PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 85: 19.03.2013 - Groove Armada - Vertigo (1999)

Album Club
19-03-2013, 20:41
Alex_UK's turn this week:

Groove Armada - Vertigo (1999)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31C2AEYCJDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
http://open.spotify.com/album/0h6tPnAiO6Rp4aCAlA87jo

For me, there is a "holy trinity" of chill out albums, and as I have already presented the other two on Album Club for your delectation it would be rude not to finish the job! (The other two, in case you were wondering are Air's Moon Safari, and Zero 7's Simple Things.)

This recent(ish) BBC review pretty much sums it up for me:

Prince may have neglected to mention it, but 1999 actually belonged to Groove Armada's Vertigo and Moby's Play. Along with Air's Moon Safari, released a year earlier, they were standard-issue discs in even the most causal of music collections at the end of the 90s. These records marked the moment that dance music came good at album length, and although not every track of Vertigo was licensed to advertising (unlike Play, of course) it felt like it. Adverts have thankfully moved on, allowing Vertigo space to breath.

Groove Armada, formed of jazz musician Andy Cato and Tom Findlay, had been floating around the dance scene as DJs, pressing white label 12"s, for some time before this album - which was not, as many believed, their first. That was 1998's Northern Star (on indie label Tommy Touch), a collection of rougher jazz/house sketches that showed unlikely promise. Until last year's [2010] assured Black Light album, subsequent Groove Armada albums were similarly patchy, but the fully formed Vertigo went gold, and remains its makers' calling card.

With a classy, understated cover, Vertigo is an accomplished blend of musicianship, well-informed samples and guest vocalists. The biggest of its singles was the soon-to-be-live-favourite I See You Baby, with Gram'ma Funk on lead vocals: a dirty slink of a tune celebrating clubbing at its most base (and honest). Another single, the Patti Page-sampling At the River, impresses to this day despite its ubiquity at the time in both television use and on Café del Mar-styled chill-out compilations. Its trombone riff taunts you with familiarity, before the song kicks in and the sun dips again to kiss its Balearic beat undercurrents.

It is impossible not to see the duo as ringmasters pressing the buttons, an image which persists to the present day. From the sumptuous G funk of Whatever, Whenever, to Pre 63's muted trumpet, via the ambient landfill of Served Chilled and the house anthem of If Everybody Looked the Same, the pair seldom takes their eyes off the (glitter) ball. The sultry Dusk You & Me particularly impresses, and the hypnotic loops and sumptuous horn-break of Inside My Mind (Blue Skies) allow it to shine as a lesser-known highlight.

2001's Superstylin' single was Groove Armada's resignation as chill-out kings, but they will be forever associated with this album's down-tempo vibe. Although original copies are now more likely to be soundtracking baby feeds than drug comedowns, there is nothing here to be ashamed of - time has been kind and this remains a classic of its genre.

A bit like Moby's Play mentioned above, this has suffered a bit due to over use, but it is still an album that I just love to bits and sound great on a decent system. I'll admit that the era was also a good "time and place" in my life so it stirs the soul and brings back some very fond memories - and isn't that what music should be about?

I was going to mention that it is worth getting the SACD version of this, but having seen that it is just shy of £40 to get a copy I'd stick with the standard CD which you can pick up from Amazon Marketplace for 1p + p&p! Vinyl heads won't get away lightly either, as second-hand copies go for £35+ unfortunately...

I hope you enjoy the final third of my chill out trilogy (although I am sure there will be a few groans... be thankful it's not Britney again and I promise to do something non-chilled next time around! Probably. ;) )

synsei
19-03-2013, 21:03
Excellent choice Alex :respect:

Although I don't feel quite the same way about the Air album, I am totally with you regarding Simple Things and Vertigo. Man, this brings back some very, very good memories for me, thanks dude... 10/10

Alex_UK
19-03-2013, 21:06
Glad you're a fan Dave - one of those albums I play more than any other and never tire of it. I love all their stuff to be honest but this is still the jewel in their crown. :)

synsei
19-03-2013, 21:08
Glad you're a fan Dave - one of those albums I play more than any other and never tire of it. I love all their stuff to be honest but this is still the jewel in their crown. :)

Absolutely... :D :cool:

MartinT
20-03-2013, 08:47
When mentioned alongside Air, Zero 7 and Moby, I perked up immediately. I like a lot of the output of all three and I'd never listened to Groove Armada before.

So I've been listening to Vertigo this morning and it's with a heavy heart that I must report that this music is so far away from what I like to listen to that I've been scrunching my face up and skipping past tracks. This kind of dance/trance/chill/whatever leaves me absolutely cold - it goes nowhere and sounds awful getting there. Sorry! 1/10.

Bazil
20-03-2013, 09:34
Their name has always amused me, lets hope the music does too :cool:

Alex_UK
20-03-2013, 09:42
When mentioned alongside Air, Zero 7 and Moby, I perked up immediately. I like a lot of the output of all three and I'd never listened to Groove Armada before.

So I've been listening to Vertigo this morning and it's with a heavy heart that I must report that this music is so far away from what I like to listen to that I've been scrunching my face up and skipping past tracks. This kind of dance/trance/chill/whatever leaves me absolutely cold - it goes nowhere and sounds awful getting there. Sorry! 1/10.

:eek:

Just goes to show how personal music is, and it would be a dull old world if we all liked the same thing, Martin!

And yes - although this is one third of my personal Chillrogy (see what I did their? ;)) they are three very different albums.

I bet I could put a compilation of Groove Armada tracks together that might change your mind about them, though... leave that thought with me! ;)

chelsea
20-03-2013, 09:50
Preferred air and zero 7 but there are a couple of good tracks on there.
Also worth mentioning morcheeba - Big calm from the same period.

MartinT
20-03-2013, 10:14
I bet I could put a compilation of Groove Armada tracks together that might change your mind about them, though... leave that thought with me! ;)

Drop it in my Spotify box and I'll take a listen.

MartinT
20-03-2013, 10:15
Also worth mentioning morcheeba - Big calm from the same period.

I love Big Calm. Just goes to show, as Alex said.

Alex_UK
20-03-2013, 10:45
Drop it in my Spotify box and I'll take a listen.

Actually a lot harder than I thought it would be, to avoid the overtly "dance" tracks, which is where I suspect your dislike lies, Martin?

Anyway, try this.

http://open.spotify.com/user/alex_steel1969/playlist/2CWU2z8mhNh0pvH6TNtSko

(I'd be surprised if you don't like tracks 3, 4, 5, 6, & 7 at least Martin, but you never know! :) )

Bazil
20-03-2013, 11:27

I wish I could speak for myself but Martin has said it and it would have been 2/10 from me.
I say would have been because I didn't know "At the River" was on here and I really like that song big time so 7/10. A bit much because of one track? I don't think so ;)

Audioman
20-03-2013, 16:13
Not my kind of music but there are some good tracks. Of course the most famous is 'At the River' which relies on a sample of Patti Page's 'Old Cape Cod' from 1957. So is this just plagiarism or compositional talent? It is better than I expected but can't see me doing repeat listens. 5/10

Audioman
20-03-2013, 16:17
I say would have been because I didn't know "At the River" was on here and I really like that song big time so 7/10. A bit much because of one track? I don't think so ;)

Yes but what makes it is the sample - musically very little else there. You are giving 2 for this album and 5 for a 1957 Patti Page recording. Just check out the original 'Old Cape Cod'.

keiths
20-03-2013, 17:21
Hmmm - love 'At The River', hate 'I See You Baby'. Most of the rest was OK. I've given it 5/10.

Bazil
20-03-2013, 19:01
Yes but what makes it is the sample - musically very little else there. You are giving 2 for this album and 5 for a 1957 Patti Page recording. Just check out the original 'Old Cape Cod'.

Yes I know, like I said its worth it 7 because of the track . The original is a pleasant song but the GA version is excellent IMO of course :)

The Grand Wazoo
20-03-2013, 19:04
No, not for me thanks.
My assessment is much the same as Martin's really, except I appreciated some of the trumpet parts.
3/10

MartinT
20-03-2013, 23:11
Anyway, try this.

Thanks, I'm listening...

Alex_UK
20-03-2013, 23:22
Now I'm nervous!

Marco
22-03-2013, 09:11
Much prefer 'Lazy Moon' to that other shite, Alex (sorry!) I completely agree with Martin and Chris.

I like dance music, such as Tiesto, Faithless, etc, and loads of obscure 'club mixes' on 12" singles, which I buy from DJ record shops, but the style of the music on Vertigo is just too lame and cheesy, and distinctly dated sounding, for my tastes. I'd give it a 2.

Now, 'Lazy Moon', on the other hand, is FAR more interesting - much more electronic and ambient in style, quite 'Kraftwerky', actually, in parts, with a hint of Tiesto/David Morales! :)

That track I'd give 8 out of 10. I also like track 9 'Healing', which is nice and groovy, but still chillax'd. That would be a 7. Kind of Nitin Sawhney-like... The final track 'Likwid' is also wicked - me loikes! I'd play that at 3am with the lights out, toking on some prime herbs... :peace: or maybe whilst driving the car, late at night on the motorway, at a ton, when there's no other bugger around, and man and machine are at one, if ya gets me - very groovy, baby... That'd also be an 8!

I started from 'Lazy Moon', so I'll go back the way now, lol...

Hate the kind of house/hip-hoppy stuff, such as 'Superstylin' - not for me. Like 'Drifted' - yup, nice 'n' skanky and mellow. That'd be a 7. 'Little by Little' is quite Moby-like. Very good! That'd also be a 7. I also like 'My Friend'. That's one's very interesting indeed: like a cross between Chaka-Khan and Madonna, but more funk/soul than disco, with a hink of Mobyness. That'd be an 8.

Overall, then, I'd give 'Goodbye Country (Hello Nightclub') an 8. It's something I'd happily listen to when I'm in the mood for that style of music. Would be great to hear it on vinyl, as I know that the Techy would LURVE it, and positively soak-up those chunky and deeply melodic basslines! :eyebrows:

Nice one, muchacho, but you can bin Vertigo (save 'At the River', which is excellent: that track would be an 8) ;)

Marco.

Alex_UK
22-03-2013, 09:31
Wow - thanks Marco for giving them a real good go! It is sometimes hard to like an entire album or artist when their output swings across so many different styles like GA do, and for me that makes them interesting but I can completely understand why for some people it might be the opposite.

Marco
22-03-2013, 09:43
No worries, matey. I should look in here more often, but it's just finding the time! :doh:

Btw, I've edited my post about Vertigo and added that I love 'At the River'. 'Your Song', which sounds like funk'd-up Sade, is not three bad either, but as far as Vertigo goes, dude, that's it for me :cool:

Marco.

Tim
22-03-2013, 10:53
I'm just about to dive in ;)

I actually have one Groove Armada album, Goodbye Country (Hello Nightclub) which I bought from a local charity shop, not sure if I have played it though, certainly not in the last 12 months as its not shown on my Last.fm playlist :scratch:

Tim
22-03-2013, 12:25
OK Alex, I'm all done...... um, well sorry fella but I didn't enjoy it. I quite liked Chicago, but it went downhill rapidly after that, with a very slight upward blip for At the River, but on the whole its not something I would choose to hear again - but knowledge is power, so thanks for reconfirming your very unique tastes :lol:

Scoring is tough if you took out the two tracks I mentioned I would give it 1/10, but as they were OK, it gets 3/10.

MartinT
22-03-2013, 13:02
That's a hell of a spread of scores - no bell curve in sight :lol:

Marco
22-03-2013, 13:17
More like a bell-end curve :eyebrows:

Marco.

RichB
23-03-2013, 00:54
Well its an 8 from me as I've always liked groove armada but actually prefer 'Goodbye country' to this album.

When this album was first released it got done to death with all the adverts using the tracks and that put it in the category of 'cheesy' when compared to my tastes at the time, however I'd agree with the review that it has now surpassed all that and can stand again as a credible 'chill out' album in its own right. Having long since lost the tape copy I made of this from a mate back then I also acquired a copy for less than a quid from that auction place and I feel it deserves a place in my collection as it does represent where our heads were at the time.

I'd agree it sits well with the rest of your 'chillogy' Alex ( all of which I also own), my own ultimate chill selection would have to be

Sabres of Paradise - Haunted Dancehall
Underworld - Dubnobasswithmyheadman
Leftfield - Leftism

Alex, if you weren't already familiar with these I'd be keen to know what you thought of them as they predate GA by about 5 or 6 year.

Alex_UK
23-03-2013, 08:58
Hi Rich, yes - I have all of the stuff by those 3 - (Smokebelch II (Beatless Mix) from Sabres of Paradise's 1993 album Sabresonic is one of the chillout greats, and on loads of chillout compilations.)

aGQ3iZZXaJM

(I got a bit obsessed with chill out compilations actually - got nearly 250 of them!)

I've toyed with putting Leftism up for Album Club in the past but I think it will be something completely different next time. :)

John
23-03-2013, 09:05
I not vote as not really music I enjoy but thanks for sharing

dantheman91
16-06-2014, 14:42
Excellent also brings back some fine memories 9/10

:)