PDA

View Full Version : The Art Of Sound Glossary of Hi-Fi Parlance

Beechwoods
16-04-2009, 20:26
Ok folks. I need some help! I want well used phrases and definitions for the AOS Library Glossary of Hi-Fi Parlance. Phrases that we use all the time when trying to describe what we're hearing, or phrases we use about the hobby in general... not necessarily technical terms (we'll do that some other time) :)

Here are a few to start us off...

PRaT
Pace, Rhythm and Timing
http://www.tnt-audio.com/edcorner/prat_e.html

Night and Day
a difference too significant to be dismissed as possible expectation bias.

No-Brainer
as above but with no obvious compromises or trade-offs.

Toppy, Bright
sound that emphasises the higher frequencies

Warm
sound that emphasises the mid-low frequencies at the expense of the higher ones.

Woofer
the big speaker driver that produces the lower frequency 'bass' sounds

Tweeter
the little speaker driver that produces the high frequency sounds

Woolly
sound that is muffled, as if the speaker had a sheep standing in front of it.

Veiled
sound which appears subtly masked, as if the sound is being held back by something

Blackness
the absence of background noise between tracks or notes - either electrical, surface or other extraneous noise

OMG
Oh My Gosh! Expression of surprise when one is thrilled by a new acquisition

Metallic
A characteristic of high frequencies that have a ring similar to that of a metal sheet being played with a bow

Tube Roller
Someone who enjoys trying out, and comparing different valves in their gear

Tube Rolling
The primary hobby of a keen Tube Roller

Sand
Solid State gear. Gear comprising transistors or integrated components rather than Valves.

Dynamics
the loud and quiet of sound. The greater the range between loud and quite on a recording or reproduction, the more dynamic.

Audiophile
someone for whom the pursuit of audio nirvana is a quest only second to their desire to convert others to a similar obsession

Here are some that spring to mind but I can't find the words for, so help me out...

Pipe and Slippers
Edgy
Smooth
Flat
Forward
Flat Earther

Please, help me out - they'll be transferred to the Library area when that goes live!

Thank you!

Beechwoods
18-04-2009, 09:40
I can't believe that no-one has any extra ideas for this! C'mon it'll be a good bit of fun, not to mention educational! I know that a load of our contributors have both an encyclopaedic hi-fi / audio knowledge and a way with words!

Marco
18-04-2009, 10:28
Nice idea, Beechy. I'll compile a few examples later from the Marco-boy book of hi-fiisms ;)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
18-04-2009, 17:36
Hi Nick

Sorry I missed this sticky

Aggressive-very forward and bright tonal balance.

Ambience-term used to describe the acoustic in which music was recorded... could be a concert hall or studio.

Analytical- ultra detailed.

Articulate-used to describe a system or components ability to reveal and articulate vocals, instruments and the inter play between them.

Attack-the leading edge of a note, and the ability of a system or component to reveal the initial hit/attack of that note cleanly and clearly.

Balance-used in regard to whether a system or component emphasises one part of the frequency spectrum over another, or favours them all equally.

Body-fullness of sound (related to Weight)usually used to point out the upper bass frequencies.

Boxy colourations-The sound of a thin walled speaker full of badly controlled cabinet resonances.

Bright-sound that is too prominent in upper mid-range and treble.

Dark-opposite of bright(warm)...lacking in treble extension.

Decay- fading of a note in the ambient.Follows on from Attack.

Definition/resolution-relating to high-fidelity sound. The ability to reveal the fine/subtle points in music.

Depth-a sense of front to back dimension in the recording...being able to hear the rear hall echo in a live concert etc and this revealing the size of the venue. Can be created in a studio. Tends to be more obvious in live recordings.

Detail-the fine subtle sounds that music has,hidden by poor reproduction.

Dry-lack of reverberation, devoid of tonal richness.

Dynamic-able to go from silent to loud, lots of energy in the music, peeks and troughs. opposite of flat.

Euphonic/coloured- comes from certain types of distortion-opposite of dry. Valve amplifiers are said to be euphonic.

Fast-excellent ability to reproduce transient information.

Focus-sharp presentation of images,thus leading to a more real sound.

Forward/ness-the sound being well in front of the speakers, with a lack of image depth sometimes. In your lap !

Grainy-lacking finesse.

Grip-control in the lower frequencies-bass.

Hard/harsh-related to bright. Uncomfortable, aggressive etc not natural.

Imaging-ability to project a clear and fully separated sound picture of the musicians in real space and 3 dimensional solidity.

Low level detail-the very smallest sounds in a recording. The sound of fingers plucking strings the breath of a singer etc.

Musical-the reproduced sound sounds right...natural not synthetic.

Open-clean upper midrange and treble, sound reproduced with height and air opposite of closed in.

Pace-a strong sense of rhythm and speed. Good timing...PRAT

Presence-related to imaging in that there is a very definite 3 dimensional musical experience in the room.

Sibilance-the upper treble sounds in the letter SSSSSSSSSSSS.

Snap-punchy relating to good pace,rhythm and timing...a system component with excellent transients has this character.

Speed-related to above and pace and timing.

Thick-lack of detail and openness in the lower mid-range and bass frequencies. Lack of articulation as a result of over blown bass.

Thin-lack of bass and lower mid-range.

Timbre-tonal signature of an instrument.

Transient-initial/first/leading edge of a percussive instrument such as drum,cymbal, piano etc. Reproducing this right will make the sound feel more live and thus real.

Transparency-another word for clarity. A system or component that does not hide/mask the details that make up the music. See through quality...

Tweak/tweaker-the addition of extra (not manufacturer supplied)items to improve the sound of a component. Such as isolation, mains, interconnects etc.

Veiled-hidden, lack of transparency and clarity.

Warm-fullness in the lower mid-range and upper bass. However this could also be used to describe a natural well rounded sound.

Weigh/and scale-the sound has a solid reality to it gained from the presence of deep controlled bass.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___
Pipe and Slippers- Safe boring sound reproduced by the likes of Quad/Arcam.

Edgy-Bright and forward, also brittle.

Smooth-lacking a hard bright metallic edge to the music. Also could describe a rolled off treble or a treble which is pure and lacking in grit, not over emphasised....Natural.

Flat- lacking dynamic expression. Can also be used to describe a lack of depth or dimension in the sound as well.

Forward-see above

Flat Earther-insult leveled at those who use Linn, Naim and similar items from the late 70's to 80's. A restricted state of mind. Also those who do not believe in after market tweaks such as mains cables, interconnects and the effects of the mains. Some would say they have a closed mind, such as those who would not believe the Earth was round and held to a view it was flat.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___
Note of thanks.

Thanks to hi-fi choice for the headings which I have added too, changed or tweaked their explanations.

Regards D S D L

Beechwoods
18-04-2009, 17:44
Cor! Fantastic! Thank you Neil!

Spectral Morn
18-04-2009, 17:56
No problem...I cheated a bit by using Hi-Fi Choice's glossary as a guide.

Regards D S D L

Beechwoods
18-04-2009, 18:04
It'll be interesting to see if we all agree on the definitions! That article about PRaT has umpteen different explanations for the various elements of the phrase :)

Spectral Morn
18-04-2009, 18:06
There is a list of technical terms too....would you like that as well ?

Regards D S D L

John
18-04-2009, 18:14
Here are some that spring to mind but I can't find the words for, so help me out...

Pipe and Slippers Relaxed easy to listen too lacking in dynamics
Edgy Can be tiring to much top end infomation lacks finesse
Smooth Easy listening lacks energy
Flat No Dynamics

Please, help me out - they'll be transferred to the Library area when that goes live!

Thank you!

Top End: Music that come in the higher frequency range Treble
Bottom End: Music in the bass region
Mid This is where most of the music is heard
Frequency: A range used to measure sound
Soundstage: The ablity to capture music in the room ?

Here is a good interactive explination of frequency
http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

Marco
19-04-2009, 11:29
Beechy, you may want to have a look here:

http://stereophile.com/reference/50/index1.html

:)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
19-04-2009, 15:28
Excellent link......Marco

Have a look Nick., lots there not covered so far and some better explanations of some things that have.

Regards D S D L :)

Beechwoods
19-04-2009, 15:52
Cool. I will review and do a Beechified version featuring the best of all of 'em :)

Mr. C
24-04-2009, 06:20
A couple more for the pile.

Absolute indifference - The In-ability for the system to cause any emotion in the listener, yet retain no discernible bad traits to the sound.

Uber Cock - The ability of the system to exhibit exquisite hifi presentation aspects at the total and utter expense of enjoyment and musical involvement.

Serial Bell-end - A confirmed and deep seated believer in the above sentence who ego's matches the circumference of Jupiter and conversely manages exceeds Tony Blair's own standards of self pre-occupation.

Spot on - The ability of the system to demonstrate a sense of 'rightness' for the individual listening to be totally and utterly absorbed into the music.

Cultivationalist - Some with a devout sense of purpose relating to spreading the word/gospel of a particular set/cult/clan of equipment or style of sound that their consider to be far superior to all other earthly/outer worldly or parallel 'pane'.
They do so at the expense of their own true character and proceed with a underlying zeal and determination that Paul pot would have been proud to have as his under study.

A Whatti - A normally rational human taken under the quasi influential 'spell' of particular Hifi magazines, which exude a 'special 5 star rating systems' that captivates and controls its 'victims' leaving them in fixated and transcendental state of mind.
Only know symptom is having the 'said' publication 'wedged' under their arms when visiting well know high street emporiums on a frequent basis and refusing steadfastly to listen to any quality 'gear' just the 5 Star recommended stuff.

REM
24-04-2009, 07:59
Beechy, you may want to have a look here:

http://stereophile.com/reference/50/index1.html

:)

Marco.

I remember a review of an amp in Stereophile, many years ago, which spent umpteen pages banging on about its ability in resolving the "inner harmonic structure of transient decay of notes". At the end of the article I was none the wiser and remain so to this day (there is nothing in the glossary re: inner harmonics) and wondered if anyone here could enlighten me:confused:.

Suffice it to say I haven't read Stereopiles since.

Cheers Ralph.

Jason P
28-04-2009, 09:06
A couple more for the pile....<snip>

Excellent, made me laugh!! However, in the spirit of a Cultivationalist's pedantry

They do so at the expense of their own true character and proceed with a underlying zeal and determination that Paul pot would have been proud to have as his under study.

I think you may be referring to Pol Pot. Paul Pot was his distant cousin, finding himself somewhat bemused to be living in Pinner rather than Cambodia. Unable to introduce the concept of 'Year Zero' to the good bhurgers of the aforsaid, he instead opted for the only (at the time) acceptable and acheivable dictatorship available to him and became a Linn dealer :sofa:

I'll get me coat...

Mike Reed
28-04-2009, 10:35
i remember a review of an amp in stereophile, many years ago, which spent umpteen pages banging on about its ability in resolving the "inner harmonic structure of transient decay of notes". At the end of the article i was none the wiser and remain so to this day (there is nothing in the glossary re: Inner harmonics) and wondered if anyone here could enlighten me:confused:.

Cheers ralph.

inner harmonics = tinnitus

Mr. C
28-04-2009, 23:19
I think you may be referring to Pol Pot. Paul Pot was his distant cousin, finding himself somewhat bemused to be living in Pinner rather than Cambodia. Unable to introduce the concept of 'Year Zero' to the good bhurgers of the aforsaid, he instead opted for the only (at the time) acceptable and acheivable dictatorship available to him and became a Linn dealer :sofa:

I'll get me coat...

Jason,

I was referring to the very same Paul pot, in fact that 'Paul pot' invented the 'Tune dem' (which Linn usurped) with all it's satanic overtones (Lucifer chair rocking and demonic foot tapping incitations ) and subversive subliminal flat earthiest tendencies that has been responsible for many a fallen mortal being prevented/encased/deviated from the pleasures of real musical enjoyment.

One more before the close of play this evening.

Flippsters (Part I)- The ex Flat earth aficionado. a former lover of all things PRaTy. A bleeding edge detail freak, that just adores the slam you in the face with cone wrenching thwack (from near field distances). That lacks any realism other than 'feeling the force' of 60's technology amplifiers at their limit straining to cope with speakers designed by a deaf one eared Madagascan tree sloath on speed.
Now discussing the hoppiness of hook Norton's finest beverage whilst 'grooving with the cats' along to 'Wow what stage depth' to 'My god the upper frequency detail, spatiality and signal purity is among the most sublime to pass my ears'
The Hifi world's equivalent of a reformed smoker/born again Christian/New labour supporter

Puffin
02-05-2009, 06:53
Ground-Zero. a)Volume control turned fully anti-clockwise
b) Faulty internal wiring
c) Chronic case of Audophilia Nervosa where patient has lost all sense of connection with reality

muffinman
07-05-2009, 06:21
unforgiving:

A. Used by reviewers to describe an expensive product from a powerful manufacturer that actually doesn't sound that great in the test rig (see also, careful partnering required)
B. Used by sales staff to explain why a new item makes your previously perfectly decent system sound dreadful

NB: only expensive items are worthy of the term. Inexpensive items are merely shite

Primalsea
01-06-2009, 18:54
Pipe and Slippers

Equipment and music best suited to old farts who spend most of their time stroking whippets and watching re-runs of Gardeners World in their potting shed.

MartinT
03-06-2009, 04:34
straining to cope with speakers designed by a deaf one eared Madagascan tree sloath on speed

You've just described:

Kans - generic term for drivers mounted in a biscuit tin (at least, that's how they sound), parading as genuine speakers

Joe
11-07-2009, 08:52
'Redefines the state of the art' = 'Slightly better than the one I reviewed last month'

''In hi-end terms, something of a bargain' = 'In the real world, insanely expensive'.

link
01-08-2009, 15:59
how do you define a clinical sound?

thanks.

Steve Toy
01-08-2009, 17:11
Lacking in harmonic richness. Perhaps a little lean and dry in the bass.