PDA

View Full Version : Scheduled downtime on Monday 3rd June 2013

Marco
01-06-2013, 08:08
From Nick's main notice:

The forum will be unavailable on Monday morning, 3rd June for scheduled maintenance, while we upgrade to the latest version of vBulletin 4.

The downtime should be in the morning (UK time) only and we expect to have the forum back by lunchtime. Any 'unexpected extensions' to this will be posted on our Twitter and Facebook pages, but we expect the work to be uneventful, and have the forum back in time for me to enjoy the rest of the day in the garden with a cold beer!

Many thanks, Nick // Beechwoods

StanleyB
04-06-2013, 09:54
The downtime should be in the morning (UK time) only and we expect to have the forum back by lunchtime. Any 'unexpected extensions' to this will be posted on our Twitter and Facebook pages, but we expect the work to be uneventful, and have the forum back in time for me to enjoy the rest of the day in the garden with a cold beer!
That was a long lunch that I had to take. I am going to have to do overtime on the bike to burn off those extra calories. But glad to see the fix worked.

MartinT
04-06-2013, 10:13
We're all mighty glad, Stan!

Spectral Morn
04-06-2013, 10:59
Must say I really don't like the look of the forum or the change in function, no doubt I will get used to it but so far yuck - sorry.

However it is good that AOS is back and working once again.

Regards Neil

Reffc
04-06-2013, 11:55
Must say I really don't like the look of the forum or the change in function, no doubt I will get used to it but so far yuck - sorry.

Regards Neil

+1

Preferred the old look AoS front end but also glad to see AoS up and running again.

Alex_UK
04-06-2013, 12:00
Unfortunately "progress" will always polarise opinion - but hopefully you'll get used to it and the improved functionality and stability will outweigh the cosmetic differences in time! :) (Just noticed an "Auto Save" function kick in for instance... Hopefully that means the end of lost posts - how many times have you typed a long reply and lost it? If "never" then you've been much more fortunate than I have!)

MartinT
04-06-2013, 12:12
Yep, the auto-save is excellent. I like the new look. When we revisit the old look in, say, a year's time, it'll look very archaic.

NRG
04-06-2013, 12:17
Its not hugely different though, people will soon get used to it. To get to New Posts no requires an extra mouse click on 'Forum' and if you are not logged in the only option if you want to reply to a thread is 'Reply with Quote' Could we have 'New Posts' on the main Activity Stream page and a 'Quick Reply' option if not logged in?

Beechwoods
04-06-2013, 12:27
I'll keep a note of comments and implement the best ideas. - if the new version supports them. It's worth though living with the changes for a few days and familiarising yourself with the way the new software works by default. Compared with the standard VB4 config though the way I've set the forum up does try to minimise the differences because we didn't want to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Clive
04-06-2013, 12:34
The menu bar with new posts etc seems a little small, could be my imagination but a larger font might work well.

pjdowns
04-06-2013, 12:40

Regards Neil

+1

Not a fan of the new look or the fact that I've had to change my bookmark links but hey at least we have it back up and running... thanks to the Owners / Admins for bringing back my favourite forum :)

Paul.

MartinT
04-06-2013, 12:41
To get to New Posts no requires an extra mouse click on 'Forum'

Why not use What's New?, it's a single click.

pjdowns
04-06-2013, 12:41
Yep, the auto-save is excellent. I like the new look. When we revisit the old look in, say, a year's time, it'll look very archaic.

Agreed - loving the autosave - I have lost so much when writing posts before LOL :(

Ali Tait
04-06-2013, 12:42
I'll keep a note of comments and implement the best ideas. - if the new version supports them. It's worth though living with the changes for a few days and familiarising yourself with the way the new software works by default. Compared with the standard VB4 config though the way I've set the forum up does try to minimise the differences because we didn't want to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Dunno it it's still a work in progress, but the forum does not display correctly on my Android phone, writing running into each other etc. Also, I cannot post a relpy, quick or otherwise, I can only use the reply with quote at the bottom of a post.

pjdowns
04-06-2013, 12:43
Why not use What's New, it's a single click.

Ooo liking that a lot - much easier to see who posted and when... great new addition :)

MartinT
04-06-2013, 13:12
Dunno it it's still a work in progress, but the forum does not display correctly on my Android phone

Hmm, I have a different issue. My phone displays threads perfectly, but when I want to post something the pop-up keyboard keeps wanting to disappear. I'm not sure if it's associated with the auto-save, making my phone think I'm in browsing rather than editing mode.

Barry
04-06-2013, 13:16
Not sure about the new look. It looks 'cleaner', but also looks just like most of the other fora out there.

Can someone make the text blacker - I'm sure there was better contrast between the text and the cream background before.

Anyway I won't quibble but live with it for a while; sure I'll get used to it.

Congratutations to Nick and the Admin for getting our beloved Forum up and running again. Thanks.

MartinT
04-06-2013, 13:18
It's a Windows 8 / Windows Phone 8 problem, they both do the 'keyboard disappearing' thing. I'll Google to see if it's a known problem with VB4.

Meanwhile the iPad (piece of crap) won't let me login. I stopped at three attempts as I don't want to lock myself out :steam:

MartinT
04-06-2013, 13:27
Aha - a workaround for the disappearing keyboard issue is to click the Remove Format button (2nd from left), which then allows you to type in the box. Bizarre!

Barry
04-06-2013, 13:36
How do I edit the "About Me" page in my profile? In particular I want to edit my equipment list.

MartinT
04-06-2013, 13:39
Settings | Edit Profile (or Edit Signature).

Marco
04-06-2013, 13:57
Not sure about the new look. It looks 'cleaner', but also looks just like most of the other fora out there.

Lol - dunno how you can say that when, for starters, the banner and colour scheme are totally different from that of any other forum!!

However, Barry, I know where you're coming from. It's simply a by-product from the generic look of the new vBulletin 4 software. We eradicated that effect as much as possible (save a few final touches still to be done to the colour scheme), but the essential template cannot be radically reworked in the way that you and I would both like.

Besides, it could be much worse. Have a look at Wigwam: http://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum.php :spew:

That 'New Forum Posts' thing, dominating the homepage, would do my head in!! So we removed that and incorporated the existing 'AoS look' into the vB4 template, as best as we could. You'll get used to it in time, and if you play around with some of the new features, I'm sure that you'll find them a real bonus.

Observe now, for example, how the 'What's New' function works, showing people's avatars and stuff, and if you click on the lower banner, observe how it shows the 'Activity Stream'. Those two new functions alone are fab, as is how quoted text now appears (see above)! :exactly:

Marco.

Beechwoods
04-06-2013, 14:09
How do I edit the "About Me" page in my profile? In particular I want to edit my equipment list.

Barry,

Click on the 'pencil' next to the field / item you want to amend and the field becomes editable.

keiths
04-06-2013, 14:38
Well done all - new look is a great improvement.

Could you add re-instating the bigger "go to first unread post" button to your list of tweaks, please?

Marco
04-06-2013, 15:22
Cheers, Keith. We'll get onto that as soon as we can :)

Marco.

pjdowns
04-06-2013, 15:57
+1

Not a fan of the new look or the fact that I've had to change my bookmark links but hey at least we have it back up and running... thanks to the Owners / Admins for bringing back my favourite forum :)

Paul.

Scrap that, I am beginning to warm to the new-look forum.

stupinder
04-06-2013, 16:00
Looks great guys, well done. Cleaner and easier to read as far as I can see. The activity stream is a nice touch I think.

Barry
04-06-2013, 17:02
Sorry Marco for coming across as a bit negative.

My comment was not connected with the banner or the colour scheme; I'll brace myself for changes of those later! :lol: I guess it was a knee-jerk reaction to the new look. I do think the text ought to be black (as it is for the quotes) and not grey as it appears to be, with a corresponding lack of contrast against the cream background.

Perhaps it would be best to say what I do like about the new look. The 'What's New' page is great, so too is the ability to click onto the Banner to get to the original front page.

And the autosave feature for replies is a boon.

I'm getting used to the sparse layout. Of course there will be a few teething problems to be sorted: not all the 'smilies' are of equal size; and the 'green dot' to signify the corresponding member is logged on could be larger.

But once again I must thank Nick for all his hard work, and not let my, or anyone else's niggles detract from the work done.

Marco
04-06-2013, 18:18
No worries, Barry. Colour scheme has now been amended and finalised. You may find that the look, colour-wise. is now more to your taste (now all burgundy, mustard and cream, with all grey/blue removed) :)

You may have to clear your browser cache, however, to see the difference.

Marco.

Tim
04-06-2013, 18:21
No worries, Barry. Colour scheme has now been amended and finalised. You may find that the look is now more to your taste (now all burgundy, mustard and cream, with all grey/blue removed) :)
I really like the muted tones Marco, gives it a subtle air of sophistication and is much easier on the eye. So many great new features too and I have yet to find anything I don't like about it :D

walpurgis
04-06-2013, 18:33
I know we're still getting used to the somewhat revised functionality, but what I have noticed, is that things I'm looking for don't 'catch my eye' as well as before. It's difficult to describe really, but the effect is there.

Marco
04-06-2013, 18:43
I've got a fishing hook here you can borrow, Geoff, if that will help? ;)

Marco.

walpurgis
04-06-2013, 18:59
Oh, cheers Marco. :)

I expect we all have some 'retuning' to do until it feels like an old pair of slippers.

Marco
04-06-2013, 19:01
Lol... Completely agree - although I'm loving it as it is now! :)

Marco.

Mr Kipling
04-06-2013, 19:10
Bad vibes, Man. Bad vibes. Everything seems 'busy'. The apparent simplicity that was there - isn't now.

Bad vibes. . . (Man).

Beechwoods
04-06-2013, 19:12
I think you'll find it's not that different fundamentally, live with it for a couple of days and you'll see what I mean.

walpurgis
04-06-2013, 20:04
I think you'll find it's not that different fundamentally, live with it for a couple of days and you'll see what I mean.

We have to put up with it for a couple of days you say? :lol:

Alex_UK
04-06-2013, 20:30
But just look how lovely a poll looks! This Week's Album Club (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?26067-Album-Club-Week-96-04-06-2013-Michael-McGoldrick-Fused-(2000))

archiesdad
04-06-2013, 21:00
Dunno I think it's ok, maybe because I haven't been here that long to worry regarding changes, I seen upgrades on other forums that have been a disaster, here, so far so good.

NRG
04-06-2013, 21:20
Why not use What's New?, it's a single click.

"Whats New?" is a confusing mess...

Marco
04-06-2013, 21:28
Lol.... It just shows you how tastes differ. I couldn't disagree more and consider it really funky and one of the best upgrades that vB4 has brought!

MartinT
04-06-2013, 21:59
But just look how lovely a poll looks!

I like it!

MartinT
04-06-2013, 22:01
I'm with you, Marco. What's New? is fab.

MartinT
04-06-2013, 22:02
WYSIWYG editing is rather nice, too.

Marco
04-06-2013, 22:20
I think some people just don't like anything 'fancy' ;)

Marco.

walpurgis
04-06-2013, 22:43
Plain beer, fancy women.

synsei
04-06-2013, 22:57
But look, I can write in Comic Sans!!! The move to vb4 is worth that alone... I can even make it baby pink :lol:

YNWaN
05-06-2013, 00:45
To be honest, I don't find it that different.

It doesn't work with Tapatalk now though :(.

Beechwoods
05-06-2013, 04:57
Yes it does. I'm using Tapatalk right now. It was installed on the upgraded system yesterday evening. I'm using Tapatalk classic for iOS on an iPhone.

MartinT
05-06-2013, 06:00
Test from Board Express Pro using Tapatalk.
Sent from my Samsung ATIV S using Board Express Pro.

Marco
05-06-2013, 06:13
To be honest, I don't find it that different.

Given the aesthetically intrusive nature of the stock vB4 template, you don't know how big a compliment that is!! ;)

Marco.

Beechwoods
05-06-2013, 06:19
Spot on Marco. My work here is done :D

YNWaN
05-06-2013, 07:15
Yes it does. I'm using Tapatalk right now. It was installed on the upgraded system yesterday evening. I'm using Tapatalk classic for iOS on an iPhone.

Oh does it? I just tried it on my iphone 5 and it comes up with the error message:

Server error occured: 'Class 'vB_Template_Runtime' not found (config.php:42)'

Beechwoods
05-06-2013, 07:18
Which version of Tapatalk are you running, classic or 'Tapatalk 2'? It's absolutely fine on my iPhone and I know others are browsing with Tapatalk ok because I have seen them on 'Who's Online'.

Have you tried logging out of Tapatalk, closing it down (double-click home, click the 'x') and restarting it? It may be that it's still expecting the old VB3 plugin version and not finding it.

YNWaN
05-06-2013, 07:30
Tapatalk 2 -all up to date

I've just deleted the forum and tried to reinstall it but no go - it won't let you Login -comes up with the above error message.

MartinT
05-06-2013, 07:33
Another Tapatalk test.
Sent from my Samsung ATIV S using Board Express Pro.

YNWaN
05-06-2013, 07:37
Have you tried logging out of Tapatalk, closing it down (double-click home, click the 'x') and restarting it? It may be that it's still expecting the old VB3 plugin version and not finding it.

Just tried all that with the same result I'm afraid?

It works for the other forums I have. However, with AoS, if you try to access any of the content it takes you to the Login screen and then gives that error message when you try to enter your password.

Beechwoods
05-06-2013, 07:39
I've posted up to invite feedback from other users to see if anyone else is having the same issue.

I'm sending this from Tapatalk and as I say I've not had any errors so I'm not sure it's an installation issue. I will check the Tapatalk site owners forum for similar issues this evening though.

YNWaN
05-06-2013, 07:48
Well, I've just had to reenter my password for the other five forums I have on Tapatalk and they worked fine. I'm afraid all indicators are that there is an install issue with Tapatalk 2.

I've also tried deleting the forum - rebooting everything - and then reinstalling it. However, it won't install and comes up with the error message I gave earlier; so, currently, AoS does not work with Tapatalk 2 on the iphone 5.

Beechwoods
05-06-2013, 07:50
Understood, loud and clear. My apologies for the inconvenience Mark.

YNWaN
05-06-2013, 07:59
I've looked up the error:

https://support.tapatalk.com/threads/class-vb_template_runtime-not-found-error.18120/

I've had to completely delete Tapatalk 2 and reinstall it again - seems to be working now.

No worries Nick - sorted now :).

Marco
05-06-2013, 08:04
Coolio... For a moment there, I was worried that we would be deprived of your daily 'pearls of wisdom'! :lol:

;)

Marco.

YNWaN
05-06-2013, 08:06
This has just been sent using Tapatalk 2 - seems to work fine now; but the only solution seems to be to completely delete the Application and reinstall it.

Beechwoods
05-06-2013, 08:14
I've looked up the error:

https://support.tapatalk.com/threads/class-vb_template_runtime-not-found-error.18120/

I've had to completely delete Tapatalk 2 and reinstall it again - seems to be working now.

No worries Nick - sorted now :).

What a pain, but glad it's sorted. Useful to know the 'fix' if anyone else reports the same problem. Thanks Mark.

YNWaN
05-06-2013, 08:26
It sounds like a Tapatalk 2 fault to me Nick, as opposed to a forum fault, so I guess they will get round to this bug fix soon.

Coolio... For a moment there, I was worried that we would be deprived of your daily 'pearls of wisdom'! :lol:

Like 'pearls before swine' I take it you mean Marco ;).

Benji
05-07-2013, 21:48
I have a question about tapatalk, hope you don't mind, perhaps I am just being really dim.....

I have installed the app and have logged in to Aos on the app but can't find a button anywhere that lets me post on the forum?

If I am just being stupid please don't shout too much :/

Beechwoods
05-07-2013, 22:26
New Thread: Navigate to the forum you want to post the new thread in and click the button on the top right hand corner of the screen, then select 'New Topic'.
Reply to a Thread: Just 'write something' in the box at the bottom of the screen when viewing the thread...

Hope this helps :)

Benji
05-07-2013, 22:35
Thanks beechwood, it is official, I am a stupid idiot, if only I had looked properly I would have the big white box :stupid:

Benji
06-07-2013, 14:13
Is aos on tapatalk push enabled? I have enabled push notifications but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Thanks, Ben.

Beechwoods
06-07-2013, 14:40
Is aos on tapatalk push enabled? I have enabled push notifications but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Thanks, Ben.

It is. Have you got Tapatalk set to autosubscribe you to posts? It should in any case push notify you that your post has just been quoted by me.

Benji
06-07-2013, 17:02
It comes up as a notification but doesn't show on the notification screen on the iPhone, the bit where the weather and stocks are.

Beechwoods
06-07-2013, 17:20
Have you checked your Notification settings in the iPhone Settings app? You probably don't have Tapatalk added to Notification Center.

Benji
06-07-2013, 18:32
I honestly don't know what I have done wron , but it is listed in the notification centre but still doesn't come up.....probably not the end of the world though!

Mr Kipling
06-07-2013, 19:52
.....probably not the end of the world though!

Could be an ominous sign though, Ben.

Notifications not showing on your mobile. . . Strange weather patterns emerging (sunshine in July). . . Strange objects in the sky. . . The feeling that your'e being watched. . . Your friends at work seem, somehow. . . 'different'. . . Your wife, looks, sounds like your wife - but you KNOW it's not her. . . Rumours abound of an alien invasion. . . Neighbours suddenly going missing and talk of us humans being. . . 'harvested'. . .

Think I'd be a tad less complacent if I was in your shoes, Ben. . .

Benji
06-07-2013, 20:21
You might have a point there mr Kipling, I must admit I have been wondering about the telecoms van parked opposite the house for the past few weeks, but then I thought it must just be a really difficult fault?

Ben.

Benji
07-07-2013, 07:12
Mysteriously, since mr kipling's revelations, push notifications have started working...... :spooky:

Thanks everyone.