PDA

View Full Version : Turning Japanese

Darrenw
20-04-2009, 06:55
Here is my system in its current state - cant decide on TT so trying a few at the moment and arms/carts are a complete mystery to me

Esoteric SA10 CD player

Air tight ATC 1 Pre amp

Air Tight ATM1 power amp

Thorens TD124 and SME plus shure cart (temporary trial)

Denon DP6000 alphason HR100 (not working yet

Sansui 717 tuner

Audio Note ANE SE Spe speakers

hitachi speaker cable
interconnects various including one AN one and one from maplins

15KVA Variac to provide 220 for the Japanese bits as our Voltage is 252V and causes tranny rattle in the pre - they are designed to work at 220V so also may be better to run them nearer the proper voltage

Need a rack and to settle on a deck (and flog the spares to fund a new rack and plinth plus cart & SUT)

Pictures are mostly stock but will endeavour to do some of my kit if daughter number one is willing to get her digi camera out.

taking a while to work out what I like but think I might have to change my on-line name to turning japanese!

things I fancy trying are Auditorium 23 SUT denon 103 and A23 speaker wire

Darren

Marco
20-04-2009, 09:07
What a superb system, Darren! I like everything in it :respect:

I'm sure that when you get the TD124 singing and dancing you won't need to think about another turntable, as it is quite excellent. But if you want to stick with classics and fancy and alternative take on reproducing vinyl, then I would heartily recommend a good direct-drive such as an SP10 or modified SL-1210.

Glad you're settling in now. We look forward to seeing the 'proper' pics in due course! :)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
20-04-2009, 09:30
Nice set up Darren.

I like Air Tight too, but have never heard enough of it, only at hi-fi shows which is not the best place to hear unfamiliar kit. However I still liked it.

Regards D S D L

Darrenw
20-04-2009, 10:47
Hi Marco

I have lined up an SP10 for head to head against the Denon - to be honest the DP6000 is probably the one I will choose as I love the UFO looks but I believe the 6000 will be as good or better than the SP10 from what I read sonically

should be an interesting bake off

rgds
darren

Darrenw
20-04-2009, 17:00
Hi Neil

to be honest I bought the air tight power amp on a hunch that it would sound good - it was a bargain from someone I knew to be reliable over on the wam so it wasn't too risky - well I loved it and then set about finding a pre to match which I was lucky to get from a wanted ad on hififorsale again for not much (relative to new price at least) money.

there isnt much air tight around in the uk - it certainly looks nice and doesnt sound too bad either

rgds
darren

The Grand Wazoo
20-04-2009, 17:11
Nice Tuner the Sansui 717.

I've got a 919, which I'm very proud of, but havn't seen for months as it's being repaired & is still near the bottom of the list of things the guy has to do!

I love the way that Air Tight clang their kit together - well built doesn't begin to describe it!

Nice system

Darrenw
20-04-2009, 17:27
indeed chris - spent a pleasant hour last night rejigging my rack to put the power amp on the lower shelf and the CD player higher up - the power amp is bloody heavy !

longer term plan includes getting one of these built (cloned) so its a good job the whole lot is on a concrete floor!

rgds
darren

The Grand Wazoo
20-04-2009, 21:10
Darren,
I'd be interested to hear about your CD player. Esoteric was a brand I had shortlisted when I bought my Accuphase, but never got to hear.

Did you compare it to other brands, or was it a hunch buy like your amps?

Darrenw
21-04-2009, 08:08
Chris

only got it last week so its a bit early to say - according to the manufacturer I shouldn't even listen to it til it has 250 hours on the clock better with 400 - hard to swallow that as I am a bit of a sceptic but happy to reserve judgement

it replaced a Naim CDX and CDPS and on the early showing its at least as good in most areas and better on detail - certainly better on looks and it fits on the rack better than the two box player (naim power supply was relegated to the floor as no room on the current rack

the finish is good but engineering in mechanism etc won't hold a candle to accuphase as this is the lowest in the range esoteric do (and you can tell in some areas)

overall I love the look and it sounds pretty decent which is all one can hope for from a cd player so a good result - worth checking out and I would like to hear one of the no compromise high end esoteric players

Again I bought on a hunch - loved the look and plenty of good reviews so seemed a safe buy - I even bought it new so it comes with warranty - although pleased to report I got it with a healthy discount so it didn't cost too much more than the Naim pairing it replaced

rgds
darren

DSJR
21-04-2009, 09:33
Great system there apart from those speakers......;) Cheapo drive units in a so-so box and they cost thousands........ Sell them, get some vintage Spendors or current Harbeths, then your system will SING!!!!!!! [ducks] :)

I wish I could afford a TD124. it and the Sony TTS3000 are the final vintage decks I've ever had a craving for and I turned down the option of three 124's over the decades.

Mike
21-04-2009, 15:42
Hi Marco

I have lined up an SP10 for head to head against the Denon - to be honest the DP6000 is probably the one I will choose as I love the UFO looks but I believe the 6000 will be as good or better than the SP10 from what I read sonically

No, no, no... completely wrong. The DP-6000 is rubbish!

You really should send it to me for safe 'disposal'! :eyebrows:

Darrenw
21-04-2009, 17:38
I have to admit the thorens does look nice with the other gear so I havent discounted getting rid of the 6000 rather than go to the bother of getting a 4 inch slate plinth knocked up scooby style

The thorens is certainly capable of decent sounds and looks nice - mine has a couple of scratches though - does anyone know of a reputable place that refinishes or touches them up?

cheeky bugger Dave - my speakers are the best bit of my system - only to be replaced if I win the lottery and get a pair of westminster royals or GRF autographs (and a bigger room)

rgds
darren

Marco
22-04-2009, 08:24
Great system there apart from those speakers...... Cheapo drive units in a so-so box and they cost thousands........ Sell them, get some vintage Spendors or current Harbeths, then your system will SING!!!!!!! [ducks]

LOL! Dave, have you heard them on the end of a top-notch T/T and high quality valve amps? I have, and they're stunning!

Darren, the DP6000 will be fantastic. It is probably better than almost anything else, so proceed and enjoy :)

Marco.

Darrenw
22-04-2009, 10:49
Marco

recommendations for arms to go with the Denon gratefully received - I am looking for something that isn't likely to be upgraded as I want to drill the plinth - the other option is obviously to go for a mount distance that has the most choice of high quality arms - would like something japanese to go with the deck but not precious - I think the alphason might look cool cos it has a little ufoness about it but other options/suggetsions always welcome

The AN speakers aren;t to everiines taste but I love them and certainly wont be shifting them on any time soon

rgds
darren

Marco
22-04-2009, 11:12
Hi Darren,

Have you seen this thread? http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2579

Check out the Ebay links! :)

Best,
Marco.

Darrenw
23-04-2009, 16:51
I Have but the denon is a bit of an unknown quantity - would like something that is a safe bet and then can cut the hole direct in the slate knowing I wont get a severe fit of upgraditis and thus render the plinth useless

is there such a thing as an arm that is a safe bet?

rgds
darren

scoobs
23-04-2009, 17:44
Yeah the Denon arm is an unknown quantity, there is next to nothing written (in English) about it...not even big DaveSJR can shed any light on it, but I am partial to the odd gamble to unearth a bit of magic, and I'm getting a bit of a fetish for vintage pro pieces. I'm backing this all Denon threesome to payoff but If it doesn't work out I'll be looking at the 12" Jelco. If I do then the slate plinth will require some work, I will cut out a square to half depth and create a lip which will support interchangeable wooden, or even slate arm boards for the future.

By the way Marco, thanks for adding those links mate. I contacted the seller of the 307 in the states to ask if he would mind sharing the mounting template with me, and he is putting a copy in the post, what a guy!

DSJR
23-04-2009, 18:46
LOL! Dave, have you heard them on the end of a top-notch T/T and high quality valve amps? I have, and they're stunning!

Darren, the DP6000 will be fantastic. It is probably better than almost anything else, so proceed and enjoy :)

Marco.

Now listen 'ere guv'nor, ANY pile of poo can be made to work on the end of shedloads of expensive kit - been there, done it loads of times and wore out several T shirts. It's what they sound like on the end of a basic system that's important and these ANE's just don't do it - Decent old Tannoys, your Spendors and any Harbeth will sound very good on a humble system and get better still as everything else does.....:ner: :gig:

Not all Denon TT's sound good and it's mainly to do with the plinth on some models being absolute junk. The early arms on some of them had rubber decoupling between pipe and bearing assembly - not a bad idea but too excessive, making the bass go all spongey...

Mike
23-04-2009, 19:01
Not all Denon TT's sound good and it's mainly to do with the plinth on some models being absolute junk.

Yeah!... the DP-6000 being a particularly bad example. Darren really should let me humanely dispose of it! :lol: ;)

DAVEDWACK
23-04-2009, 22:40
I have to admit the thorens does look nice with the other gear so I havent discounted getting rid of the 6000 rather than go to the bother of getting a 4 inch slate plinth knocked up scooby style

The thorens is certainly capable of decent sounds and looks nice - mine has a couple of scratches though - does anyone know of a reputable place that refinishes or touches them up?

cheeky bugger Dave - my speakers are the best bit of my system - only to be replaced if I win the lottery and get a pair of westminster royals or GRF autographs (and a bigger room)

rgds
darren

Hi Darren,

Summat like this is perhaps what you need.:)

(assuming the picture shows up of course) I'm bloody hopeless with computers!

Cheers.....Dave

Darrenw
24-04-2009, 07:25
while I like that recommendation as I have one of those already - HR100 isn't it?

what cart would you recommend Dave to compliment the alphason?

rgds
darren

DAVEDWACK
24-04-2009, 10:32
Hi Darren,

I've only had the Alphason about 3 months but it seems to be quite nice with the AT33PTG going through a Puresoud P10/T10.

Cheers....Dave

P.S. meant to say the arm's been j7'd in the past, so the VDH stuff has been removed.