PDA

View Full Version : Radford news anyone?

The Grand Wazoo
16-04-2009, 19:09
Does anyone know anything about the (apparently) impending re-emergence of the Radford brand?

I understand there was an amp to be seen at the recent show.
I sincerely hope that when & if this new amp does emerge, it's worthy of the name - there's nothing worse than a new owner trading purely on the success of an acquired brand-name.

Here's hoping............

Ali Tait
16-04-2009, 23:03
Peter Comeau of World-Designs is bringing the brand back to life.I haven't heard any of the kit myself,but it would need to be good given the new retail prices-around 11k I believe an amp! There are a couple of speakers also.

pure sound
17-04-2009, 08:31
from the show

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i318/murrayjohnson/newradford.jpg

aquapiranha
17-04-2009, 10:23
11K?? It must be good then? I hope they are not just trading off the name. I suppose at that price I will never know!

Ali Tait
17-04-2009, 11:11
My thoughts exactly!

NRG
17-04-2009, 14:07
Yikes!

shane
17-04-2009, 14:15
Going by what he's done with WD I'd say that Peter's not given to blatant profiteering, so I imagine most of the money goes into the transformers. Since that's the area where Arthur Radford made his amps special, then there's a good chance that the MkVI will live up to expectation.

DSJR
17-04-2009, 15:10
£11K?

No sales in the UK planned then.............................................. ....

Ali Tait
17-04-2009, 16:51
Can't quite remember where I got that price from,so it may not be correct,but I do know none of the new stuff is cheap.Just been into Edinburgh and found a great little hi-fi shop.Had a lot of classic valve stuff-Quad,Leak etc.Couple of lovely Transcriptors TT's,and also a mint-looking Radford that I was dribbling over.He wanted 1100 quid unfortunately.. :(

hifi_dave
17-04-2009, 18:15
I did e-mail them for info but all I got was a load of suspicious e-mails in return and an invite to e-mail all my details to yet another address. I gave up because I wasn't sure who it was or where it was going to. Strange.:scratch:

If that price of £11K is correct, the products are intended for the Far East because gear of that price doesn't sell (hardly at all) here.:ner:

Spectral Morn
17-04-2009, 18:20
Can't quite remember where I got that price from,so it may not be correct,but I do know none of the new stuff is cheap.Just been into Edinburgh and found a great little hi-fi shop.Had a lot of classic valve stuff-Quad,Leak etc.Couple of lovely Transcriptors TT's,and also a mint-looking Radford that I was dribbling over.He wanted 1100 quid unfortunately.. :(

Hi ali

That would have been Retro Reproductions then, on Leith walk. I know Graham quite well nice guy and you can negotiate a wee bit with him or offer him something as a part trade. If its interesting he will work with you. I got most of my Leak Troughlines from him and my EAR FM decoder.

Regards D S D L

Ali Tait
17-04-2009, 18:28
Hi Neil,
Yes the very place! Some nice kit.

Spectral Morn
17-04-2009, 18:31
Indeed, he has. I usually call in with him when in Scotland I will see him in September this year all things being well.

Do you live in Scotland or on Holiday ?

Regards D S D L

Ali Tait
17-04-2009, 18:51
I have a house with my partner and her children in Dunfermline nowadays,though I did live in Leeds for 20 years,and still have my flat there to allow me to see my daughter regularly,who lives there with her mum.I also keep my main system there.7kV Electrostats and kilovolt valve amps and a 6-year old don't mix! Hence me having several amps,including the MF A370 which is kid-proof,though I do indulge myself occasionally with a KEL84 that is only on when I'm present! It does leave the Mr Liang 845 SET and original WAD 300b PP amps lying doing nothing most of the time though.Then there's the wooden-sleeve Sugden A21...:)

Spectral Morn
17-04-2009, 18:55
I have a house with my partner and her children in Dunfermline nowadays,though I did live in Leeds for 20 years,and still have my flat there to allow me to see my daughter regularly,who lives there with her mum.I also keep my main system there.7kV Electrostats and kilovolt valve amps and a 6-year old don't mix! Hence me having several amps,including the MF A370 which is kid-proof,though I do indulge myself occasionally with a KEL84 that is only on when I'm present! It does leave the Mr Liang 845 SET and original WAD 300b PP amps lying doing nothing most of the time though.Then there's the wooden-sleeve Sugden A21...:)

The coast leading up to Edinburgh is nice...we usually stay in and around Sterling when on holiday. Driven past Dunfermline but not stopped to look around. Nice kit you have...niceeeeeeeeeeeee !

Have you ever posted any pictures of your systems ?

Regards D S D L

Ali Tait
17-04-2009, 18:59
I was born in Stirling! No,not posted pics.Always meant to get round to it.I need to take some decent photos first.Forgot to mention the Audioromy 813 that gets used the most to power the stats.Think I need to thin things down on the amp front...

Spectral Morn
17-04-2009, 19:04
I was born in Stirling! No,not posted pics.Always meant to get round to it.I need to take some decent photos first.

Love Sterling (nice record shop there )we would stay in Gargunnock ( near Sterling ) or the Lake of Menteith and just in and around the Gargunnock hills. Beautiful.....I love Scotland.

Get snapping we want to see photossssssssss.

Regards D S D L

PS I have to go now....weekly shop at Tesco. Nice chatting.

Ali Tait
17-04-2009, 19:13
Ditto! :) I'll get some photos up when I get a chance.