PDA

View Full Version : Which amp for my desktop audio system?

Krisbee
23-04-2009, 20:10
I listen to classical music in a small room (3m x 2.5m) at relatively low volumes. I'm using what I'd call a desktop audio system. My PC, running Linux, feeds the excellent TC-7250 DAC (with LM4562 op amps) via the USB connection. I'm using AVI neutron 3 speakers. For the moment I have press ganged my old Rotel RA-820BX3 amp into service. I have a newer Rotel RA-01, but that's located elsewhere.

I'm using the DAC as a pre-amp, its connected to the tape input of the amp. The amp's volume is full on, and I control volume from the DAC. This bypasses any software volume control or mixing on the PC. Linux doesn't need ASIOALL etc. I listen at a level with the DAC volume at around 10 or 11 o'clock, occasionally a little higher.

Disability means my mobility is not so good, and this set up is the most convenient with the DAC volume control within finger tip reach. But the amp has to sit on a bookcase shelf with limited rear clearance and that makes cabling a bit awkward.

Now I'm trying to decide if it is worth changing the amp or not. Money is tight and £200 is the max I could spend. So far I've considered these options:

1.Continue using the RA-820BX3 until it finally goes to audio heaven.
2.Getting a tripath amp, like the Bantam sold by temple audio @ £90.
3.Getting a s/hand quad 306 power amp @ £150-200 on Ebay.

Option 1 doesn't really scratch the itch, but costs nothing. I've never really been sure how good or bad the RA-820BX3 is. I don't know if it's getting the best out my AVI speakers. It's over 20 years old and although never heavily used or abused, some of its electronics (capacitors, etc.) must be a bit tired by now.

Option 2 uses less energy and meets my space/convenience criteria. But there's a question mark over its ability to drive my speakers and it's restricted in its application. I can't listen before I buy, but temple audio do offer a money back guarantee. At least one other member is pleased with a combination of TC-7520 and bantam amp which he uses to drive a pair of 4ohm Dynaudio 42 speakers.

Option 3 doesn't use any less energy, but the quad 306 is a neat and compact unit. Although I'd have to buy s/hand, it has a good reputation for reliability and is a popular choice for classical music lovers. Obviously, it's a completely different animal to a tripath amp, in a different league. I can't listen before I buy, so any quantitative improvement over my Rotel is a bit of an unknown. But will the quad 306 even work with the TC-7520 DAC used as a pre-amp? The quad's input sensitivity is quoted as 0.375v. In comparison, the RA-820BX3 CD and tape inputs are quoted as 250mV/20 kohms. If this means the quad input is a lot more sensitive than the Rotel then this could be a problem.

I'd be the first to admit my first hand knowledge of various amps is very limited, so I could well be talking rubbish. I'd be happy to be put right.

So what do you think? Should I just enjoy what I have and forget about a change? Are tripath amps too limited to be worth considering? Is investing in s/hand quad 306 worthwhile and likely to bring significant sonic benefits to my set up and be a good match with my AVI speakers?

Covenant
23-04-2009, 20:32
I have been using a Tripath amp for over a year now with efficient speakers and it performs well. It started life as a Trends TA101 but has been upgraded so that other than the case and the volume control there is nothing remaining of the original. I keep thinking I should change it but it sounds so good I keep putting it off.

DSJR
23-04-2009, 20:36
Send a begging letter to Ash at AVI. He may consider a good deal on the little amp packs they used to do. These are 200W amps that will bolt on the back of the Neutrons (they certainly fit the N5's I'm informed) and are as good as any they've made I believe.

Failing that, the little T amp is well received within it's limitations.

If Ash cannot help you, then I'd consider a fettled Quad 405-2, a late one preferably that isn't a mk1 updated, as these had phono inputs fitted as standard. If you can get one in good order, they sound great with speakers like yours, with depth and tunefulness - it's the Quad preamps like the limp-wristed 34 with 306 (ugh!!) you have to watch out for, although these latter two items can be breathed upon to improve them apparently...

405-2's can be further fettled now larger value supply caps can be obtained for the same physical size (a problem back then) and people like DADA Electronics have all sorts of goodies to tweak them further in what appears to be a genuine way (not mindless "bodging").

aquapiranha
25-04-2009, 09:44
I would go with the Tripath, a fantastic amp that deserves to do beter but I believe it's low cost puts people off - they simply cannot believe that something so inexpensive can sound so good. A Trends TA10.1 would fit the bill, and in more ways than one.

Krisbee
25-04-2009, 15:43
Well, the tripath is getting all the votes so far. At least no one has trashed the RA-820BX3, or are they just too polite to say so? But no votes for the quad 306 idea :(

Turning my neutrons in active speakers is definitely something to think about.

I did come close to buying the TA-10.1 about a year ago but the price jumped from around £90 to £140 and I ended up spending the money on the DAC.

I should say I bought both my Rotel amps years before the blues lover in me turned away from the devil's music and found my piece of heaven elsewhere. Hence my feeling, right or wrong, that an alternative amp might be more suitable.

I suppose for the sake of comparison I should really make an attempt to swap my rotel amps round, particularly as my other system is idle.

Puffin
01-05-2009, 19:33
Krisbee. You have PM.

I have just read the first post. I would say that a Tripath 2024 based amp and a Quad 306 are likely to be like Chalk and Cheese. The Tripath based amps (depending on taste) have been said to artificially "twinkly" and a bit bright. On the other hand they are said to be crisp and detailed. it depends on how you like your amps to sound and your point of view.

I would have said the Quad is lilkely to sound dull in comparison, but not neccessarily if heard in isolation. They will both perform differently.

The Tripath amps will provide more power into 4ohm speakers, but are not likely to give more than 8 Watts into 4 ohms before distortion levels rise. You may not hear the distortion as such, but as a hardening of the sound. If your speakers are fairly sensitive or you don't have a massive room, they will be fine.

Krisbee
02-05-2009, 11:44
Puffin,

Thanks, I've caught up with my messages now.

Things are still in the melting pot, but for now I managed to swap my rotel amps over. The ra-01 had been idle for quite a while and it took a day or so to settle. It seems to be a bit more dynamic with a little more in the bottom end compared to the old rotel amp.