PDA

View Full Version : Good decent stand mount speakers.

speakers-1989
04-05-2009, 09:22
Hello, I'm Shane. This is my first post.

Been doing some research. I see lots of people rave like hell about the Linn Helix speakers, for their nice decent sound for the money. I have also seen people say there was also the Helix version II, what is the difference?

If I do get a pair of Helix, I'll be using them in my bedroom. With 2 modified Quad 405 poweramps 200w (Bridged)

Will the Helix be suitable with the Quads?

Any help welcome.

kalozois100
04-05-2009, 11:31
Hello, I'm Shane. This is my first post.

Been doing some research. I see lots of people rave like hell about the Linn Helix speakers, for their nice decent sound for the money. I have also seen people say there was also the Helix version II, what is the difference?

If I do get a pair of Helix, I'll be using them in my bedroom. With 2 modified Quad 405 poweramps 200w (Bridged)

Will the Helix be suitable with the Quads?

Any help welcome.

Hi Shane and welcome to aos. Well I had linn helix 1 speakers for quite a few years from new. Never heard the helix twos. I have recently upgraded them to B&W 685's . The helix are large and bulky for a stand mount. this may be an issue for a bedroom set up. I never achieved the sound from them that the B&Ws offer me now. In comparison the helix lacked upper clarity and were too boomy on the bass sort of " in ya face" rather than a bass that compliments the accompaning frequencies. Had a decent mid range though. Generally found them dull and when used with the linn intek amp they were "dead grey" dull. I would sell you mine if you were interested but my location is in Cyprus and postage charges would not be in your favour.:( i would recommend listening to them first if you can and wait for other members on the forum to offer alternative suggestions for vintage speakers as they are perhaps more experienced in the synergy department for speakers to be added with your current equipment set up.
for a small room set up i really liked the dali lector ones or wharfdale diamonds and i'm sure the price difference wont be far off used linn helixes. i personally like the idea of new for speakers for security reasons so i know what handling the speakers have had. However im sure someone will come along and prove me wrong on this department:doh:

speakers-1989
04-05-2009, 12:12
Thanks for your reply,

My bedroom is square shaped, size is around 10ft wide and 12ft across. Not a big room but decent.

I've had a pair B&W DM602 S2 speakers once. They were OK, but found them to be a bit too bright and lacking in detail. Later I went for a pair of Linn Keilidh speakers, which was a super improvement . The Keilidh had better dynamics, detail, punch and midrange. It had a very nice special sound, I still regret to this very day that I sold them for nasty Linn sara speakers.

I don't know why these Keilidh's sounded sooo good, me and my father believes they must have been tweaked?? (Maybe Via prev owner) We could be wrong?

Well I have a lot of thinking and searching to do.

kalozois100
04-05-2009, 16:54
Yep the keilidh were very good i heard them once in a dealers listening room.- and pricey too. i didn't have a chance to listen to the sara speakers but it sounds like the helix falls into the same category as those ones.
I didn't find the 685s bright but that may be due to my listening preference. I do agree they are a bit hollow sounding straight out of the box but a kind fellow member suggested loose wadding inside them and it made a fabulous improvement. Infact it sounds so much better that its not far off B&Ws more expensive CM range that i heard. below is a link to discussion on the speakers i had with other members you might have missed.

http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2220&highlight=B%26amp%3BW+speakers

speakers-1989
04-05-2009, 17:43
I've been looking at Royd stand mount speakers. A lot of the people seem to like royds very much.

I know royd stand mounts are not floor shakers, but which one Royd stand mounts had the best bass? I am aware people say Royds have nice clean fast sound. And nice midrange.

I don't know how royds will go with Quad amps though? Maybe it's worth a try.

DSJR
04-05-2009, 19:47
Welcome Shane (Mr 2468 ;))

Don't be persuaded to get more Keilidh's with those amps you now have. Bridged or not, they won't like the silly loading Linn decided on...

The B&W 602's were good in the mk1 form, but for some reason, B&W decided to spit up the tweeter as the years and generations went on. Fortunately, the worst of this mellows out after a decade or so ;)

The B&W "68" series are much better on the few models I've heard, only needing some extra cabinet wadding to damp out a slight boxiness in the mid (they daren't make them too good, co's they have the CM series to upgrade to at a higher price). Try some of these...

speakers-1989
04-05-2009, 20:20
Welcome Shane (Mr 2468 ;))

Don't be persuaded to get more Keilidh's with those amps you now have. Bridged or not, they won't like the silly loading Linn decided on...

The B&W 602's were good in the mk1 form, but for some reason, B&W decided to spit up the tweeter as the years and generations went on. Fortunately, the worst of this mellows out after a decade or so ;)

The B&W "68" series are much better on the few models I've heard, only needing some extra cabinet wadding to damp out a slight boxiness in the mid (they daren't make them too good, co's they have the CM series to upgrade to at a higher price). Try some of these...

Arrrhgggg you caught me:o

speakers-1989
04-05-2009, 20:25
I'll keep B&W in mind. I have always also liked tannoy speakers. Tannoy to me has always had good midrange and vocals.

Check this youtube video of these Tannoy speakers. What model are they?

Sorry I know the video is a bit silly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7trK14ccdk&feature=related

twelvebears
05-05-2009, 14:51
Obviously depends on available cash, but I've always loved small ATCs....

speakers-1989
05-05-2009, 16:49
ATC's are way to expensive, even their entry level speakers are alot of money too. They will be far to neutral for me.

I'll have to give ATC a miss. It's just either going to be some Tannoy, B&W or Kef speakers.
I do like the look of the Tannoy DC200. They may be a bit old, but they will still make a nice speaker for all types of music.

Sorry, I can be very picky with speakers.

kalozois100
05-05-2009, 17:40
regarding the B&W 686s i had a listen to them I did like them as much as the 685s. Odd really. If my budget would have stretched further I woud have gone for the 684s as they too were very good sounding and are floorstanders too. Generally I find the 6 series value for money now they are assembled in china . I think its helped with pricing. Build quality doesn't seem to suffer either from chinese assembly. i also found that upgrading my interconnects (coax and stereo rca) to mark grant ones really helped out the speakers improve in performance.
Sorry but i can't help you with tannoy speakers as i have no experience of them .:(

speakers-1989
05-05-2009, 17:42
regarding the B&W 686s i had a listen to them I did like them as much as the 685s. Odd really. If my budget would have stretched further I woud have gone for the 684s as they too were very good sounding and are floorstanders too. Generally I find the 6 series value for money now they are assembled in china . I think its helped with pricing. Build quality doesn't seem to suffer either from chinese assembly. i also found that upgrading my interconnects (coax and stereo rca) to mark grant ones really helped out the speakers improve in performance.
Sorry but i can't help you with tannoy speakers as i have no experience of them .:(

No worries mate. You still helped me well, and you did your best.

speakers-1989
05-05-2009, 18:24
These look really tasty. Don't know if my Moded Quad 405 will suffice with these though?

How much do these fetch 2nd hand?

http://whathifi.com/Review/Neat-Momentum-3i/

kalozois100
05-05-2009, 18:58
Must be very good sounding.....
however if i were spending that sort of money I d go the whole hog for what i couldn't afford before the,

Acoustic Energy AE1 MkIII SE.

I have a thing for compact speakers but grande sound. i dont think i have the sources or amplification to do them justice though:steam:

speakers-1989
06-05-2009, 13:48
I've had a couple of people say that Rogers speakers go very well with the Quad 405 poweramp. But they didn't say which models though?

Any Rogers fans on here?

speakers-1989
13-05-2009, 12:24
I received my Quad 405 poweramps yesterday. connected them to my TDL speakers and WOW!! These speakers really sing with these amps. Sound is nice, smooth, warm and dynamic. And the vocals has a very nice Presentation. This is the first time I have heard the best out of these TDL speakers. And please note these Quad 405 amps have been modified with modern components for today's standards. And these amps are bridged into 200W.

Anyway, I am still tempted to try out a good sized bookshelf speaker. I keep seeing people saying the Rogers LS7 goes well with the Quad. Any views on these here?

Shane

DSJR
13-05-2009, 12:43
Have you still got the TDL 0.75's? if so, the LS7's will only go a bit louder, that's all and possibly project the mid a bit more, as the TDL's of yours have the mid pulled back a bit to emphasise the bass response (bring the mid and treble up and the bass disappears.....).

Tannoy DC2000's and the even larger DC3000's from twenty years or so ago are HUGE fun. They should be easy to drive and the Quad will give them a lovely organic quality as long as the loading isn't too silly on them (I can't remember and no longer have access to the HiFi Choice "library" from the eighties and nineties that was once available to me).

speakers-1989
13-05-2009, 13:21
Have you still got the TDL 0.75's? if so, the LS7's will only go a bit louder, that's all and possibly project the mid a bit more, as the TDL's of yours have the mid pulled back a bit to emphasise the bass response (bring the mid and treble up and the bass disappears.....).

Tannoy DC2000's and the even larger DC3000's from twenty years or so ago are HUGE fun. They should be easy to drive and the Quad will give them a lovely organic quality as long as the loading isn't too silly on them (I can't remember and no longer have access to the HiFi Choice "library" from the eighties and nineties that was once available to me).

Tannoy DC2000, No thanks:) The Quads really go well with the TDLs (Much better over the NAD) .I might think about looking out for a pair of TDL Studio 0.5. These are even smaller then my ones. Just try them for a laugh and see how they compare to my 0.75M.