PDA

View Full Version : Album Club: Week 92: 07.05.2013: Antonio Forcione - Tears of Joy (2005)

Album Club
07-05-2013, 19:33
This week's choice comes from Lawrence - losenotaminute (http://theartofsound.net/forum/member.php?u=8277)

My choice is Tears of Joy by Antonio Forcione (2005)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8113/8656255140_188146cf2d_n.jpg
spotify:album:4EW2mvDpmoRxBswaZQfRvY
Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Forcione
YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/user/AntonioForcione1

Track listing:
1. Tears of Joy
2. Sahara Rain
3. The Long Winter
4. Spanish Breeze
5. All Summer Long
6. The Cool Cat
7. Fragile
8. Landmark
9. Walz for Django
10. Earth Spirit

From Wikipedia:
"Antonio Forcione is hailed as the Jimi Hendrix of the acoustic guitar. He has won numerous awards, released 17 albums of largely original material and tours internationally in festivals and for charity performances and masterclass workshops.

He was born in a village on the Adriatic shore of Molise in southern Italy. He first drew public attention at 13 when he toured Italy with his own band as a guitarist, mandolinist and drummer. A few years later he obtained a diploma in art and sculpture from the Art Institute in Ancona where he also studied percussion. For a further two years he studied harmony and mime in Rome, before moving to London in 1983.

Unable to speak English, he initially resorted to busking in the streets of London’s Covent Garden. Within 2 months he had won an award which led to a BBC television appearance before being whisked off to open for Barclay James Harvest on a major European tour, culminating in a concert at Wembley Arena. Since then he has worked in collaboration with many artists, touring the world in duo, trio and quartet formats such as The Antonio Forcione Quartet and in his duo with Brazilian percussionist Adriano Adewale. His latest group is AKA, a trio with Seiku Keita and Adriano Adewale. A prolific composer, most of the pieces performed are his own. He has also performed, double-billed/supported and recorded with artists such as Bobby McFerrin, Phil Collins, Jools Holland, Zucchero, Pino Daniele, Charlie Haden, John McLaughlin, Trilok Gurtu, Steps Ahead, Leo Kotke, Bireli Lagrene, Eduardo Niebla amongst others."

Enjoy

Lawrence

Tim
07-05-2013, 19:35
Oooo, what's this - never heard of him, so I'm excited already :D

Alex_UK
07-05-2013, 19:46
Coincidentally, when I was making my choice for my next Album Club week I thought that I couldn't recall ever having an acoustic guitar album, and so nearly chose Martin Taylor's Spirit of Django (but didn't!) and glad I didn't now! Very much looking forward to trying this, I have listened to some of his stuff before on Spotify I think - and I've just bought a couple of classical guitar albums from one of Jerry's charity sales which I enjoyed very much, so quite excited. :) Cheers Lawrence - who I might add, already has his write up into Album Club for his next choice in August! (Hint, hint, everyone... ;))

The Grand Wazoo
07-05-2013, 19:51
who I might add, already has his write up into Album Club for his next choice in August! (Hint, hint, everyone... )

Now how the hell do you know that Alex?
Good choice Lawrence!

Alex_UK
07-05-2013, 20:05
Now how the hell do you know that Alex?

A bloke said, down the pub. ;)

Ooh, this is a goody! "All Summer Long" is going on the summery choons playlist! :)

John
07-05-2013, 20:06
I seen him play live a few times a great guitar player I am looking forward to this
I saw Martin Taylor when he was doing his Django tour a good few years back. Now their a talent!

losenotaminute
07-05-2013, 20:08
After I submitted this week's choice I saw that he is performing in Edinburgh at the Queen's Hall on the 18th of May. He's also at the Edinburgh Fringe again (for about the 20th time) but only for a week this year.

He is incredible live, below is a clip of his 'party piece' Touch Wood, which shows his amazing technical ability.

Tears of Joy is available on vinyl as well as CD (and high resolution download I think) on the Naim label. The production quality is incredible IMO and this album is a good "reference test" of your hifi. If the percussion and guitars sound real then you know you have it right!

The percussionist in the Antonio Forcione quartet, Adriano Adewale, has performed solo at the Fringe in the past and is a stand-out musician on his own. As is Seckou Keita (http://www.seckoukeita.com/), who I saw perform with Antonio and Adriano a couple of years ago (video below). I gather he is quite famous in Senegal and has a number 1 album in the world music chart. They were so good I went back the next night...

Can't get the embedding to work this evening so here are the URLs:

JcmHVxDPAMU

AOQ1wonYAlk

Alex_UK
08-05-2013, 10:01
I've now played this through 4 times on 3 different systems, and it is lovely! I will definitely seek out a copy, and explore more of his work - big thanks for bringing something different to Album Club - which is in part what it is all about. :) 9/10 from me.

John
08-05-2013, 11:59
I really recommend Acoustic Mania with Neil Stacy playing with Antonio.

keiths
08-05-2013, 13:23
I saw him play live at a hi-fi show once years ago. An excellent guitarist. I have this, so will listen and vote soon (once I've caught up with last week's choice).

I think "Acoustic Revenge" is my favourite Antonio Forcione album - even though it was (allegedly) recorded on cassette.

Tim
08-05-2013, 16:28
I'm quite enjoying this, but not something I would buy TBH. I would view it more as background music for a dinner party. However, I would like to see him live as I think that would be where he would shine for me. Thanks for the choice as it's a new artist on my must see list ;)

Going to give it another listen before I score it, as I'm sitting between a 7 and an 8 right now.

John
08-05-2013, 17:23
Try Acoustic Mania Talking Hands Tim I reckon you might like this a lot better
4ZEjgU9PeHw

Tim
08-05-2013, 18:05
I'll check that out John, cheers ;)

Audio Al
10-05-2013, 13:31
Very nice laid back easy listening music by a talented Ge tarist

Something different for me :)

I enjoyed the album and gave it 8 out of 10 ;)

John
10-05-2013, 16:06
Much as I respect Antonia as a guitarist its just a bit laid back for me so can only give it a 6

synsei
10-05-2013, 17:13
I missed this one somehow, I will give it a spin once I have finished listening to Seal II ;)

Bazil
17-05-2013, 18:06
I like this good background music, I'd have given it 8 but the girl singing on All Summer Long has lost it a point 7/10

losenotaminute
17-05-2013, 18:16
background music

:(

Bazil
19-05-2013, 17:46
Cheer up Lawrence I did say good background music :D

MartinT
24-05-2013, 05:49
It's all very pleasant and may be much better to see live. Not the kind of music I will buy, admittedly. 6/10.

keiths
28-05-2013, 15:25
Really like this - but I've been a fan of Antonio's playing since hearing 'Acoustic Revenge' at a hif-fi show years ago. 8/10.

Barry
08-06-2013, 16:14
9/10 from me. I don't regard it as background music at all - but them no music should be treated as background music.

electric beach
09-06-2013, 08:57
Really like this - but I've been a fan of Antonio's playing since hearing 'Acoustic Revenge' at a hif-fi show years ago. 8/10.

At last, someone else who was there! Playing live through a HiFi rig that session remains the most impressive live sound I've ever heard. How do you begin to explain what it was like :eek:

pjdowns
24-08-2013, 16:43
Had this album a few years after buying at the Bristol Hifi show on the Naim stand. I have also have another of his albums Touch Wood which is very similar in style and also great test album for your Hifi :)

synsei
24-08-2013, 19:20
I forgot to return to score this, me bad :eyebrows:

A fabulous album which is right up my street. Gorgeous guitar playing by Antonio married to a truly first class production helps me to award this a solid 8/10 ;)

losenotaminute
25-08-2013, 13:55
I saw him perform this week at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, excellent performance with a great sound system in the Assembly Theatre. He was on top form, as usual, one of the highlights of the Festival for me.

In contrast, Bruchner's Symphony 9 with a completed 4th movement was a form of torture by (shit) music. I was alomost physically sick at the end it was so tedious and utterly devoid of musical feeling.

Lawrence