PDA

View Full Version : Big power amp options?

HighFidelityGuy
26-03-2009, 16:19
Hi,

I'm looking for a good quality power amp that can produce 500-1000W RMS into 8 ohms. This will be for driving a sub but I don't want a panel amp, I want it to be separate to sit on my rack. It must be mono or capable of bridging into mono. It must be silver as well so it matches my other amp. My budget is £350 or less, so this may be a problem. :doh:

So far I've only found PA amps in this range which is fine with me but I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas or recommendations?

My current top choice is the Crown XTi 1000 (http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/xti.htm) which I can get for £350 but it's meant to retail at £700+ so it's a great deal.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

DSJR
26-03-2009, 18:17
Many current pro amps are really good for general duties, even if they lack the "fantastic in one area and lousy everywhere else" character of many top end HiFi designs.....

Being a very happy owner of vintage Crown amps, I'd say to go for it for your woofer, as the price should be recoverable if it doesn't suit you. Current Crowns are Chinese made apparently, so that would account for the lower cost.

Another make which may be beyond your budget is MC2, which apparently makes really good audiophile grade sound and is wonderful value (pro's won't pay foo prices......).

Good Luck. the only other Crowns I know about for domestic use are much lower powered (a good D150A II or bridged D60's like mine are well under 100W each and the DC300A's at 150W will need substantial restoration I've read), although the vintage K2 may do well......

HighFidelityGuy
26-03-2009, 21:08
Oops, I notice my thread was moved. :doh:

Thanks for the info DSJR, I like the sound of the MC2 gear but I think it's a bit expensive and blue looking for my requirements. I'll definitely make a not of the brand for future reference though. They would be perfect for a very high quality PA setup where you wouldn't care what colour they were.

I was recommended Crown gear a few years ago so they were one of the first brands I looked at along with Yamaha and Mackie. I've used both the later makes before and found them to be quite good but the Crown XTi fitted all of my requirements unlike the others.

The Crown also has some nice DSP features that sound handy.

So the Crown is still top of the list. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

hifi_dave
01-04-2009, 20:22
I'd go with the Crown - they sound good and are reliable. I can't believe how reasonably priced they are but then again I am immersed in high priced hi-fi.:)

HighFidelityGuy
15-04-2009, 15:56
Thanks for all your help guys. The seller that had the great price on this has unfortunately put their price up recently and I've just bought some new speakers that are much bigger than I was originally intending, so getting a new sub is now more expensive and less of a requirement, so I've decided to shelve my plans for now.