PDA

View Full Version : Films about music

John
22-04-2009, 19:34
I am just wondering does anyone know any films that for them capture something personal about music, that somehow conveys some feeling or idea associated with music
I have two that both deal with Obsession to some degree; always a good theme to explore around music and film!
Amadus a Great film that combines image and music in equal measure
The Red Violin The story about a mythical violin called the red violin and its journey. One of the things I love about the film is how some of themes get played again like a Concerto

Beechwoods
22-04-2009, 20:07
24 Hour Party People captures the spirit of the Manchester music scene with real fondness and accuracy. Anyone who knows anything about any of the seminal Manchester bands will laugh when they spot things that they've read or heard about in that film. It is extremely well written and played as well. I love the part where the Sex Pistols play Manchester and there are about 20 people in the audience, and all of them are future members of bands that were to make it big under the Factory banner :)

I'm trying to remember some films that were musically themed, but not about a particular scene. Hopefully something will come to me because it's bugging me now!

John
23-04-2009, 04:21
i must watch 24 hour party people

aquapiranha
23-04-2009, 07:56
Walk the line?

Spinal tap?

John
23-04-2009, 08:00
Yes I seen both walk the Line a great Johnny Cash story
I love Spinal tap for anyone who has liked metal this has moments of comic genius

Spectral Morn
23-04-2009, 09:39
Alice's Restaurant....

Not really a film about music but it is a comedy set in the late 60's and features Arlo Guthrie.

Love the bit with the judge and the local police think they have the hippies for a crime involving garbage i.e. not putting it in the right place. Lots of visual evidence and the judge is blind....:lol: Its a great film IMHO.

Love Spinal Tap too...but I think you need to be into heavy rock/metal to really get it....all the finer points anyway.

Regards D S D L

Barry
23-04-2009, 13:02
Let's have a think -

'Amadeus' certainly, a brilliant film - try to get hold of the 'director's cut' (actually the opposite of a cut; it has been extended by 30 minutes).

'Immortal Beloved': a film about Beethoven, with Gary Oldman playing the part of Beethoven.

'Song of Summer': a film made by the BBC in the mid '70s, about the life of Delius, played by Max Adrian.

'Mahler', 'Listomania' and 'The Music Lovers': 'hatchet jobs' perpetrated by Ken Russell on Mahler, List and Tchaikovsky respectively.

'Birdland': an excellent film by Clint Eastwood on the life of Charlie Parker.

'Lady Sings the Blues': biopic about Billie Holiday, surprisingly well played by Diana Ross.

'Ray': again a very good film about the life of Ray Charles.

'The Blues': a series of seven films by Martin Scorsese. Excellent, but probably only of interest to fans of blues music. I am, of course, a fully paid up member of such a club.

'Walk the Line': which has already been mentioned. For some reason, I didn't really take to it.

'Nancy and Sid': about the life of Sid Vicious, played by Gary Oldman and directed, I think, by Julian Temple.

'Piaff': biopic of Edith Piaff, the French chanteuse.

'This is Spinal Tap': if only for the 'up to 11' joke.

'Alice's Restaurant': again as has been mentioned, but memorable for the rendition of Joni Mitchell's song 'Songs to Aging Children Come' played during the funeral scene.

'Sympathy for the Devil': a rather obscure film by Jean Luc Goddard, charting the development of the eponymous song 'staring' the Rolling Stones.

'Crossroads': about a young and hopeful blues guitarist; with similarities to the second 'Blues Brothers' film.

'The Blues Brothers' and 'Blues Brothers 2000': for the excellent music and to see how many famous faces you can spot (especially in the second film).

'The Doors': another 'hatchet job', this time perpetrated by Oliver Stone.

'The Last Waltz': interesting, but overlong film, about The Band by Martin Scorsese.

'Hard Days Night': a film made by Richard Lester on the Beatles. Also 'Help': but to my mind this is not as good as the first film.

That's all I can think of for the moment - no doubt some more will come to me later.

Barry

PS There is the 2007 film: 'I'm Not There', about Bob Dylan but I have yet to see it, so cannot comment.

Barry
23-04-2009, 14:03
I have just thought of two more, though they capture the spirit of the '60s, rather than any personal message:

'Monterey Pop', especially for the footage of Janis Joplin, Ravi Shankar and Hendrix.

'Woodstock', for just about everything.

And I have also remembered:

'200 Motels', about life on the road of a fictitious rock band; sex, drugs and rock and roll, 'starring': Frank Zappa, Ringo Starr and Mark Volman. I was dissappointed when I saw the film on its release (very early '70s), despite the film featuring the music of Zappa; pace Chris (The Grand Wazzo and Zappa afficionado).

Barry

John
23-04-2009, 17:21
Interesting selection there Barry a few I have not seen I must see Birdland as love Clint Eastwood as a director

The Grand Wazoo
23-04-2009, 17:46
Most of the Scorsese Blues ones are great. One of them 'Piano Blues' is directed by Clint Eastwood.

Barry
28-04-2009, 09:32
I should also have mentioned:

'Shine': an excellent film about the troubled pianist David Helfgott, played by Geoffry Rush.

Barry