PDA

View Full Version : Films you thought would be rubbish but turned out to be good...

synsei
25-02-2013, 08:03
To compliment the 'Nominations for the absolute worst movie ever...' thread I thought I'd throw this one into the mix too.

My first nomination for this category is Battle For Los Angeles. I was expecting this to be a typically gung ho, cheesy, 'America saves the world' action flick and it doesn't disappoint, however it has an intelligently written script and the character development is pretty good to the point that I actually cared about what happened to them. I really enjoyed it actually which came as a very pleasant surprise.

MartinT
25-02-2013, 08:39
Spot on, Dave. I was similarly impressed with Battle for Los Angeles, in fact I didn't really want to watch it for fear of it being the usual dire crap.

The other one that really impressed me was Monsters, where the aliens form an eerie backdrop to a rather well executed relationship story.

synsei
25-02-2013, 08:55
Okay, here's another one for you: Set the 'Way Back Machine' to 1982 and don all your best New Romantic clobber once again, if it still fits.. hehe

I was a very regular cinema goer back then and my friends and I had been to see all sorts that year, Tron being the real biggy. My mum decided that my sister was missing out and more or less forced me into taking her to see a film of her choice. Not impressed in the slightly, I grudgingly took her to see The Dark Crystal one Saturday morning. We took our seats and I settled down to what I thought would be a very boring hour and a half. Well, I don't want to go into too much detail as it will all get just a little bit soppy, but I exited the cinema with a new found respect for Jim Henson... :cool:

Macca
25-02-2013, 10:15
City of God - so many people raved about it I caved in and bought a cheap copy - thought it would be some worthy but boring foreign film (Brazilain, in Portugese with subtitles). Blimey - how wrong was I?

synsei
25-02-2013, 10:18
City of God - so many people raved about it I caved in and bought a cheap copy - thought it would be some worthy but boring foreign film (Brazilain, in Portugese with subtitles). Blimey - how wrong was I?

I've yet to see it Martin, that's another entry on my list ;)

Macca
25-02-2013, 10:26
I've yet to see it Martin, that's another entry on my list ;)

Get it watched, Dave! It grips you from the first couple of minutes and doesn't let go. Some of it is pure genius filmmaking.

morris_minor
25-02-2013, 10:37
I nominate "Plan 9 from Outer Space (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_9_from_Outer_Space)" - so bad it's terrifically good . . . :lol:

synsei
25-02-2013, 10:37
I watched a film last night that blew me away, in fact it was quite a difficult watch in places, not because it was bad or anything, it's just that the subject matter was disturbing. T'is called The Magdalene Sisters (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01pvb7c/The_Magdalene_Sisters/) and it's on BBC iPlayer just now... :)

Macca
25-02-2013, 10:43
'Commando' with Arnold Shwarzenegger. With anyone eles in the title role this would be a dire piece of crap but Arnie tackles his lines so badly, like a fat man trying to climb over a big boulder, that somehow it actually works on a level not intended. I've watched this film about half a dozen times it always cracks me up.

walpurgis
25-02-2013, 11:07
The grandkids live with me and I have to 'endure' their taste in movies to an extent.

Recently, they've watched "Mr Bean's holiday" a couple of times and I was expecting it to be childish crap basically, but it surprised me. You have to tune into Rowan Atkinson's bizzarre character of course, but it's actually a good, clever, well made and funny film! I was pleasantly surprised.

jollyfix
25-02-2013, 11:28
Master and commander, with Russell Crowe in the lead i thought this film would be all hollywood. I was so wrong.

Barry
25-02-2013, 14:10
I watched a film last night that blew me away, in fact it was quite a difficult watch in places, not because it was bad or anything, it's just that the subject matter was disturbing. T'is called The Magdalene Sisters (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01pvb7c/The_Magdalene_Sisters/) and it's on BBC iPlayer just now... :)

Agreed - a powerful film about a disgraceful episode in Irish history. Shown recently on TV to coincide with the Irish state's public apology.

A similar state of affairs existed in England, whereby unmarried mothers (even rape victims) were consigned to mental homes as they were deemed to be 'feeble minded' and not capable of looking after themselves. Some stayed in metal institutions for the rest of their lives. I don't think the UK government has made a public apology for what went on there - they should.

Thing Fish
25-02-2013, 15:38
'Aftershocks'

I have to say this film had me with a few tears in my eyes at various points through it. I am a big softie at heart though...;)

It is an emotional roller-coaster from start to finish. Well worth a watch as long as you can handle subtitles.

Spectral Morn
25-02-2013, 18:54
'Aftershocks'

I have to say this film had me with a few tears in my eyes at various points through it. I am a big softie at heart though...;)

It is an emotional roller-coaster from start to finish. Well worth a watch as long as you can handle subtitles.

Fantastic film. Though I have an issue with the cover art which presents it as a disaster film which it isn't in reality but how it could be marketed is a hard one. I too shed tears.

Regards Neil

brian2957
25-02-2013, 19:14
'Aftershocks'

A very big ' agree ' with this one Dave . A must see film if you like a good greet .

synsei
25-02-2013, 21:26
Is this (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1393746/) the film guys, as there is another with the same title made last year which is about earthquake surivors in Chile?

brian2957
25-02-2013, 21:50
This is the film here Dave

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aftershock-DVD/dp/B0042LM9LQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1361828898&sr=1-1

Edit : Yours seems to be the same one with a different cover.

Thing Fish
25-02-2013, 21:54
It's this one -

http://dgeneratefilms.com/critical-essays/cinematic-earthquakes-thoughts-on-aftershock-and-1428

Oops Brian beat me too it...:doh:

brian2957
25-02-2013, 21:56
All three seem to be the same film with different cover art :scratch:

synsei
25-02-2013, 22:04
The vagaries of international marketing, eh? Thanks chaps :)

pwood
25-02-2013, 22:55
not top of my fav list but watched the remake of Total Recall and expected total pish and i enjoyed it.

Harold and Kumar get the munchies is another.

Spectral Morn
27-02-2013, 21:43
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter thought it would be crap but it actually was a lot of fun and the blu ray re picture quality is very good.

Regards Neil

StanleyB
28-02-2013, 17:03
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
You haven't heard of it? Well you soon will.
The plot:
Hansel and Gretel, having evaded a horrible fate as children in the witch's candy cottage in the woods, are now all grown up, and they have become super-cool kick-ass witch hunters – in a weirdly regressive sibling partnership – roaming the vaguely Germanic countryside armed with steampunky shotguns for the purposes of blasting witches with maximum violence.

Gazjam
28-02-2013, 18:44
Another Earth was good?

Expecting it to be indie "mumblecore" nonsense, but was quite emotional.

MartinT
28-02-2013, 21:36
Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed Another Earth and found the ending very thought provoking.

simon e
01-03-2013, 00:36

What's really shocking is the last magdalene laundry only closed in the mid 1990's and the religious orders involved haven't offered a full apology.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

struth
01-03-2013, 00:45
My daughter bought me a film for Fathers day a few years ago....I dd not fancy it and never watched it...months later when bored to tears I put it on expecting the worst, but to my surprise it was great, and is not one of my guilty pleasures..

The Film: Shooter, starring Mark Wahlberg.......Just goes to show, don't pre judge nowt!

synsei
01-03-2013, 05:00
What's really shocking is the last magdalene laundry only closed in the mid 1990's and the religious orders involved haven't offered a full apology.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I assumed the film was some Dickensian construct initially and it wasn't until the story began to unfold that I properly realised the full implications of it. Truly shocking... :eyebrows:

bobbasrah
01-03-2013, 19:37
I assumed the film was some Dickensian construct initially and it wasn't until the story began to unfold that I properly realised the full implications of it. Truly shocking... :eyebrows:

Something sticks in my head that this was originally a stage play, which caused a bit of a stir....
Irish 'institutions' have a pretty history, but the alternatives were sometimes worse.
Almost a PC mentality at a time when out of sight out of mind was acceptable in polite society...

synsei
01-03-2013, 19:39
And all in the name of religion... :steam:

Canetoad
02-03-2013, 12:53
Religion isn't the cause, the people ministrating it are!

The problem is the miscreants who use religion as justification for their actions.

steviej233
10-04-2013, 12:41
There are a couple that spring to mind:

District 9, hadn't heard much about it wasn't especially well advertised (in my eyes) but the story was different and engaging the film was beautifully shot, the sound was also very good.

Silver Linings Playbook - i thought oh here we go another bloody chick flick that i have to endure, thanks wife. However it was actually very well done, the acting was great and the score was good.

Macca
11-04-2013, 07:56
[QUOTE=steviej233;432724]

District 9, hadn't heard much about it wasn't especially well advertised (in my eyes) but the story was different and engaging the film was beautifully shot, the sound was also very good.

QUOTE]

Yeah - mate of mine who has terrible taste in films lent it to me as a 'must watch' - I was reluctant but with nothing else to do I fired it up - first 10 minutes I thought my prejudices were confirmed but stuck with it and discovered a brilliant film, very cleverly constructed with some wonderful twists and turns.

Covenant
11-04-2013, 11:48
[QUOTE=steviej233;432724]

QUOTE]

Yeah - mate of mine who has terrible taste in films lent it to me as a 'must watch' - I was reluctant but with nothing else to do I fired it up - first 10 minutes I thought my prejudices were confirmed but stuck with it and discovered a brilliant film, very cleverly constructed with some wonderful twists and turns.

Love that film. 'God damn prawn' is a favourite phrase in our house!

steviej233
11-04-2013, 13:14
It is a VERY good Bluray as well, going to have to watch it when i get home now!

pjdowns
30-05-2013, 21:07
Silver Linings Playbook - i thought oh here we go another bloody chick flick that i have to endure, thanks wife. However it was actually very well done, the acting was great and the score was good.

I'd agree totally, great film, defiantly a lot better than I'd expected!

Ali Tait
30-05-2013, 22:01
[QUOTE=Macca;433080]

Love that film. 'God damn prawn' is a favourite phrase in our house!

Aye ours too, and since I lived in South Africa as a kid, I can say it with the right accent!

pjdowns
15-06-2013, 20:09
Keith Lemon: The Film

I was expecting this to film to be poor, but having watched his television series a few times, I thought id give it ago. So, yes, it is a little OTT but that's part of this film and fun.

If you've watched an liked Ali G: In Da House you'll probably like this because its the same slap stick humour.

P.

Oldpinkman
15-06-2013, 20:38
Just watched life of pi after being very dismissive. Very much watched to humour the missus. Difficult to describe but good bluray

MartinT
15-06-2013, 21:42
Django Unchained [blu-ray]

Highly entertaining and humorous film with typical Tarantino elements, especially the homages to Sergio Leono, the soundtrack and the stylised violence. Not quite up there with Inglorious Basterds or Kill Bill, but recommended all the same.

pjdowns
16-06-2013, 11:27
Just watched life of pi after being very dismissive. Very much watched to humour the missus. Difficult to describe but good bluray

I watched this at the cinema with wifey in 3D and we both thought it was an excellent film :)

TBL
19-06-2013, 22:15
Django Unchained [blu-ray]

Highly entertaining and humorous film with typical Tarantino elements, especially the homages to Sergio Leono, the soundtrack and the stylised violence. Not quite up there with Inglorious Basterds or Kill Bill, but recommended all the same.

I agree it's a very good film, but why did you think it would be rubbish?

MartinT
20-06-2013, 17:08
Oops, wrong film thread :o

rusty bearing
20-06-2013, 22:07
For what it's worth I watched 'Argo' last week, mostly cos herself enjoys a movie and Jaffa cakes for relaxation. Really surprised how good a movie it was. Plenty of suspense and edge of the seat moments.

MartinT
20-06-2013, 22:39
Argo was really excellent.

Barry
21-06-2013, 21:35
The Men who Stare at Goats

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21zDBiUJMbL.jpg

Amusing load of tosh - better than I thought it would be (thanks to the excellent line up), but all the more remarkable is the fact that it is based on truth.

Disappointing ending IMO!

pjdowns
30-07-2013, 19:27
The Wife and I watched 'The Impossible' last night and I was pleasantly surprised. Its about a family which were in Thailand when the Tsunami stuck. Not sure how close it was to reality but they gave it a damn good try.

pjdowns
09-08-2013, 20:35
Django: Whilst Id heard positive things from others, I've struggled with some of Quentin Tarantino's since to good old days of Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs but I was mightily impressed with this movie. It was very clever with an almost thought provoking subject, plus an excellent script, all-star cast and the soundtrack is likely to be a must... This film, I will be buying...

Ashmore
11-08-2013, 22:25
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World was a very pleasant surprise. Quirky, witty, dark and occasionally poignant. It's got Keira Knightley in it, but don't let that put you off.

pjdowns
12-08-2013, 19:15
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World was a very pleasant surprise. Quirky, witty, dark and occasionally poignant. It's got Keira Knightley in it, but don't let that put you off.

Really? I watched it and was not that impressed!

synsei
12-08-2013, 19:17
Has anyone been following Top Of The Lake on BBC1? I watched ep5 on iPlayer last night and it gets more and more chilling. Fantastic show ;)

pjdowns
12-08-2013, 19:21
Has anyone been following Top Of The Lake on BBC1? I watched ep5 on iPlayer last night and it gets more and more chilling. Fantastic show ;)

Totally agree with you Dave.. My wife and I have been watching it since the beginning and it's a quality show. Only thing I struggle with is the key actress was President Bartlett's daughter in The West Wing (my favourite show)... Just seems so wrong :lol:

synsei
12-08-2013, 20:06
Totally agree with you Dave.. My wife and I have been watching it since the beginning and it's a quality show. Only thing I struggle with is the key actress was President Bartlett's daughter in The West Wing (my favourite show)... Just seems so wrong :lol:

I've not watched a single episode of West Wing therefore I am immune :)

I despair of her characters lack of sense though, she seems to repeatedly put herself into dangerous situations where she has little back up... :eyebrows:

pjdowns
12-08-2013, 20:16
I've not watched a single episode of West Wing therefore I am immune :)

I despair of her characters lack of sense though, she seems to repeatedly put herself into dangerous situations where she has little back up... :eyebrows:

I agree totally, she seems to go out of her way to out herself in stupid and sometimes dangerous positions!!

loo
12-08-2013, 22:08
Frankenweenie. watched this with my kids and loved it , a refreshing change from the usual kids film rubbish , a real rollercoaster through humour, fear .sadness and joy ,and black and white too. Had my seven year old balling her eyes out ,
another proper kids film from Tim Burton

pjdowns
14-08-2013, 16:04
Frankenweenie. watched this with my kids and loved it , a refreshing change from the usual kids film rubbish , a real rollercoaster through humour, fear .sadness and joy ,and black and white too. Had my seven year old balling her eyes out ,
another proper kids film from Tim Burton

hmm, I'll have to take a look!

audioholic
14-02-2015, 17:21
Horrible Bosses.
Usually find American humour just too banal , but as I had a boss I would have liked to kill found this delightfully refreshing.

pjdowns
03-03-2015, 16:01
Horrible Bosses.
Usually find American humour just too banal , but as I had a boss I would have liked to kill found this delightfully refreshing.

Great film :)

awkwardbydesign
03-03-2015, 19:23
Zombies v Cockneys. No, really! It was hilarious, watch the Richard Briers slow-motion escape sequence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQkYWWJGl6w

fatmarley
14-03-2015, 14:21
Zombies v Cockneys. No, really! It was hilarious, watch the Richard Briers slow-motion escape sequence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQkYWWJGl6w

Ha ha. The slow motion scene is very good.

There are two films I can think of that I expected to be terrible but actually enjoyed them.

When the Matrix first came out I didn't watch it for a long time thinking it was all about special effects with no plot. Yes it was full of special effects but it also had a great story IMO.

Also was surprised that I enjoyed the remake of The Evil Dead.

Audio Al
14-03-2015, 14:26
Kick Ass :D