PDA

View Full Version : Does someone need to feed the hamster

Audio Al
26-03-2013, 21:31
Forum seems to be running sloooooooooooooooow

Take a while to loooooooooooooad the pages

Give the hamster a kick up the arse please :)

Beechwoods
26-03-2013, 21:39
Seems fine to me, and I'm browsing on my laptop over a 3G to wifi connection. It's as fast as normal, and as fast as I normally get at home.

sparrow
26-03-2013, 21:40
Always slow at my end when I use me old PC....was especially slow last night though.:(

Marco
26-03-2013, 21:57
It'll be that dodgy Romanian solar-powered computer you bought at the car boot sale, Al! Well, it's dark now, so it'll be a wee bit slow, innit? :D

Marco.

synsei
26-03-2013, 22:12
The forum was extremely slow for me yesterday resulting in several Page Not Found errors but it seems to be okay so far this evening ;)

Beechwoods
26-03-2013, 22:19
What time, Dave? I didn't get any database error notifications. Load increases around 5-6am when the daily backup runs, which occasionally causes issues at that tine, though only for a few minutes...

Server stats at the moment look fine by the way.

synsei
26-03-2013, 22:35
It started around 16:00 and continued on and off for most of the evening Nick. It was so bad later in the evening that I mentioned it to Marco in one of my posts. I will try to find the post so I can give you a heads up on the time ;)

EDIT: Ah, there we go, 23:08 http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?p=426864#post426864 (third post up from the bottom ;) )

Stratmangler
26-03-2013, 22:44
TBH the slowdown question is a valid one - I have Virgin's finest super slick and quickest broadband, along with 2 computers running Windows 7, and frequently I see forum pages just hanging as the page loads.

Doesn't happen elsewhere, other than Orange's mess of a website.

synsei
26-03-2013, 22:50
We get 30mb/s (22 on a bad day) which is pretty speedy. Only sites messing with my head yesterday was this one and my own forum. I know what the issue is with my forum though, I forgot to feed the Hamsters... ;)

StanleyB
27-03-2013, 08:01
Looks like a Sisco switch routing error to me. I have had server connection errors, but they didn't point to the web hosting server as the origin of the problem.

Beechwoods
27-03-2013, 08:13
Next time it happens can someone do a Traceroute and tell me the IP address where it fails?

This will confirm which step in the chain is causing the problem. It is likely to be ISP / backbone specific.

StanleyB
27-03-2013, 08:17
Next time it happens can someone do a Traceroute and tell me the IP address where it fails?

This will confirm which step in the chain is causing the problem. It is likely to be ISP / backbone specific.
That's what I did, which is why a mentioned Sisco ;).

Beechwoods
27-03-2013, 08:26
I thought so, which really helps. Having a couple of people confirm the same thing will hopefully put this to bed properly :)

synsei
27-03-2013, 14:31

Happy to do that if you can tell me how ;)

MartinT
27-03-2013, 14:43
Open a Command window and type:
tracert theartofsound.net

It will give you all the 'hops' on the journey to the AoS website. If it sticks at a certain point on a particular hop, just let us have the URL/IP address given, please.

For instance, today from work the entire journey is 18ms which is fast.

Beechwoods
27-03-2013, 15:09
On a Mac 'Network Utility' has a GUI Traceroute option that works in a similar way.

StanleyB
27-03-2013, 16:34
The root of the problem is a lot more complicated than what you guys think. There is a war going on out there on the net with the police now involved. Spamhaus and Cyberpunk are battling each other as we speak. Google for more details.

Alex_UK
27-03-2013, 16:51
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21954636#TWEET690031

Beechwoods
27-03-2013, 17:41
Lol! I was just about to post virtually the same thing...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2299999/Global-internet-slowdown-biggest-cyber-attack-history.html

MartinT
27-03-2013, 18:32
Yep, we've seen the slow-downs at random times over the last few days with no real pattern over times or sites affected. It really is a war out there. The way that internet routing is designed is such that DDOS attacks affect many services, not just the targeted site :(

synsei
27-03-2013, 19:23
Perhaps we need an internet war correspondent to keep us updated with the latest news from both sides.

"I'm not allowed to say how many data packets have joined the raid, but I counted them all out and I counted them all back. The hackers are unhurt, cheerful and jubilant, giving thumbs-up signs." ;)

StanleyB
28-03-2013, 08:03
If you have a badly configured broadband modem or router, anybody in the outside world can use it to redirect traffic and attack a target – in this case, Spamhaus.
Many routers in the UK provided by ISPs have settings enabled which let them be controlled remotely for servicing. If you are able to log into your router then I suggest that you do so and check your settings. Disable any outside administration options. Some routers have mail forwarding as well. I suggest that unless you absolutely need it that option should be disabled.

MartinT
28-03-2013, 08:45
I would never trust a router supplied by an ISP. I select and install my own and enable all the security settings.

StanleyB
28-03-2013, 09:26
I think that we need to start a thread about setting up a router with the security features enabled so that the router can't be hijacked. Based on some of the comments regarding access to AoS it would not surprise me if some routers belonging to AoS members have been compromised.

MartinT
28-03-2013, 10:22
Yes, I suspect you're right, Stan. There also seem to be members who don't take their anti-virus software very seriously.