PDA

View Full Version : Album Club Week 80: 12.02.2013 - Oleta Adams - Circle of One (1990)

Audio Al
12-02-2013, 13:21
My album of the week choice is

Oleta Adams - Circle of One (Fontana 1990)

http://www.recordsale.de/cdpix/o/oleta_adams-circle_of_one(1).jpg
spotify:album:0AXqyNdhstfyZyVjjJMszO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_One

Track one , Rhythm of Life

Track Two , Get Here

Track Three , Circle of One

Track Four, You've Got to Give Me Room

Track Five , I"ve Got To Sing My Song

Track Six , I've Got A Right

Track Seven , Will We Ever Learn

Track Eight , Everything Must Change

I will let you all listen without passing any comment myself as I would not like to influence your opinion

All I will say is PLEASE make time to sit and listen uninterrupted

I will post my comments in a separate post after my week on Album Club end
ENJOY :)

MartinT
12-02-2013, 18:08
Thanks, Al. I don't have it so I'm listening right now on Spotify.

webby
12-02-2013, 19:04
I'm sure I've got this album somewhere. Maybe it's just the Rhythm of Life single I have.

It's worth mentioning that a lot of the musicians on this album are the same as those that played on Tears For Fears' The Seeds of Love, including the great Pino Palladino.

Alex_UK
12-02-2013, 19:46
It's worth mentioning that a lot of the musicians on this album are the same as those that played on Tears For Fears' The Seeds of Love, including the great Pino Palladino.

Indeed -Oleta Adams features heavily on that album which was how she got her deal with Fontana and Roland Orzabal produced this - her first proper album. You can definitely spot the musical similarities.

The Grand Wazoo
13-02-2013, 00:19
No sorry, it's not for me this one - I tried, I promise!
I can't find anything to identify with whatsoever. I got as far as track 5 and could stand no more of it. Someone else had better vote & pronto, 'cos it looks bad at the moment (I'm the only voter, so it's my fault!)

synsei
13-02-2013, 00:37
I will listen to this tomorrow when I can play it at a level to do it justice ;)

MartinT
13-02-2013, 05:34
Despite my love of female vocalists, I found this to be inconsistent and not greatly holding my attention. I did listen all the way through as requested but I'm not in a great hurry to play it again. Oleta reminds me of elements of many other singers, perhaps her true character didn't really come through for me. Sorry!

synsei
13-02-2013, 05:38
Good morning Martin. Gonna give this a go myself in a wee while ;)

John
13-02-2013, 06:00
Not really my thing on the same lines with Chris Sorry just lost interest

synsei
13-02-2013, 07:11
I've had a listen to this and I'm not keen if I'm honest. The best song on here is track 2 which I enjoyed, but that was about it really. Soz Al :eyebrows:

MartinT
13-02-2013, 07:45
Good morning Martin.

Mornin' Dave. Early riser too?

synsei
13-02-2013, 07:48
Yeah, had a really traumatic day yesterday and couldn't sleep :eyebrows:

MartinT
13-02-2013, 07:50
Oh, sorry to hear that Dave. Will today be less so?

kenworthy100
13-02-2013, 07:58
Always enjoyed this album especially tracks 1&2, it reminds me of happier times which is sometimes what I need.

synsei
13-02-2013, 08:27
Oh, sorry to hear that Dave. Will today be less so?

I bloody well hope so or I am emigrating to the moon... :lol:

Barry
13-02-2013, 16:56
Courtesy of YouTube I listened to all the tracks. A powerful voice with plenty of soul and with a great production, I should have liked this more than I did.

As commented by others, she didn't really hold my attention. Don't know why, as I enjoy the singing of both Roberta Flack and Randy Crawford. Out of curiosity I listened to Oleta Adams' version of "Many Rivers To Cross" - sorry, I prefered both Joe Cocker's and Jimmy Cliff's versions.

Good suggestion Al, but Oleta didn't quite do it for me. (A 'middling' "It's OK but not great" from me - Sorry)

Audioman
13-02-2013, 17:23
Bland pseudo soul music with a production that puts an ear wearing sheen over the sound. Those drums are so 80's !!! Good voice that for some reason does nothing for me on this recording. I remember the hit single from this as inoffensive but forgettable at the time. Last throws of bland 1980's product. I would have given it 3 or 4 out of 10. Pino Palladino ? -could have been Joe Bloggs on bass as far as I could tell.

Paul.

Bazil
13-02-2013, 22:46
No sorry, it's not for me this one - I tried, I promise!
I can't find anything to identify with whatsoever. I got as far as track 5 and could stand no more of it. Someone else had better vote & pronto, 'cos it looks bad at the moment (I'm the only voter, so it's my fault!)

Like Chris said, I'm not being lazy just didn't want to repeat what has already been posted.

synsei
13-02-2013, 23:38
I might have enjoyed it a little more if not for the excessive reverb behind Oleta's voice. The poor woman sounds as if she did the entire recording session in a pub toilet :eyebrows: