PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 88: 09.04.13: The Orb - The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld

Album Club
09-04-2013, 19:11
Thanks to Dave (synsei) for this week's choice:

The Orb - The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld (Deluxe Edition 2006 - originally released 1991)
http://www.sainsburysentertainment.co.uk/media/ProductImage/largeImage/ProductImage-1348081.jpg
spotify:album:586QJGEM42QNTAncO0WtaL

The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld is the seminal 1991 ambient house-concept debut album by the electronic music collective The Orb. The album's framework is of a two-hour psychedelic trip through music genres and studio electronics, produced to "push the threshold" of live stage performance. The double album is a continuous progressive composition consisting of several tracks advancing the journey concept and composed of vocal samples and sound effects interspersed with original music.

Above all else I find this to be an excellent driving album for long, tedious journeys but it also stands up to a serious listen at home.

Enjoy :)

Bazil
09-04-2013, 19:29
Not my generations music at all! But I dipped my toe into this sort of stuff a couple of years ago and guess what ? I actually have this :carrot:

daytona600
09-04-2013, 19:43
one of my favs , can find the cd but can,t place the black stuff

Baz try metallic spheres , the orb & dave gilmour Lp or the 360 semi-biaural CD is great on a good set of headphones

Alex_UK
09-04-2013, 19:44
I love this album, but strangely not played it in ages so a great opportunity to reacquaint myself with it - cheers Dave! :)

DSJR
09-04-2013, 21:12
Was played it by a pal because of the Steve Hillage tracks, bought the album back in '91 and have loved it ever since, including the remix album and BBC Sessions.

10/10 from me :)

RichB
10-04-2013, 21:03
an instant 10 out of 10 for me... the greatest 'come down' album of them all perhaps. So many memories, psychedelic adventures of my youth. Spinning this on the office system.

Star 6,7,8,9 and Perpetual Dawn are my favourites and hold so many memories. Much like Primal Scream's Screamadelica or Sabres of Paradise's Haunted Dancehall this album will never grow old for me.

MartinT
11-04-2013, 06:23
I'm afraid this just isn't my sort of music at all. Sorry!

John
11-04-2013, 06:50
Not really my thing sorry Dave I did give it a try

Bazil
11-04-2013, 16:29
There are parts of this album that drift past me, the chill out moments but then I not that into chill out I get a bit impatient, those bits are still good though and they get a 6/10.
So to the other "bits", these I really love and they get a 10/10.
That if i did me sums right is an 8/10 overall :)

DSJR
11-04-2013, 21:08
Sunny Suffolk skies often have "Little Fluffy Clouds" in 'em and every time I think of this track, and the Ricky Lee Jones interview sample :)

synsei
11-04-2013, 21:33
No worries John & Martin, if we all liked the same sort of music it would be a very boring world :)

This album defines a period in my life when I completely let my hair down and just went for it. I discovered Trance, nightclubs, ciggies and the odd spliff during this period and it all occurred between the ages of 36 and 42. Who said you have to be young to have fun? :cool:

Alex_UK
11-04-2013, 21:43
Listened to it 3 times since Tuesday - on the dining room system, then headphones (brilliant on my new Sony 'phones) and the main system. "Little Fluffy Clouds" is on many of my Chillout compilations, and therefore gets played a lot and is a bit over exposed to me and now the RLJ sample gets on my nerves a bit, and "A Huge Ever Growing Pulsating Brain That Rules from the Centre of the Ultraworld" starts to bore me about 15 minutes in, but otherwise it has stood the test of time pretty well, and gets a very high 9. :)

keiths
16-04-2013, 18:57
7/10.

I've owned this for years, but rarely play it. Quite enjoyed lsitening to it again, but I still don't get on too well with most of this type of 'electronica' which isn't a patch on the 70's - 80's electronic stuff I grew up on.

pjdowns
09-09-2013, 22:16
I've given this a 5 because whilst I like it, it's certainly not my favourite!