PDA

View Full Version : Power amps near Sheffield?

HighFidelityGuy
17-04-2009, 16:18
Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your power amps...

Hi,

As you may have read in my other thread about power amps, I have a bit of a dilemma over whether to tri-amp my speakers or just use one big power-amp to rule them all and in the darkness bind them. Sorry, I'll stop the quotes now.

Anyway, I live in Sheffield and I was wondering if there are any forum members nearby that wouldn't mind calling round with your power amp/s so I can try them out and decide which option is best. I could accommodate 2 or 3 people and their amps to swap between before I started to run out of space.

For try amping an Arcam amp would be best, so I'm particularly interested if anyone has a Diva or FMJ model. For the single amp option I'll try anything.

Let me know if your interested and we'll work something out.
I'll supply free Coffee/Tea/Beer and biscuits. :cool:

As a rough guide I'm hoping to organise this for in a week or two to give me chance to get some new cables.

Thanks,

David.

hifi_dave
17-04-2009, 18:19
IMO, you would do far better with one good amp than three OK amps. If you had three good amps, it might be a different story but, then again you could do better again with one excellent amp. And so on..........

HighFidelityGuy
17-04-2009, 20:23
Change of plan. My wife isn't too keen on the idea of having people she doesn't know visiting so, I'm going to have to re-think this. :(

John
18-04-2009, 03:21
Hi David
I think long term you be better off getting a good quality amp as you only get frustrated and those Opus deserve the best you can throw at them I know it seems like more money first but believe me getting this right will save you getting frustrted in the long run.
Basically you need a amp that has plenty of control in the bass and has a resonable degree of speed to get the best out of your speakers; perhaps another way to think about this is to sell the AV amp I do not know AV amps very well but maybe someone knows an amp that fits the requirements of good controlled bass with plenty of grip and has plenty of speed or for the time being just concentrate on the Hifi side and get a decent power amp and when funds become availble then worry about intergrating the AV side

StanleyB
18-04-2009, 06:41
Change of plan. My wife isn't too keen on the idea of having people she doesn't know visiting so, I'm going to have to re-think this. :(
You are always welcome as a visitor if you ever travel down to London.

Stan