PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 81: 19.02.2013 - Jeff Beck - Performing this week... Live

Album Club
19-02-2013, 21:03
Courtesy of John (http://theartofsound.net/forum/member.php?u=294) - here is this week's Album Club choice.

Jeff Beck - Performing this week... Live at Ronnie Scotts (2008 - CD, DVD, Blu Ray and Vinyl)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51cqgZi%2BcPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
http://open.spotify.com/album/6mpqW8K3iSpJqyjWBWM7Bl

I do not think we had a live album or a guitar based album before. Their some tough competition in this area (Friday Night In San Francisco and Strunz and Farah live to name two)
When I was younger I was into a lot of Shred players people like Vai. MacAlpine, Yngwie and Satraini. I was blown away by the speed and technical ability practising hours to get those types of chops. As I grew older my taste started to mature I got into people like Hendrix and Django. I discovered just how good Jeff was when I heard Guitar Shop, this was an era of a lot of guitar based albums and it stood out from the crowd.
My favourite album is Performing this week, it’s a rather intimate performance with Jeff surrounding himself with some amazing musicians. There is space for everyone to shine and has many highlights. Here are some my favourite clips from the performance.
VC02wGj5gPw
Some wonderful bass playing from Tal
drAv2FoYji8
Just some awesome playing
hHHY3eRUMsM
I love the way Jeff and Tal interplay with each other
howz7gVecjE
Just a beautiful piece of music Jeff in total command of his guitar

The Grand Wazoo
20-02-2013, 08:49
Nice choice John.
'Guitar Shop' is the album that made me sit up & reassess Jeff Beck, so I know what you mean about that one. I've heard this a few times and always enjoyed it, so maybe it's time to get myself a copy.
I'll be back!

synsei
20-02-2013, 09:06
Oh dear, I have not enjoyed the previous two Album Club selections and I fear I am heading for another nil pointer. I am sorry guys as I know Jeff Beck is a bit of a legend to some of you but this is truly awful. I think I made it to track four which, luckily for me, coincided with us reaching the ground floor. Man was a glad to get out of that lift. I am so sorry John... :(

Tim
20-02-2013, 10:06
Good choice John and if somebody said to me "Choose just one Jeff Beck album to have in your collection?" . . . well this would be it. I am familiar with it, as I have it, but I will give it another listen before voting.

I have seen Jeff a few times, but the last time I saw him (3 years ago I think) he was dreadful and I nearly walked out early. I can count the number of gigs I have done that on one hand!

Tim
20-02-2013, 17:04
I'm going with 8/10 for this one. I don't listen to it often, but I still like it as a fine example of Jeff's guitar style. Clearly not too everyone's taste, but I would rather listen to Jeff these days over Satriani or Vai, who I have also seen live.

:)

John
20-02-2013, 18:35
I understand why people might not like this, its very guitar based and that will not be to everyone taste. Jeff is a guitarist guitar player and for me its easy to hear why due to phrasing and feel he has for the instrument. Its my favourite guitar based album to which I have many. Of course I will give it a 10
I must admit I do have a habit of picking albums that divide opinion but for me that's a good thing

John
20-02-2013, 18:38
Tim totally get where you coming from around Vai and Satriani There was a time I was a big fan of both

John
20-02-2013, 18:40
Chris sounds like we both reappraised Jeff around the same time

Bazil
20-02-2013, 20:36
I shall give it 100% of a chance but I do not like geetarists givin' it the max.
Haven't heard it yet so I'll be happy to be suprised.. maybe.

Clothears
23-02-2013, 11:18
I've owned this CD for a while now and have played it quite a lot over the years. I've given it a 7/10 as I consider it a good album but not great. Personally I prefer his earlier album from 1999 Who Else!.

As someone who has seen both Vai and Satriani live, give me Jeff Beck any day. However, having said that give me Matt Schofield over Jeff Beck any day of the week.

John
23-02-2013, 11:45
I like Matt. He plays with a lot of passion live and I guess one of those artist that is better live than on record
The great thing about preferences is they are so personal

The Grand Wazoo
28-02-2013, 00:26
My copy arrived the other day and I've been playing it quite a bit.
As I said earlier, 'Guitar Shop' made me sit up and listen to Beck once again because I was bored by most of what he did in the sort of middle period of his career. Since that album, I've enjoyed almost everything he's done and this one is maybe the best summary of his later career.
I've always admired guitarists who can make good use of subtlety and space within their playing and Jeff does that with some style. What a great album - 9/10 from me.

The Grand Wazoo
01-03-2013, 20:58
I've just played this album again this evening at an.....errr.....let's say 'enthusiastic volume level'.
Wow!!!!

John
01-03-2013, 22:36
I understand where you coming from Chris The recording has lots of dynamics! You get a real sense of being their
Looking at the results this seems to be one of those albums that is either love or hate.

MartinT
01-03-2013, 23:30
I like Jeff Beck's style very much. Less about guitar heroics and more about the sound he gets from it. I love his interplay with Tal and she's always good to watch.

Guitar Shop was my first Beck album, but my favourite is You Had it Coming. 9/10.

John
02-03-2013, 06:33
If you listen closely to A Day in the Life you can hear how Tal underlines the melody, its just beautiful

Marco
22-03-2013, 21:12
Love it, John - it's a 9! I love live albums, as there's always a unique 'feel' to them: a rawness and honestly, which instantly appeals to me.

However, my favourite album of Beck's is the legendary 'Truth', which I have as an original release on vinyl. From that album, here's 'Let me Love you Baby' - sheer funky, 'down 'n' dirty' raunchy blues:

vlmC9fitIxU

:guitar: :smoking: :guitar: :smoking:

For some reason that track also reminds me of Free's 'Ride a Pony' (another awesome piece of music):

EDHNZuAnBoU

Can you see where I'm coming from?

Marco.

Tim
22-03-2013, 22:14
I love live albums, as there's always a unique 'feel' to them: a rawness and honestly, which instantly appeals to me.
. . . hear, hear.

:cool:

RichB
23-03-2013, 00:20
Bloody hell... Have I got some catching up to do with album club.

Well what a nice album to get stuck into... I thoroughly enjoyed this even if the genre can wear me out after a while. I also love a good live album and this one does it well. Nicely recorded, band is as tight as a ducks arse, and that bass player lass... Well as a bass noodler myself its hats off to her talent. I'd never heard of her before and I'm now well and truly an admirer.

Decent choice John.

pjdowns
09-09-2013, 22:19
Not a great fan of this, it's ok but not something I would choose to listen to!