PDA

View Full Version : Sub £1000 speakers options?

HighFidelityGuy
27-03-2009, 10:32
Hi,

I'm hoping to buy some new floorstanders in the next couple of months so I'm trying to get an idea of what's in my price range.

I don't really want to pay more than £1000, they must be good at reproducing all types of music as I have a wide taste in music. They will also be used as the front channels in a 5.1 system so they need to be good at movies too. I'll also be needing a centre speakers soon, so whichever main speakers I choose will need to have a matching centre available.

I'll be powering them off an Arcam AVR-300 amp which is setup in bi-amp mode. So I have about 200W per channel on tap.

So far I've listened to the B&W 684 and 683 and the Monitor Audio RS8 and out of those I preferred the RS8's.

What other floorstanders in this price range are worth an audition?

Thanks,

David. :)

Ali Tait
27-03-2009, 12:31
Would you consider making a kit or a DIY design? If you did so you could build a speaker for a few hundred quid that would equal or better commercial designs costing thousands.

HighFidelityGuy
27-03-2009, 13:35
Hi,

That is something that I considered but in the end I decided not to go that route as whenever I take on any bigger projects like that I never seem to finish them due to lack of spare time and when it comes to speakers I really like to listen to them before I take the plunge and buy them. I'll more than likely keep them from 5 years + so I need to be completely certain I'm happy with their sound.

If you know of any designs that are super simple and quick to build and would look and sound as good as the RS8's (http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/silver-rs/rs8/specification) then I would consider it again but it would have to be a ready made kit as I don't have the woodworking tools or skills necessary to fabricate anything.

Thanks.

Ali Tait
27-03-2009, 14:07
World-Designs do some truly excellent kit speakers,designed by Peter Comeau,who did work for Harbeth,Spendor etc.I've heard a pair recently and they were superb.Wilmslow also do a range of kits,though I haven't heard any.IPL Acoustics do some well thought of designs too.No idea what RS8's sound like so couldn't tell you which of the above would suit most.They all come with flat-pack cabinets,so dead easy to put together.

Marco
27-03-2009, 15:36
Hi David,

Do they need to be brand new or would you consider good quality second-hand? Just trying to give you the best bang for you buck! :)

Also, are stand-mount speakers completely out of the question? In my experience, good floorstanders don't really happen under £2k new. Below that, generally, you get more musical results from stand-mounts using higher quality drivers in small well-braced cabinets; where the manufacturer's budget hasn't been spent on producing a big box and a complicated crossover, with the limitations this entails.

Marco.

John
27-03-2009, 16:04
If you interested I am selling my Wharfedale Opus 3 in the near future they are great speakers and sure we can come to some mutally good agreement

HighFidelityGuy
27-03-2009, 16:17
I would consider 2nd hand and stand-mounters. I just usually prefer the look of floorstanders and the extra bottom end they often have.

When it comes to 2nd hand, I would need to be able to still get hold of the matching centre speaker and preferably all in a light oak/maple colour, maybe cherry if it's quite light.

Thanks for the offer John, I like the look of those. What finish are yours?

http://www.superfi.co.uk/images/opus-finishes-468x135.jpg

HighFidelityGuy
27-03-2009, 16:27
Holy carp I've just noticed in the brochure that those Opus 3's have dual 10" bass drivers! That should satisfy my love of the bass. :eyebrows:

HighFidelityGuy
27-03-2009, 18:23
Forget that, I found a picture in the forum and can see they are cherry. I'm still interested as long as I could find a matching centre speaker somewhere. I'll send you a PM.

John
27-03-2009, 18:27
Its more maple but a slightly tanned version and they kick out great bass but to get the best out the drivers you need an amp with plenty of grip I use the SAC KT88 Glowmaster and the bass is pretty good and believe me i like to feel bass too but they are blood heavy

HighFidelityGuy
27-03-2009, 19:04
Thanks for the details and the PM.
I read a couple of reviews HERE (http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/wharfedale/opus-3/PRD_339914_1594crx.aspx), one of which I have a sneaky suspicion was written by you. :) From what's said there they sound right up my street.

John
27-03-2009, 19:22
Yes confess to that but not related to the sale

break-3
27-03-2009, 19:45
I've owned Dali Ikon 6s and B&W 705s - both good options well within your price range, although the B&Ws needed a lot of volume before they really sang.

Magna Audio
28-03-2009, 15:36
If you are worried about looks then I suppose some medium to big Tannoy's are out then...
How about a pair of DMT 12" - they look modern enough if you like grey.

Mike
28-03-2009, 16:16
My Castle Inversion 100's might be for sale quite soon. ;)

HighFidelityGuy
15-04-2009, 15:58
Thanks for your help everyone. I'm now the proud owner of Johns Opus 3's so I don't need any new speakers any more. :)

daveyboy
21-04-2009, 00:08
i am not sure how many people will agree but I would recommend MA RS6's and think within the sub 1000.00 price they are difficult to better. Now admittedly I have not listened to the 684's but they certainly stand up very well in their own right to the whole spectrum of music genres. They will definitely be my next upgrade.