PDA

View Full Version : Replacement bearings for the Garrard 301

Wakefield Turntables
16-06-2013, 21:26
I just wondered if anyone had tried any of the other bearings other than the stock standard 301. I'm looking at a replacement for mine and any help would be useful.

Clive
16-06-2013, 22:02
Check the northwest analogue site, there's a review link there with my thoughts.

The Grand Wazoo
16-06-2013, 22:10
If you decide to buy one (whichever you may choose), then do your research on the maker of it and be especially sure that they have a good track record of delivering what they say they'll deliver and in good time.
I'll say no more on the subject, but I don't say this lightly Andrew.

Wakefield Turntables
17-06-2013, 08:00
I've been told to avoid Kokomo by several people and reading reports on the net. NWA, Classic hifi, and red beard are to name but a few.... Looks like some serious research is needed.

Clive
17-06-2013, 08:12
Re delivery times - all the people who supply these bearings are small outfits, probably with single suppliers for individual parts so there's no backup when things go wrong It doesn't take much for a supplier to be late with parts, even holidays make a big difference and if they receive a large order for some high value non-hifi parts they will focus on this. Worse still is when the supplier decides unexpectedly to retire or has a medical problem. Certainly check on the expected supply situation but even expectations can be derailed.

Wakefield Turntables
17-06-2013, 10:44
Clive,

Thanks for your thoughts. I notice you have a NWA bearing. What are your thoughts on this compared to stock bearing in the 301?

Clive
17-06-2013, 11:00
Clive,

Thanks for your thoughts. I notice you have a NWA bearing. What are your thoughts on this compared to stock bearing in the 301?
Hi Andrew,

The review at http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0213/northwest_analog.htm by myself.

Wakefield Turntables
17-06-2013, 12:29
Stonking stuff many thanks.

Wakefield Turntables
18-06-2013, 07:42
Hmmm just been reading about the red beard bearing for lenco's. I think I will be bypassing this one due to issues with quality and also the very large waiting times (20 months) in some instances that people have been haing to wait. This is both useful and maddening. Useful because it's one less bearing to worry about, maddening in that I will never hear what this bearing could do..... Never mind.

DiveDeepDog
20-06-2013, 00:29
Andrew, clear your inbox :doh:

oldius
20-06-2013, 07:53
My opinion, and I have both a 401 with standard bearing and a Goldring G99 with "superbearing" is that the standard Garrard bearing is an excellent piece of engineering and does not need replacing.

The "JC loves music" replacement thrust pad is a great piece of kit and will cost you £25.

I have no experience of the NWA bearing but I have no doubt, based on my experience of Dominic's work, that it'll be a great product backed by first class service.

Wakefield Turntables
20-06-2013, 13:46
Done send me your pm!