PDA

View Full Version : Music Server Solutions for a MS sufferer

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
29-03-2009, 17:23
OK Guys

Here’s a question for the music server experts on the forum. Will note the scenario below then you can give me your thoughts for the solution.

Been to visit a good mate of mine earlier today, known him over 30 years. While there he mentioned that his Shanling CD player was playing up, won’t spin a disc and the display is blank. I’ve got it at home, nothing obvious so it’s off to a local engineer to check out.

Now that’s not the main problem, my mate has MS and is really not very well at all. It has got to the point where he can’t now put a CD into a player without the great risk of damage to the player or hurting himself. The operation of a remote control is just about possible, so what I am thinking about is a music server solution. Will bullet point the requirements below;

·Able to rip CD’s direct, preferably without the use of a PC.
·Remote control operation, small fiddly buttons are no good at all.
·Connectability to his main amp.
·Easy to use and setup ( as it will be me that sets it up ).
·It will have to be reasonable cost, not too expensive.

I think that about covers it. Any suggestions will be most gratefully received. I don’t know enough about music servers so thought it best to question you lot, as a bunch of knowledgeable experts.

Cheers guys

Andy - SDDW

Primalsea
29-03-2009, 18:48
Hi Andy,

You might want to try a PC set up with a Digital output into a DAC. I can offer some help if need be if your not sure what to do.

The reasons why I say this (other than I have just got one and think it's great) are:

You can buy large button keyboards and mice/trackballs etc designed for disabled people.

The CD/DVD Roms are cheap to replace and you can have more than 1 in a PC. If they get broken its not too much of an issue to replace them.

jon1
29-03-2009, 18:51
OK Guys

Here’s a question for the music server experts on the forum. Will note the scenario below then you can give me your thoughts for the solution.

Been to visit a good mate of mine earlier today, known him over 30 years. While there he mentioned that his Shanling CD player was playing up, won’t spin a disc and the display is blank. I’ve got it at home, nothing obvious so it’s off to a local engineer to check out.

Now that’s not the main problem, my mate has MS and is really not very well at all. It has got to the point where he can’t now put a CD into a player without the great risk of damage to the player or hurting himself. The operation of a remote control is just about possible, so what I am thinking about is a music server solution. Will bullet point the requirements below;

·Able to rip CD’s direct, preferably without the use of a PC.
·Remote control operation, small fiddly buttons are no good at all.
·Connectability to his main amp.
·Easy to use and setup ( as it will be me that sets it up ).
·It will have to be reasonable cost, not too expensive.

I think that about covers it. Any suggestions will be most gratefully received. I don’t know enough about music servers so thought it best to question you lot, as a bunch of knowledgeable experts.

Cheers guys

Andy - SDDW

Andy... Have a look her there not that cheap:scratch:https://www.ripcaster.co.uk/node/128

jon

Stratmangler
29-03-2009, 19:12
Hi Andy

The Squeezebox route isn't too costly.
It does need a computer of some sort for storage purposes.
How big a CD collection are we talking ?

Chris:)

29-03-2009, 20:23
Hi Guys

Will try and answer all the questions;

Chris;

The Squeezebox would be the logical option, just wondered what else was available

The CD collection I would guess is about 300 -400 sort of size.

Jon;

Will check out the Ripcaster site, looks like it's worth a close look. Cheers

Paul;

I didn't consider the big keyboard and tracker ball options, that could be a good solution, especially if they could be wireless. The cheap replacement option of the roms is also a nice thought.

Plenty to ponder over.

So if we went the PC route what software would be considered best to use. It would be solely used as a music server, though could be WiFi connected to the main PC for download purposes. A smallish monitor close by his chair and a tracker ball would be a nice solution.

Any other thoughts guys, keep them coming.

Andy - SDDW

Ali Tait
30-03-2009, 08:05
The AVA RS3 would have been my suggestion also.Just chuck a cd in and it rips it automatically.No need for a pc.Not the cheapest option though.

judge j
30-03-2009, 18:32
I am severely disabled especially hands. I bought a Yamaha cdr 1500 hd. It rips albums holds I think about 400 albums, which are dead easy to put on the hard drive, and the sound playback off the hard drive is amazing. I dont know where you would get one, I've had a look where I got mine from, discontinued. Try ebay, get the 1500 not the 1300. Cheers everybody.

Spectral Morn
30-03-2009, 18:39
I am severely disabled especially hands. I bought a Yamaha cdr 1500 hd. It rips albums holds I think about 400 albums, which are dead easy to put on the hard drive, and the sound playback off the hard drive is amazing. I dont know where you would get one, I've had a look where I got mine from, discontinued. Try ebay, get the 1500 not the 1300. Cheers everybody.

Nice one judge j.

I have a Yamaha 1500 and if you use the digital out into a good dac the sound is very good IMHO. Fairly easy to use once its been loaded up. Storage of CD's is not as big either as a computer based solution. However the remote is covered in small buttons so the PC/Mac type option might be better from that point of view.

Regards D S D L

30-03-2009, 19:25
Hi Guys

Plenty to check out, thanks to your posts. Will run some of the ideas past my mate and see what he thinks.

Keep them coming,

Andy - SDDW

judge j
31-03-2009, 17:13
Nice one judge j.

I have a Yamaha 1500 and if you use the digital out into a good dac the sound is very good IMHO. Fairly easy to use once its been loaded up. Storage of CD's is not as big either as a computer based solution. However the remote is covered in small buttons so the PC/Mac type option might be better from that point of view.

Regards D S D L
You right about the buttons, they are a bit fiddly, but I got used to them in the end, still make the odd mistake though. I've got a ca dac magic, am goiny to try the yamaha through it. Thanks everybody.

Ali Tait
31-03-2009, 18:36
Andy,google the Drobo.I've been thinking about getting one myself.It's a NAS that you bung your own hard drives into.It takes up to 4,and automates everything to do with RAID etc so your music collection is always safe.You can even hot swap drives if one breaks down.Looks after itself basically.

kalozois100
31-03-2009, 19:21
Hi Andy,

You might want to try a PC set up with a Digital output into a DAC. I can offer some help if need be if your not sure what to do.

The reasons why I say this (other than I have just got one and think it's great) are:

You can buy large button keyboards and mice/trackballs etc designed for disabled people.

The CD/DVD Roms are cheap to replace and you can have more than 1 in a PC. If they get broken its not too much of an issue to replace them.

i think that this is the set up i am after to use my laptop as transport to play cds into a dac. i have the beresford tc7510 and need a usb to either optical or coaxial adaptor. Someone has suggested dolphin for the adaptor and maplin. i have seen the dolphin but not the maplin one as i can't find it on their site. i would be grateful if anyone can suggest any other adapters that are effective and the best price. also if you can transport 24/96 via usb and then into the adaptor. also on how you get the audio signal out of the pc and out through the usb cable. did you need specific software to be able to do this?? i have an acer laptop running xp service pack three on it. i have windows media player, media monkey and foobar, nero, programmes. Thanks
Kalozois.

SteveW
01-04-2009, 18:26
Just a thought...Using what is called Front Row on a Mac involves a very basic remote that only has 6 buttons. It enables simple access to music photos and movies via a basic but attractive menu.
Your mate would obviously need help in loading all the other stuff, but once on the hard drive it can easily be accessed via the small stick like remote...its about the size of one of those earlier ipod nanos. I would have thought the mac mini comes with one.

The Vinyl Adventure
03-04-2009, 19:15
i have just bought a linn majik ds
cd on to the computer/nas drive could be complicated to do for disabled hands but the reason i mention it is the control of it can be very simple
you can use a touch screen tablet pc to use a very simple program called linn gui
sneaky ds is the cheapest model but still a budget of aprox £1500 to include a nas drive or just about £1000 for use with pc. be warned if this is a route you might want to persue linn prices rise 20% 1st may

www.uhes.co.uk
a phone call to these guys would answer a lot of questions

daveyboy
05-04-2009, 16:00
Glad to see that digital music can provide some solutions :)

05-04-2009, 17:03
Hi Guys

Cheers for your input, and quite a lot to consider.
Wil run this lot past him during the week, keep this ideas comong.

Cheers All

Andy - SDDW