PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV 3

pjdowns
07-07-2013, 17:00
I would highly recommend the Apple TV 3. I've had a version 2 and recently got the 3 which has the added bonus of 1080p output which makes a big difference to the picture.

It's also very easy to use. I'd recommend using wired connection (Ethernet) especially if you have a 3 as you'll be streaming more detailed files.

I use Handbrake to import my movies onto my iMac and have them stored on an external hard drive.

Only negative I suppose is that the online movies through iTunes are not very cheap but you do get to watch them in a 48 hour period. Also you have to have a machine running with iTunes installed which I have no problem with but I know people may.

Overall a great product, easy to use and relatively cheap to purchase.

TimJ
16-12-2013, 11:32
I know this was posted a while ago! but i have to agree, we were at the Trafford centre couple of weeks ago getting the new ipad air & decided to get the apple tv as well. We decided to get the tv from J.Lewis as we had a voucher! but then realized we also get a 2 year warranty as well. So hooked it up, good picture & very impressed. Basically use it for apple air purposes, mrs sends her iplayer etc to the tv. Use ours all wireless & do not have any issues. Good little buy :-)

julesd68
16-12-2013, 12:25
Hi Tim,

What's the quality of the streaming you are getting from i-player to the TV? Does it play totally smoothly like a film rented from itunes or do you get any 'stepping' and little pauses and glitches?

cheers.

TimJ
19-12-2013, 19:16
It is via hdmi to my yamaha av amp, then to tv but wireless from my wireless airport extreme. I am on plusnets top fibre package in a reasonable 50+mbps area so that will help things i presume. I have no issues with airplay either, all works smoothly and efficiently for me from either ipads or iphones.
Hope that helps!

julesd68
20-12-2013, 10:45
Thanks Tim - I think your fibre broadband must make all the difference!

TimJ
20-12-2013, 19:45
No probs :-)

webby
01-10-2014, 16:11
I've just bought an Apple TV 3 mainly for airplaying streams to the TV but I do have an issue with another feature; watching videos from my iphoto library. The playback catches up the stream and has to wait. I don't know why this is happening.

Any thoughts?