PDA

View Full Version : Nick's System

Nick
21-02-2008, 14:08
Here are some pictures of the current incarnation in the constantly (although hopefully not so constantly) evolving system :-

First up my one and only source :-

dCS P8i SACD player

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j213/Nick_Bassman/IMGP0050.jpg

Followed by the amplifier, I only bought this as a summer time back up but it sounds so good I haven't taken it out since I got it. This will be rotated with my Melody Astro Black 22 as and when I feel like schlepping the valve beasty into place. Pictures of the Melody when it's next slotted in the rack.

Red Wine Audio Sig 30.2 SLA Battery amplifier

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j213/Nick_Bassman/IMGP0048.jpg

Finally the speakers. Two pictures in this instance to show the overall picture and the unusual finish ;)

Zu Definition 2

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j213/Nick_Bassman/IMGP0042.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j213/Nick_Bassman/IMGP0049.jpg

The gear sits on a Finite Elemente Pagode HD rack.
Cables are Kubala Sosna all the way through.

Cheers

Nick

Filterlab
21-02-2008, 14:10
Woah! Now that's a nice finish on your Zus, was that a special order or have they been hand finished by a third party?

I heard those speakers at the Manc show, amazing with the right source. :)

Nick
21-02-2008, 17:02
Woah! Now that's a nice finish on your Zus, was that a special order or have they been hand finished by a third party?

I heard those speakers at the Manc show, amazing with the right source. :)

Hi Rob

This was a custom finish from Zu. Looks even better in the flesh. Changes colour in the different light conditions.

They do sound great too :)

Were the pair in Manchester the bone coloured ones ??

Cheers

Nick

Vinyl Grinder
21-02-2008, 17:27
Mi dad used to be into Custom cars in the '70's he had that finish but in emerald green fleck..Look nice all the same.

Filterlab
21-02-2008, 20:48
Were the pair in Manchester the bone coloured ones ??

They were indeed mate, and looked cracking as they were. They also had a pair that weren't d'appolito in a black gloss that looked a foot deep.

The first track I heard through them was from an LP12 (:() and sounded pants frankly, however once the EMM Labs CD player got up and running the speakers just came alive - talk about fulfilling, a completeness across the whole audio band and naturally musical, great for big band stuff I would think.

Nick
21-02-2008, 21:35
They were indeed mate, and looked cracking as they were. They also had a pair that weren't d'appolito in a black gloss that looked a foot deep.

The first track I heard through them was from an LP12 (:() and sounded pants frankly, however once the EMM Labs CD player got up and running the speakers just came alive - talk about fulfilling, a completeness across the whole audio band and naturally musical, great for big band stuff I would think.

I had the bone finished pair on dem from Simon at Musicology and I agree it is a nice finish. I'm guessing the gloss black pair would be Druids unless the cabinet was triangular in which case that would be the new Presence.

I totally agree with what you say about completeness across the audio band it's one of the things that I really liked about them. Reaping the benefit of no crossover and a single driver between about 40Hz to 12KHz. The active bass array at the back steps in below the 40Hz mark pretty seamlessly too and the tweeter is very smooth but still nicely detailed.

They work well on all types of music and are as you mentioned naturally musical and fatigue free. Can't you tell I love 'em ?? :D

Filterlab
22-02-2008, 08:42
...Can't you tell I love 'em ?? :D

Oh yes!

The others were Druids in that case, I'd forgotten they were crossoverless.

Any chance Zu would re-finish speakers from other manufacturers? :eyebrows:

Nick
25-02-2008, 21:50
Any chance Zu would re-finish speakers from other manufacturers? :eyebrows:

Hi Rob

I get the feeling that they have their hands full just finishing the speakers they produce !! They will, in that instance, go for pretty well anything your heart could desire.

I was reading a review of the new Presence model which is offered as standard in some funky matt finishes which are mooted to be very durable and good looking.

Best wishes

Nick

Nick
17-04-2008, 19:15
Finally got round to putting the Melody Astro Black 22 in the rack. Here as promised is a (rather poor due to the reflective finish) picture of the beast :)

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j213/Nick_Bassman/IMGP0062.jpg

Marco
17-04-2008, 19:26
Nice amp, Nick!

What kind of valve is that in the middle? I haven't seen it before.

Marco.

Nick
17-04-2008, 20:36
Nice amp, Nick!

What kind of valve is that in the middle? I haven't seen it before.

Marco.

Thanks Marco, that's a 101D in the middle :)

Togil
06-05-2008, 07:03
Nick,

have you ever tried the digital volume control on the dcs ?

Hans

Nick
06-05-2008, 20:33
Nick,

have you ever tried the digital volume control on the dcs ?

Hans

Hi Hans

Yes I have used the digital volume on the dCS but mainly as a trimming tool to adjust the output into whatever amplifier I'm using. By this I mean rather than using it in the same range of adjustment as a preamp.

Cheers

Nick

Nick
28-01-2010, 20:50
Well, it's been a while since I last posted here so by way of an "I'm back" I thought I'd post up the changes/additions to my system.

I still have the Zu Def 2s but there have been some changes to both the front end and amplification in my system. I still have the RWA 30.2 and the Melody AB 22, they reside in my backup rack most of the time these days.

New front end :-

Esoteric P-05

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j213/Nick_Bassman/IMGP0117.jpg

Esoteric D-05

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j213/Nick_Bassman/IMGP0118.jpg

The current amplifier of choice :-

Yamamoto A-011

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j213/Nick_Bassman/IMGP0193.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j213/Nick_Bassman/IMGP0195.jpg

and just in case :-

Luxman L-550 AII

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j213/Nick_Bassman/IMGP0269.jpg

Ali Tait
28-01-2010, 21:02
Very nice! Are those emission labs 45's?

Nick
28-01-2010, 21:34
Very nice! Are those emission labs 45's?

Hi Ali and thanks :)

They are Emission Labs 2A3s.

Spectral Morn
28-01-2010, 23:58
Hi Nick

Wow, WOW, WOW

Love your new kit. Esoteric lovely. Yamamoto....oh how I would love to hear that. I read all about it on 6 Moons, and it got a stonking review.

You are a very fortunate chap..indeed :)

Regards D S D L

Nick
29-01-2010, 14:06
Hi Nick

Wow, WOW, WOW

Love your new kit. Esoteric lovely. Yamamoto....oh how I would love to hear that. I read all about it on 6 Moons, and it got a stonking review.

You are a very fortunate chap..indeed :)

Regards D S D L

Hi DSDL

I am indeed a fortunate boy, with the longest suffering wife :)

The Yamamoto reviews on 6Moons were mostly for the A-08, although they did review the A-09 later. Mine is a real powerhouse compared to the 2 watt A-08, all of 4 watts :lol:

Ali Tait
29-01-2010, 14:45
How does it sound?

Nick
29-01-2010, 18:21
How does it sound?

I guess you're really interested in the Yamamoto ?

It sounds great, not really the "archetypal" valve sound so often cited by naysayers.

It is fast and open, superb midrange as would be expected. It also is very sweet in the treble and good in the bass. It has very good resolution but doesn't throw detail at you in that unpleasant way some gear can do. Things are revealed on the recording in a very natural way. I never find it runs out of juice either for my listening levels, of course some of the load is eased with the Zu's powered bass array coming in around 50Hz. It's quite simply the best of the amps I own. I can listen to it for hours and it just makes the music very accessible and enjoyable.

I just thank my lucky stars that I bought before the Yen got too strong against the pound.

Also a big heads up for Keith at Angelsound, no affiliation apart from being a satisified customer, who has always been helpful and really looks after his customers.

If anyone is interested I'll put together a more detailed resume for the Yamamoto and the other gear :)

Marc B
04-02-2010, 20:14
beautiful kit you have there mr.

:)

Ali Tait
04-02-2010, 20:27
I guess you're really interested in the Yamamoto ?

It sounds great, not really the "archetypal" valve sound so often cited by naysayers.

It is fast and open, superb midrange as would be expected. It also is very sweet in the treble and good in the bass. It has very good resolution but doesn't throw detail at you in that unpleasant way some gear can do. Things are revealed on the recording in a very natural way. I never find it runs out of juice either for my listening levels, of course some of the load is eased with the Zu's powered bass array coming in around 50Hz. It's quite simply the best of the amps I own. I can listen to it for hours and it just makes the music very accessible and enjoyable.

I just thank my lucky stars that I bought before the Yen got too strong against the pound.

Also a big heads up for Keith at Angelsound, no affiliation apart from being a satisified customer, who has always been helpful and really looks after his customers.

If anyone is interested I'll put together a more detailed resume for the Yamamoto and the other gear :)

Hi Nick,
Sorry,must've missed this.Yes please I'd be interested,that's a lovely piece of kit.The 2a3 is a nice valve.Have you tried any NOS?

Nick
09-02-2010, 13:49
Hi Nick,
Sorry,must've missed this.Yes please I'd be interested,that's a lovely piece of kit.The 2a3 is a nice valve.Have you tried any NOS?

Hi Ali

For a while there I thought I'd bored you into silence :lol:

When the amp arrived it was fitted with NOS RCA 2A3s. I wanted a spare set so I spoke to Jac at JacMusic, he is the German importer of Yamamoto. He was very helpful and politely told me that I hadn't really heard my A-011 until I'd tried a set of the Emission Labs valves. Boy was he right, after some adjustment to get rid of some hum, these valves brought the amplifier to life. The NOS RCAs now sit in the shelf as drop in spares should the need arise.

I'll try and formulate some notes regarding how it, the A-011, sounds.

Ali Tait
09-02-2010, 15:10
I've heard EL 45's before.Very nice! Look great too.