PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 94: 21.05.2013: Yello - 'Flag'

Album Club
21-05-2013, 22:03
Album Club: 21.05.2013: Yello - 'Flag' (1988)

This week's selection for Album Club has been provided by Allen (Audio Al)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51yYyf1Rq1L.jpg

The album is not available on Spotify

Yello - 'Flag' (http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Flag/374818) on Grooveshark

Wikipedia entries:
Album: Yello - 'Flag' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_(Yello_album))
Artist: Yello (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yello)

I was first alerted to this album via our very own AOS forum and was recommended to get a copy to see how good your system is
So on that recommendation I did just that

8 tracks in total

A side
Track 1 Tied up
Track 2 Of course I'm lying
Track 3 3rd of June
Track 4 Blazing saddles

B side
Track 1 The race
Track 2 Alhambra
Track 3 Otto DI Catania
Track 4 Tied up in gear

I like this album because its different , different production and some forward thinking arrangements

Very musical with kicking bass

My favorite track is The Race ( awesome )
Maybe a Marmite LP for some
I present to you for your listening and comments / votes

Yello Flag

Tim
22-05-2013, 17:09
Well this will be easy for me as I already have it.

Cracking album, but I won't score it until I have given it another listen, but The Race alone secures a good score from me :eyebrows:

Bazil
22-05-2013, 18:09
I have heard of Yello but haven't a clue what they sound like or genre quite looking forward to this.

Tim
22-05-2013, 18:13
I have heard of Yello but haven't a clue what they sound like or genre quite looking forward to this.
Put The Race on Baz, crank it up and hang on to your trousers http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/woofer.gif (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/greatgig/media/woofer.gif.html)

(I wouldn't mind betting you have perhaps heard it before - used a lot by the media)

synsei
22-05-2013, 18:59
Well, that was fun. I haven't listened to this album for a very long time so it was good to re-equate myself with it once again. The stand out track has to be The Race, which has always been my very favourite track from Yello. I feel another 10 out of 10 coming on :D

DSJR
22-05-2013, 19:22
It's probably the last Yello album to bother with as although I gave it a '10,' I feel they were becoming a little derivative by this time.

Various mixes and releases of "The Race" seem to show different levels of bass, the best sounding clip I think being from the Alan Parsons (plus another engineer - sorry, forget his name) test disc, which may be a tad 'jiuced up' for all I know...

synsei
22-05-2013, 19:26
It's probably the last Yello album to bother with as although I gave it a '10,' I feel they were becoming a little derivative by this time.

Various mixes and releases of "The Race" seem to show different levels of bass, the best sounding clip I think being from the Alan Parsons (plus another engineer - sorry, forget his name) test disc, which may be a tad 'jiuced up' for all I know...

I had no complaints about the bass today Dave, but then again the missus was out so I didn't need to be quite so gentle with the volume control. I am sure the neighbours enjoyed it though... :D

losenotaminute
22-05-2013, 19:45
Not listened to any Yello before, although I have seen them referred to quite a few times. I gather they are used as 'reference' music to display the abilities of hifi systems.

Just listened to the Race from the interweb - not bad but the sound quality of the streaming file is not ideal so it might not be a fair fight. I wouldn't put them up there with Kraftwerk based on my first listen, but will try a few more tracks and see if it grows on me.

Lawrence

Alex_UK
22-05-2013, 20:28
I'm not even sure I still have this - I certainly have One Second, and definitely have The Race on 12" (superb!) and know I had this "back in the day" but I don't recall seeing it in the past few years... :scratch: Away at the moment, but will have a dig around and see if it is misfiled or summat - if not, acquire a new copy, but given that I love pretty much everything they've done it will be a high score I think. :)

johnB
22-05-2013, 21:51
Good album this...agree that the 12" of The Race really gives your speakers a challenging work-out...also try "The Eye" from 2003, which is a return to form IMO.
John

daytona600
22-05-2013, 22:04
Ah Yello , not there best album my Fav is Stella But still a bloody good album
Great system tester on vinyl , 12inch of the Race is off the charts
Must drag out my old vinyl tonight & also give the new MOV 180g a spin as well

MartinT
24-05-2013, 06:20
I love Yello and this remains my favourite album of theirs. I have the 12" single of The Race, which is indeed a great system workout. However, the album is much more than just The Race and for me the stand-outs are Tied Up and Of Course I'm Lying with their fantastic layering of vocals and effects. In fact, it's hard to know where to point your head during Tied Up, such is the wealth of detail coming from everywhere.

The vinyl sounds much better than the CD and is of demonstration class. I always get the idea that Yello are having a ball making their albums. They seem to be equal measures of fun and totally barking.

An easy 10/10.

Audio Al
01-06-2013, 09:31
I think its a very good album , I know its corny but " Outside the box "

Gets a 10 from me :D

dantheman91
01-06-2013, 09:37
Excellent album stunning production and flawless musicianship excellent.

Tim
01-06-2013, 10:12
Well if I could score The Race alone 10/10, but when I played the album I realised I only ever play The Race, so overall I gets a solid 8/10.

Great choice and good to see it introduced to people who don't know it :)

Alex_UK
01-06-2013, 10:34
I'll go 8/10 too. :)

DSJR
01-06-2013, 10:38
How many of you chaps know the early stuff? Even better to me ;)

keiths
06-06-2013, 14:23
Great record. I've owned it both on vinyl and CD from the day it was released (I have all Yello's albums). Maybe I've heard 'The Race' a few too many times and I prefer the "Touch Yello" album, so I've voted this one 8/10.