PDA

View Full Version : I like this...views about an 'audiophile'

SteveW
16-04-2009, 20:11
Made me smile

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/04/why_we_need_audiophiles-2.html

aquapiranha
16-04-2009, 20:22
Very good. Nice 1200 there at the end of the MTV clip too!

Spectral Morn
16-04-2009, 20:35
Nice link SteveW

Michael Fremer's section in Stereophile is the first thing I read after thumbing through the issue to see whats in it. Hes not always right, but mostly is IMHO. The MTV link was also very interesting. I think much the same can still be said today, even though digital has improved a lot since 1993. Analogue still has it in all the areas that equate to the soul of the music. Its this soul that makes or breaks it. If its not there, or half there because a computer designed program...like ATRAC thinks its not needed...well you can hear whats missing 3d becomes 2d IMHO.

Digital is for the lazy...and I have been that person....but I am getting better.

Regards D S D L

SteveW
16-04-2009, 21:19
cheers Neil.
Interesting that Neil Young was interviewed back then in that MTV clip. I remember him saying...oh probably in the mid 90's...that he thought that the digital age at that point would be looked back on as a Dark Age for music.
The man's a prophet...but few listened to him then.

Mind you...didn't stop him taking the money from CD sales.

Beechwoods
16-04-2009, 21:25
Wasn't there one album he refused to release on CD... can't remember which one, but he let it out on DVD-A in the end, if I remember rightly...

His best stuff was on the Woodstock album, by the way!

Spectral Morn
16-04-2009, 22:43
cheers Neil.
Interesting that Neil Young was interviewed back then in that MTV clip. I remember him saying...oh probably in the mid 90's...that he thought that the digital age at that point would be looked back on as a Dark Age for music.
The man's a prophet...but few listened to him then.

Mind you...didn't stop him taking the money from CD sales.

Yes but they are recorded with HDCD which raises sound quality quite a bit. Not quite to SACD level but its an improvement on normal red book cd's. You need a HDCD cd player or DAC with this sound processing option to hear this better sound. Ahhh....what a pity HDCD did not take off.:(

I looked for it on Neil's new album and I could not see it....SOUND QUALITY MATTERS is also usually written on the sleeve too.

Regards D S D L

SteveW
17-04-2009, 05:12
Chris Rea seems to be going down the same route. During the publicity interviews for his last 'music book' he talked about releasing the next album on vinyl only.
I'd love to see that.

Never thought I'd see it, but is it possible that vinyl will out-live CD ?