PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 97: 11.06.2013: Joan Armatrading - Joan Armatrading (1976)

Album Club
11-06-2013, 19:26
Submitted by Martin (MartinT (http://theartofsound.net/forum/member.php?108-MartinT))

http://coolalbumreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Joan_Armatrading_-_Joan_Armatrading.jpg

I have owned the self-titled Joan Armatrading ever since it was released and it stands head and shoulders above anything Joan has done ever since. It’s actually her third album, although the first two are not very well known. A collection of wonderful and memorable songs, not least the galactic class Love and Affection, beautifully sung and with outstanding production quality from Glyn Johns. Her voice soars and the acoustic guitars are very well captured. The band are tight and propel things forwards with gusto. I was surprised to read that the album only went gold as there was a time when nearly everyone I knew had a copy.

This album is one of the best system tests I know. Many a time I have played Down to Zero and can tell immediately if the system is performing well or not. Something about the presentation, the vivid acoustic guitar, that voice and its sheer boogie factor separates the nice from the great systems. If this album doesn’t sound dynamic and exciting, your system is flat and dull, no question. Watch out for Save Me, which is very sibilant on her voice.

The vinyl pressings are superb sounding but the early CD release is to be avoided as it is flat and undynamic. I am lucky enough to own the rare Nimbus vinyl pressing which is outstanding.

Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Joan-Armatrading/dp/B000006V8O/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1367005646&sr=1-4&keywords=joan+armatrading (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Joan-Armatrading/dp/B000006V8O/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1367005646&sr=1-4&keywords=joan+armatrading)

Spotify:
spotify:album:3wKouVhrEkGmdgnASErALn
spotify:album:3wKouVhrEkGmdgnASErALn

YouTube: Love and Affection live on The Old Grey Whistle Test.
6Z6QpV4UtnA

Further listening:
My next favourite album of Joan Armatrading’s is What’s Inside, a closely mic’d stunner of a recording with a collection of outstanding and memorable songs. In this case, the CD is one of the very best in my collection.

John
11-06-2013, 19:53
Great album
I am looking forward to hearing this again

Alex_UK
11-06-2013, 21:11
I'm never sure if I like her, I've only got 18 of her albums... :eyebrows: I don't play them enough to be honest - and this is a very good place to start the reacquaintance - cheers Martin - looking forward to a spin or three before showing my hand on the voting. :)

Barry
12-06-2013, 16:56
Gordon Bennett! Who was the numpty who gave it 1/10?

This is a fantastic album, not only for Armatrading's songwriting skills but, as has been noted, it's a damned good LP with which to test your system.

My vinyl copy was pressed by Nimbus, and it pays to buy the best pressing you can find. Not surprisingly there are 'audiophile' pressings available of this title.

Every music collection should contain a copy - 10/10 from me.

Oldpinkman
12-06-2013, 17:43
Not me. Just given it 10. It's my default test record too. 2nd one to get played after HiFi News test record on a system setup. And wonderful natural rhythmic music. Very jealous of the Nimbus copy cos mine would have appreciated more TLC in my uni days. And I like "Love & Affection" as my single track from the album, but with one eye, a wobbly hand, and a jelly on a plate turntable I don't always get it. Hell, I can miss the side of the record trying to cue the whole side :eyebrows:

The Grand Wazoo
12-06-2013, 18:37
I've never really got on with the armour plated one, but in the spirit of Album Club, I'll promise to leave my previous biases at the door.
Back later!

Audioman
13-06-2013, 19:57
Great Record 10/10 - Nimbus Supercut or Speakers Corner 180g vinyl recommended. Produced by Glyn Johns who can do no wrong IMO. Also would recommend the follow up release from Joan - Show Some Emotion. She changed style and producers on later releases and they are rather less compelling as a result. Lost interest mid 80's but have heard good things about her recent stuff. This reminds me to investigate.

DSJR
13-06-2013, 20:45
We played this record non stop in dems for six months (we may have replaced the original LP by then) and a certain senior member of staff got so annoyed he folded and broke the record in half.. I couldn't listen to this for years after, even though I have a rather tasty Nimbus recut which sounds so much better than the original LP ever did :)

This album holds a very special place in my heart and recent playing of fresh digital files (thanks Alex :)) reminded me just how good the songs and production were :respect:

Gordon Steadman
13-06-2013, 21:05
This has been played regularly at Chez Nodrog since 1976. Great album, by far my favourite of hers. As said, a great test record.

Alex_UK
13-06-2013, 21:20
Very few albums would get 10 out of 10 from me, so a 9 is stupendous. :)

Bazil
18-06-2013, 20:00
Have never heard the album but Love and Affection is the first track I ever heard on a proper Hi-Fi and is responsible for me starting out buying the stuff.
I went with a friend who was picking up an amp from I think an outfit called Ace Audio, the dealer was playing the track and I was gob smacked at the sound.

Bazil
21-06-2013, 18:17
Very nice album but not my thing , never tire of hearing Love and Affection though 7/10.

The Grand Wazoo
24-06-2013, 22:56
It turns out that I'm much more familiar with this album than I thought I was!
However, after a couple of spins, I still can't really feel that I'm really gripped by it. I don't find it offensive or anything so I gave it a 6/10 - maybe a few more plays & I'll see the light?

MartinT
25-06-2013, 04:46
Oops, late for my own Album Club offering :)
Well, I really do play it just about more than any other record I own, and that Nimbus pressing is still going strong. It just has to be 10/10 from me.

pjdowns
24-08-2013, 16:37
A sublime album by Joan Armatrading. I have this on both CD and Vinyl but it still sounds better on Vinyl :)

synsei
24-08-2013, 16:59
Nice album this, in fact this is the second time I've listened to it today. 9/10 from me :)