PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 101: 08.07.2013: Frank Zappa - The Grand Wazoo (1972)

Album Club
08-07-2013, 18:55
Big thanks to Chris The Grand Wazoo (http://theartofsound.net/forum/member.php?291-The-Grand-Wazoo) for the 101st Album Club selection. Could that be Room 101? ;) (A day early, as "I'm" away with work tomorrow for a couple of days.)

Frank Zappa - 'The Grand Wazoo' (1972)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61RU1ivo9JL._SL500_.jpg

spotify:album:5bZq8O7C36JRzoVND8ZFk6

Frank Zappa - 'The Grand Wazoo' (http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/The+Grand+Wazoo/421686) on Grooveshark

Wikipedia entries:
Album: Frank Zappa - 'The Grand Wazoo' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grand_Wazoo)
Artist: Frank Zappa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Zappa)

Right then, it's time to put my neck on the block!
'The Grand Wazoo' is the album which everyone on AoS associates me with, for better or worse, so I reckon it's about time it was given an airing on Album Club.

So what the hell is a Grand Wazoo??? - A Big Arse?
.....or 'Le Grand Oiseau' - The Big Bird?
Well both of those - as confirmed by FZ: "Anybody in any one of those lodge organizations with a stupid hat on, actually, the guy with the biggest, dumbest hat is the Grand Wazoo."

How do you select one single FZ album? You can't - they are all so different, yet intertwined that it's impossible to choose. I've always had a special thing for this one though, and obviously count it as one of my favourites.

It's jazz....sort of. It's big band jazz....sort of. It's jazz fusion....sort of. It's orchestral jazz....sort of. Apart from some "rum-pum-pum-pums" there's only one track with proper lyrics and it's about a strange encounter with some hitch-hikers (**** see below for the full story). The album is as much about FZ's abilities as a composer and arranger as it is about fantastic musicianship. The music is supposed to represent the ridiculous story that's printed inside the album sleeve - 'The Legend Of Cleetus Awreetus-Awrightus & the Grand Wazoo' (full text here (http://wiki.killuglyradio.com/wiki/The_Legend_Of_Cleetus_Awreetus-Awrightus_%26_the_Grand_Wazoo))

The undoubted masterpiece of this album for me is the final track 'Blessed Relief' which has a 7 piece band playing eight minutes of sheer bliss, though some might find the end of the album comes as a blessed relief for other reasons! It features a sublime, understated and tasteful guitar solo from Frankie, a nice keyboard part from George Duke and some fantastic brass playing from Sal Marquez.

Apart from that, the title track swings like a bastard!

The original album had 'For Calvin (And His Next Two Hitch-Hikers)' as the first track but re-releases for CD put it second in the running order to the title track.

I predict a rather polarised vote for this one!

**** Calvin is Cal Schenkel, the artist who did the covers for a lot of Zappa & the Mothers albums.
The True Story of Calvin & His Hitch-hikers by Cal Schenkel:
"My 39 Pontiac was in the shop & so I had borrowed a car from Frank. It was this 1959 white Mark VIIII Jaguar that used to belong to Captain Beefheart ......... I just left Frank's house & I'm stopped at the corner of Mulholland & Laurel Canyon Blvd waiting for a red light to change, when I notice these 2 hitch-hikers, a hippie couple standing there waiting for a ride. The next thing I know they are getting in the back of the car. I guess they must have thought I offered them a ride (I didn't tell them to come into my car or motion them or anything-- I wasn't even thinking of it), so I ask them where they are going & they didn't say ANYTHING! I drive down Laurel Canyon Blvd past the Log Cabin, past Harry Houdini's, past the country store & into Hollywood.....

I get to the bottom of the hill, I was going to turn right. I kind of asked them "look I'm turning right, do you want to get out here?" They didn't say anything. They were just blank. I figured they were on acid or something. I just couldn't communicate with them. I wasn't sure what to do, so I just continued on to my destination. When I get there I said, "OK, this is where I'm going. Good-bye!" They just stayed in the car & didn't get out.

So I parked the car, got out & went up to my studio & started to work. I was working on the album cover for Uncle Meat. This is in my studio that was a dentist's office over a hotdog joint on Melrose. Every once in a while I'd look out of the window to see if they were gone but they were still sitting in the back seat of the car. An hour or two later, I looked out the window & I noticed they were gone. I thought, "finally!"

Then shortly afterwards, I saw that they were back! They went to the supermarket for a loaf of bread & lunchmeat & started making sandwiches in the back of the car. They were eating their lunch! Then they left."

John
08-07-2013, 19:48
Great choice Chris
Frank was such a talented musician I am looking forward to hearing it again 9 out of 10 for me
As you say this will divide views as its quite avant garde in places and moves in so many directions

The Grand Wazoo
10-07-2013, 09:29
Thanks to Alex.....err....Mr Album Club......for putting my choice up this week.
Well, of course it has to be a ten score from me. I'm playing 'Blessed Relief' now after a week away with almost no music except for a portable player - even through the laptop speakers, this album sounds good to me - the delivery mechanism is not important as the music takes over. Fabulous!

Bazil
12-07-2013, 17:45
I have only ever heard Hot Rats by Zappa, this album will take a bit of getting into its not the sort a thing one can make a fair comment on after one listen.
I'll be back :eyebrows:

synsei
12-07-2013, 17:47
Now this is a fun filled album, 7/10 from me ;)

The Grand Wazoo
12-07-2013, 17:54
Baz:

....I'll be back
Excellent! Yes, there do seem to be several levels to it and it does bear fruits from several plays.

Dave:

.....this is a fun filled album
Do you know TGW already Dave? What is it that you like about it?

walpurgis
12-07-2013, 19:32
I have only ever heard Hot Rats by Zappa, this album will take a bit of getting into its not the sort a thing one can make a fair comment on after one listen.
I'll be back :eyebrows:

If you've only heard Hot Rats, Try a listen to Overnite Sensation, it's a bit more mainstream and a great album.

The Grand Wazoo
12-07-2013, 19:37
Oi you, getcher own Album Club thread!

John
12-07-2013, 19:57
So far so good around the feedback Chris

The Grand Wazoo
12-07-2013, 20:02
Yeah, not a single zero......yet!

synsei
12-07-2013, 20:46
Do you know TGW already Dave? What is it that you like about it?

I am a Zappa virgin Chris, or at least I was until I listened to TGW, and the album made me smile. The songs have a playful, jazzy feel to them and to me it felt as if the musicians were really enjoying themselves. The title track is excellent :)

Rare Bird
12-07-2013, 21:11
At last something promising (jesus this topic dont half reap so real shit taste in choices)
However back to this choice.i'm more of an early mothers fan. l've never
thought of giving this Zappa fuzzy a go.'72! ill give it a blast &
repot back to base

The Grand Wazoo
12-07-2013, 21:18
Heh-heh! Nice one Andre.

walpurgis
12-07-2013, 23:03
Oi you, getcher own Album Club thread!

Now, Now, Chris. Frank belongs to everybody.

What a genius! Amazing guitarist, such clever and funny lyrics. Brilliant music that's a totally original blend of rock, jazz and bits of all sorts of others. You really can't knock it, he's been one of my all time favourites since I was a youngster. (by the way, nobody's mentioned 'Joe's Garage' yet)

The Grand Wazoo
12-07-2013, 23:17
Well, I've always thought that Frankie made at least one track for anyone's individual taste and 'Overnite Sensation' has to be one of the more approachable of his albums - that & 'Apostrophe', I suppose.

walpurgis
12-07-2013, 23:53
How about 'Moving to Montana'?

The Grand Wazoo
13-07-2013, 00:03
I would, but I went there a few years back for a holiday and I had my Zircon encrusted tweezers confiscated while I was riding right along the border-line on my pygmy pony. There's no profit in dennal floss if you ain't got the gear to harvest it!

Bazil
13-07-2013, 06:19
I would, but I went there a few years back for a holiday and I had my Zircon encrusted tweezers confiscated while I was riding right along the border-line on my pygmy pony. There's no profit in dennal floss if you ain't got the gear to harvest it!

:scratch: Zappa speak I take it ?

The Grand Wazoo
13-07-2013, 09:08
Yes, we're referring to a track called 'Montana' from the 'Overnite Sensation' album - a tale of the yearning of a young man to move into the dental floss farming industry!
There's a great live clip of it here - skip to about 3' 10" to avoid the preamble and band intros. Two drummers and a percussionist - a common sight at Zappa gigs.

di2B3HDXjmI

Tim
13-07-2013, 09:11
Well Frank Zappa has never really worked for me, not sure why? I saw him back in the 70's at Hammersmith and that didn't work, I have a couple of albums which I never play and I saw Dweezil Zappa (Zappa Plays Zappa) in 2010 and that didn't work either. I have a similar reaction to FZ as I do for solo Richard Thompson work, who I also have a blind spot for. I totally get that they are great musicians, but I have never been able to connect with their music, despite trying numerous times with both.

I'll give it a 3/10 purely on its musicianship and arrangement, but its really not for me Chris.

keiths
13-07-2013, 09:18
I'm approaching this one with some trepidation. I've so far managed to avoid liking Zappa and am dreading the expense that would be involved should I suddenly become a fan.

The Grand Wazoo
13-07-2013, 09:34
You haven't found 'your' Zappa track (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?26725-Album-Club-Week-101-08-07-2013-Frank-Zappa-The-Grand-Wazoo-(1972)&p=462183#post462183) yet then Tim?

Rare Bird
13-07-2013, 09:35
O dear me i had to turn it off after 15 mins, i do not like this LP at all, Now if it were 'We're Only In It For The Money' it would have got a 10/10..

Sorry Chris.

The Grand Wazoo
13-07-2013, 09:38
Should anyone be interested in exploring the wider Zappa catalogue, you may like to read my mammoth post on the subject which I did some time ago on AoS: Zappalogue (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?2347-Zappalogue&highlight=zappalogue)

Tim
13-07-2013, 10:03
You haven't found 'your' Zappa track (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?26725-Album-Club-Week-101-08-07-2013-Frank-Zappa-The-Grand-Wazoo-(1972)&p=462183#post462183) yet then Tim?
Not yet Chris - I may have another go with him one day soon, but for now I have just reached my Zappa limit with this one ;)

The Grand Wazoo
13-07-2013, 10:06
Andre, I thought you might struggle with it! Aynsley's drumming on the title track couldn't even do it for you then, eh?

Rare Bird
13-07-2013, 10:21
No Chris
It's just worlds apart from what i like about the early Mothers albums..I'm now struggling with why you choose that album as your user name when there be better LP's of his! I guess tho it's like me binding on about 'Brain Salad Surgery' when i'm not that much of a fan of it.

The Grand Wazoo
13-07-2013, 10:24
..I'm now struggling with why you choose that album as your user name when there be better LP's of his!

Yeah, well 'Uncle Meat' is willy waving and that's banned here!

walpurgis
13-07-2013, 12:24
For people who don't like Zappa, I've only got one thing to say 'Dumb All Over'! ;)

Bazil
15-07-2013, 19:47
Ok, I have given this a few listens and its a very complex listen to my ears but then I do not like jazz of any description.
Very talented musicianship obviously but its too late in the game for me to become a Zappa fan, isn't it ?

5/10

Barry
15-07-2013, 22:58
I suppose your choice for the Album Club Chris would have to had been 'The Grand Wazoo'! :lol:

I've played it twice now and am giving it 9/10.

There's a lot I could say about TGW and why it is not my favourite Zappa disc, but give me a few more days to put my thoughts in order. One thing however, playing TGW encouraged me to have a bit of a Zappafest recently, playing discs from a large part of his musical career: Absolutely Free; Uncle Meat; Burnt Weeny Sandwich; Electric Aunt Jamima; Hot Rats; Waka Jawaka; Yellow Shark; Adventures of Gregory Peccary etc.

And that can't be a bad thing! :)

The Grand Wazoo
15-07-2013, 23:27
........its too late in the game for me to become a Zappa fan, isn't it ? Oh gosh, Baz, I don't know about that!

The Grand Wazoo
15-07-2013, 23:29
There's a lot I could say about TGW and why it is not my favourite Zappa disc, but give me a few more days to put my thoughts in order.
Can't wait!

And that can't be a bad thing! :)
Absolutely not.

Ashmore
17-07-2013, 20:31
oh how I want to like Zappa. Like a taste for olives, I feel that I ought to be kind of bloke who really gets it.

But thus far my tentative forays have left me a bit bemused. WTF is this bloke going on about? I can do absurd better than most so I should get it. But I don't.

However I'm pleased to say I did enjoy the intrumentals here. Nicely unusual and well recorded. I may delve into your long post in a mo, and then seek out some more of the instrumental stuff.

Who knows once I tune in some more maybe i'll start to get the lyrical stuff too. It took me ten years to like olives. Now I love them. I think.

Canetoad
24-07-2013, 11:11
Sorry, I kept thinking I was listening to the soundtrack from a cheap, animated movie! Explains why I don't have any of this albums in my collection. Two out of Ten for me.

The Grand Wazoo
24-07-2013, 16:29
2/10? - excellent! You're not the lowest though.
Thanks for trying.

MartinT
24-07-2013, 20:00
I'm a complete Zappa novice and have mostly avoided him as the few times I've seen his gigs on TV I've scratched my head at the seemingly meandering and tuneless music played by a large number of folk who appear to getting on down and leaving me completely behind. So, with trepidation, I'm playing it with some welly via Spotify and will let you know when I've reached the other end.

I do love olives, though!

Barry
24-07-2013, 22:38
I'm a complete Zappa novice and have mostly avoided him as the few times I've seen his gigs on TV I've scratched my head at the seemingly meandering and tuneless music played by a large number of folk who appear to getting on down and leaving me completely behind. So, with trepidation, I'm playing it with some welly via Spotify and will let you know when I've reached the other end.

I do love olives, though!

Enjoy the experience!

MartinT
25-07-2013, 10:38
Well, I did try quite hard. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy the experience at all. There must be a key to unlocking it but my brain started rejection around 15 mins in and I was in danger of life a little later. Sorry! 2/10 on the basis that I have to leave room for Britney...

sparrow
25-07-2013, 14:51
I own quite a few Zappa LP's this is one of them and one of quite a few I dont like much...will spin again tonight to see if my opinion can be swayed..

The Grand Wazoo
25-07-2013, 17:24
One of the reasons for choosing this album was that it's quite a way from the albums that he's best known for, so for many people probably uncharted territory. As predicted it's turning out to show a wide range of opinion.

keiths
31-07-2013, 14:01
I rather enjoyed this - jazzy but different. 'Blessed Relief' definately the standout. 7/10

pjdowns
14-09-2013, 15:00
I really quite like this album - 8/10 from me Chris :)