PDA

View Full Version : Single Channel Op-Amp help!

ReachtheSky
03-04-2009, 02:06
I have a battery preamp that has separate op-amps for each channel. The current ones are two MC34071P op-amps.

I am considering upgrade op-amp options including OPA134 and AD843.

I would appreciate any good value/good sonic performance recommendations for single channel op-amps to try in this battery preamp.

Thanks Granville

ReachtheSky
03-04-2009, 02:56
These are DIP type opamp chips - I think that is the correct description - they fit into sockets for easy changing. No soldering required!

sponge
03-04-2009, 08:30
I have a battery preamp that has separate op-amps for each channel. The current ones are two MC34071P op-amps.

I am considering upgrade op-amp options including OPA134 and AD843.

I would appreciate any good value/good sonic performance recommendations for single channel op-amps to try in this battery preamp.

Thanks Granville

You could do worse than start here:

http://www.tangentsoft.net/audio/opamps.html

Some good information.

I am using the AD843 in my DIY desktop amp and it suits my ears just fine. This is after much opamp rolling - I keep coming back to the 843. Not too sure how it will work under battery power though. They are good value chips, so no great loss if you don't like the sound.

Good luck - Ken

ReachtheSky
03-04-2009, 09:24
Thanks for recommendations on the AD843 Ken. I believe it is a great value chip, but draws quite a lot of current which may be a problem for battery power.

Two other opamps I've read about, with respect to battery power, are AD8610 and AD825?

Granville

sponge
03-04-2009, 11:07
Two other opamps I've read about, with respect to battery power, are AD8610 and AD825?

Granville

I've not tried the AD825, but I know the 8610 (and 8620 - the dual version) quite well. They have (to me) quite a lively sound - loads of detail but not harsh. I like them a lot, but I am not too sure they are available in DIP - Only SOIC, so they would require an adapter.
You may also like to consider the OPA627 - Really nice sounding Opamp but hellish expensive.
Personally, I would try the cheaper OPA134 first which is very well behaved and pretty good sounding, then work up to the higher spec devices.

Cheers - Ken

ReachtheSky
03-04-2009, 13:08
The OPA134 sounds a good start Ken.
Thanks Granville