PDA

View Full Version : Making tonight...

Filterlab
23-02-2008, 12:20
Following a link popped up by Lowrider on the loudspeaker cables thread, I read about the FFRC DIY cables using 12 strands of 24 gauge (per pole) Cat5e cable. Being a bit of a DIY'er I thought I'd make a set and see how they sound.

Have a look here at The Full Frequency Range Cable (http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/ffrc_e.html) and see what you think.

I happen to have a couple of hundred metres of this cable laying unused at work so plenty for trial and error and fiddling. Will probably go for the braided layout but I won't cover them with braiding (I think the braided arrangement looks funky!) as I don't want to hide the work as such.

Will let you know how I get on!

:)

Vinyl Grinder
23-02-2008, 16:32
Yeh you let us know Rob, i'm sure you'll be instantly impressed! If you are just sit back & think to yourself ''Does this actually sound right''? ;)

Filterlab
23-02-2008, 18:56
Yeh you let us know Rob, i'm sure you'll be instantly impressed! If you are just sit back & think to yourself ''Does this actually sound right''? ;)

No basically, the cables sounded immediately poor and closed in, went back to the X-Tube and the system sounded great again. :)

Worth a try though, cost me nothing.

leo
27-02-2008, 18:04
No basically, the cables sounded immediately poor and closed in, went back to the X-Tube and the system sounded great again. :)

Worth a try though, cost me nothing.

Well thats exactly the result I got too Rob, this was using several different amps.

Filterlab
27-02-2008, 18:30
Glad it wasn't just me then. Mine looked great, but they were decidedly destroyed by my £10/metre QEDs. :)

greenhomeelectronics
27-02-2008, 19:21
Try a bit of twin and earth, like they use for house wiring. Leave the earth lead disconnected, just use the red and black conductors. The 2.5mm stuff normally used for main rings works best, or at least did in my experiments. I have recommended this to a few people that have been surprised by the results. It's awkward to hide but worth a go...
Let us know if you try it.
Dave.

Filterlab
07-03-2008, 22:00
Strangely I just tried these cables out on my front channels on the cinema system - they work amazingly well! Glad I made them now. :)