
I've just had Mrs S lecture me about "growing up" :rolleyes:

Well, you can't argue with that:lol:

Gordon Steadman
28-07-2013, 11:40
I have just re-read the contents of this thread. Not pretty reading really.

My problem here really concerns 'gurus'. Even those that have studied, qualified and have years of experience quite often end up with diametrically opposing views to others with similar qualification.

For Richard its obviously his old mates at Pink but for others it may be Stan or Richard over at HFS. I think its a dangerous game to try and set one gurus' opinion against the other. If two or more equally qualified people disagree then who the hell knows for sure who is right. Its this knowing I'm right bit that worries me and I back right away from it because it smacks of 'faith' and 'belief'.

I don't think you should feel that you are being muzzled Richard but I certainly think that this sort of personal stuff belongs elsewhere. Please don't go down that route, I'm sure I can be rude to you in person when we meet but I'm not sure this or any other forum is the place to do it.

Tim
28-07-2013, 11:52
. . . I'm not sure this or any other forum is the place to do it.
It isn't so lets have no more comment eh, this only adds fuel to the fire really.

So what words send me shivering . . . . 'blew me away' I guess and maybe threads like this which concentrate on negativity ;)

Oldpinkman
28-07-2013, 11:56
I'll PM you both