PDA

View Full Version : Background to Members.

DaveK
25-04-2009, 19:59
Hi all,
I am proposing a new thread but would not be too upset if the Admin/Mods kicked it into touch before it got off the ground due to privacy/data protection/Health and Safety or any other considerations.
The theme was prompted by me reading a couple of posts in which the poster referred to his being slightly Aspergic and another member was seeking help on a set up suitable for a handicapped friend. It occurred to me that music may be a sort of therapy for some of our imperfections, and from that came the thought: - I wonder if there is any corelation between our backgrounds, pastimes, health problems etc. and our tastes in music.
I'll start the ball rolling and waive any rights I may have under any of the above legislation.:)
I am 69 (next month), keen on bird watching and most wild life (can't stand Grey Squirrels, Rats and Ring Doves), have a small overstocked Koi pond, enjoy photography and to a lesser extent video cameras, used to be a SCUBA diver with over 200 dives around the world (until a minor TIA after which my doc suggested that I stop :steam:), been interested in computers since the Sinclair ZX 48K Spectrum, (younger members will find information in museums and archives etc.), suffered from Chronic Cluster Headaches and Migraines for ever, married with 2 grown up (single) children, no grandkids but 3 Persian cats, an untidy loft, garage, office/very small den and garden shed.
One benefit of such a thread is that it makes every member who contributes less of a faceless (but friendly) stranger when you communicate with them. Them as don't want to take part needn't, thereby maintaining their privacy.
Any support for contributing to the thread?
Dave.

John
27-04-2009, 07:02
If you click onto a person name you see a section called "about me" this is for members to fill in should they choose to do so

DaveK
27-04-2009, 07:35
Hi John,
Thanks for that. I'm a newbwie around here and still finding my way !!
Dave.

John
27-04-2009, 07:40
Hi Dave
No worries it does take a bit of time

Steve Toy
27-04-2009, 08:44
This thread is actually a really good idea. Yes we can put personal info in our profiles but that does not generate the kind of communicative exchange that we could enjoy here.

We can all put in or leave out what we like here but lets try and cast aside the suspicion and paranoia often associated with online communities. I see no harm in giving a little of yourself in order that we be a community of real people.

Tom472
28-04-2009, 16:44
Excellent idea, I had a similar idea for a thread along the lines of "parallel hobbies / interests" thinking that's there's probably some correlation between audio and other interests. My current and former interests are:

Electronics (and general tinkering)
Classic cars (more general tinkering / restoration)
Music (electric and acoustic guitar - some tinkering here too!)
Good food and good wine (and good ale too)
Wildlife and travel.

My background - I'm 25, unmarried, an accountant and have a background (a degree) in Electronic Engineering.

Cheers
Tom

DaveK
28-04-2009, 20:00
Thanks to all current contributors - glad someone else can see some benefit. I'll add a bit to my information by saying that I am a Metallurgist by training and have spent almost all my 50 year working life in a wide range of metal melting companies, mainly ferritic. (I can even understand why single crystal wires and interconnects are better !!! - many years at 'Tech' finally came in useful !!):lolsign:
Dave.
PS. BTW, for the benefit of a newbie, what is the difference between 'Post Reply' and 'Post Quick Reply'?
Dave.

John
28-04-2009, 20:05
Basically the post reply allows you to access:):lol::cool:fonts size colour etc while the post quick reply is just straight forward text but still allows you some basic functions such as colour and bold

DaveK
28-04-2009, 20:57
Thanks John - now I know !!
Dave.