PDA

View Full Version : cannot post pictures.

struth
05-06-2013, 21:51
been advised by Marco to start this as I now cannot get pictures to post..get various messages like invalid file etc...tried Photobucket and imageshack...used to work....on photo bucket I resized to under 1000 width as advised but to no avail.

any thoughts...

Rare Bird
05-06-2013, 21:54
Ive just tried a couple of IMG links from my hosting account, work fine for me.

struth
05-06-2013, 21:58
I have tried images that I have already posted before and they will not work..........very odd....been like this all week...

Beechwoods
05-06-2013, 22:05
Post up a direct link to one of your image URLs (just paste the URL here) and we'll see what we can do to help.

Are you trying to load the image as an Attachment, or via the IMG code?

Hmmmmmm... it does look like there's something odd going on trying to load attachments, which is what the icon in the post window tries to do by default. It used to just wrap IMG tags round the URL.

Manually typing around an image URL works. I'll need to look into this.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11179333/AOS%20Photos/cd-readers-digest.jpg

struth
05-06-2013, 22:08
http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj505/struthsbowler/DSC00255.jpg

The Grand Wazoo
05-06-2013, 22:12
When I use the image button in the Reply dialogue box, I get a choice of inserting a picture 'From Computer' or 'From URL'. If I select the latter, I get a chance to paste a URL into a box. Below that there is a tick box option:

Retrieve remote file and reference locally

I've unticked it & it's worked every time for me. But I have to untick it every time. Does this have something to do with your problem?

struth
05-06-2013, 22:12
Was just doing it in the usual way..clicking on the insert image icon, then from url.

struth
05-06-2013, 22:15
AH HA!...BINGO THAT WORKS...NICE ONE......NEVER HAD TO DO THAT BEFORE...THANK:eek:

Beechwoods
Sorted. I disabled the 'Advanced Image Upload Option' and the Image option now acts like it also used to. You don't have to worry about unchecking that box now Grant.

I wasn't particularly excited that VB4 was trying to have the forum act as an image host anyway, as that just chews up our expensive disk space ;)

Seems there is a bug with the 'Advanced Image Upload Option' which was supposed to be fixed in VB 4.1.8 but I'm not so sure it was as you're describing the exact bug Chris.

Anyway, I'm happy that we have the good old simple 'IMG' tags back off the back of the button in the Message Reply box :)

twickers
When I use the image button in the Reply dialogue box, I get a choice of inserting a picture 'From Computer' or 'From URL'. If I select the latter, I get a chance to paste a URL into a box. Below that there is a tick box option:

I've unticked it & it's worked every time for me. But I have to untick it every time. Does this have something to do with your problem?

I had that too. If you untick the box it works ok.

struth
05-06-2013, 22:19
THANKS ALL.....why did i have caps lock on....doh!!!

The Grand Wazoo
05-06-2013, 22:20
All is good!

Beechwoods
05-06-2013, 22:23
Totes amaze :)

ashleyk
06-06-2013, 15:05
I'm just trying this as a test because I have also had problems uploading images via a URL previously but not using the standard uploader.

http://www.sunnymede.net/screenshots/IMG_1919.jpg

Beechwoods
06-06-2013, 15:10
Looks good Ashley!

ashleyk
06-06-2013, 15:13
Looks good Ashley!

I just ran into the same problem again while trying to create an avatar. When I attempted to use the URL it came up with this error message:

http://www.sunnymede.net/screenshots/921.jpg

It seems that where there is only an option to insert an image via URL it works fine but where there is an option to use a URL or upload from the desktop it throws up an error message when attempting to link from a URL. I have my own VPS, so using my server would save the forum bandwidth and also allow me to insert higher quality files because they aren't so compressed.

Beechwoods
06-06-2013, 15:26
Thanks for the heads up. I'll take a look when I get a chance but may post a 'how-to' on the workaround in the meantime.

MartinT
07-06-2013, 19:10
You want to straighten that wonky ECC82, though...

ashleyk
07-06-2013, 20:03
You want to straighten that wonky ECC82, though...

It's been in storage for years and I won't have the amp for a couple of weeks but no doubt there will be a few little jobs to to sort out.