PDA

View Full Version : Time travel cassette deck

Alex Nikitin
23-03-2009, 23:01
I've added a rather interesting tape deck to my growing collection - Goodmans SCD-100, in "as new" condition - literally, in the original box and bag, with leads (DIN :doh: ), manual, sale invoice from Comet in Belfast for £104-95, dated 29/04/75 and some newspaper clippings with prices for hi-fi stuff in Comet from that time. Quite impressive! However the most interesting thing is that this deck is actually made by Nakamichi in Japan and it is a re-badged for Goodmans Nak 500 Dual-Tracer, with excellent mechanics, good sound and crystalloy "focused gap" head.

Alex

Spectral Morn
23-03-2009, 23:16
I remember Comet in Belfast....WOW. Looks nice flat bed recorder....I was 10 in 1975. So my memory is from much later on.

I think my Dad bought an Akai full size system (Stack) from them.

There where quite a few good hi-fi shops in Belfast then and a bit later on. Audio Times (part of Hi-Fi Markets), Radio Rentals (did Luxman, Cambridge audio,Avance etc). Manchester and midland (Quad, Linn), Zeus Audio ( anything that was odd and not Linn or Naim) and Electronic Services (Aiwa etc). How the times have changed. There is only one now, and they are more about TVs and wiring up your house.....when I think about it they are not a hi-fi shop...just as Richer Sounds isn't either......:(:(:(:( So there are none if we are being strict about it and AV is your main business as theirs is.

Regards D S D l

Beechwoods
23-03-2009, 23:18
Blimey, that's a nice find. You're a jammy so-and-so!

There's an interesting write up about the Nak 500 here: http://www.nakamichi-schenk.nl/SpecialNaks_content/Nak500E.htm

I like this bit:

Rare: A Nakamichi 500 dating from 1974 is rarely seen after over 30 years. But still the machines pop up every now and then as they are almost indestructible examples of ancient recorders.

Do post some pics of it unboxed when you get the chance. I'd love to hear how it sounds. I guess it may need new belts after all this time, and possibly even new caps, despite it's time-capsule provenance...

PS. I was 2 :)

Spectral Morn
23-03-2009, 23:32
Nice Link Nick....Whats the sites home page ?

Regards D S D L

Beechwoods
24-03-2009, 00:07
Try this, Neil: http://www.nakamichi-schenk.nl/

Stratmangler
24-03-2009, 01:10
1975 - good year for music IIRC. Pink Floyd released "Wish You Were Here" (still got my battered 1st edition release), Queen hit No 1 with "Bohemian Rhapsody", Kraftwerk had "Autobahn" out, KC had "That's The Way", Labelle "Lady Marmalade". The Bee Gees had released "Jive Talkin'".

Long ago heady days - glad I was alive when this stuff came out as it meant something then - most everything in the charts since has seemed to be a bit of a let down.

Call me an old git, 'cos "they don't write 'em like they used to !".

Chris:)

Alex Nikitin
24-03-2009, 01:14
Call me an old git, 'cos "they don't write 'em like they used to !".

Chris:)

What's more, they don't record 'em like they used to, either!

Alex

Marco
24-03-2009, 05:30
Fantastic, Alex! VU meters and slide controls and fings... Yummy :)

Can we see it without its kegs on (nice close-up piccy please)? :smoking:

Marco.

Dave Cawley
24-03-2009, 07:25
Alex may have it on the Sound Hi Fi stand at the show this weekend? Next to my 3 arm Micro Seiki DQX-1000 ?? :kiss:

:bag:

Dave

Stratmangler
24-03-2009, 21:56
What's more, they don't record 'em like they used to, either!

Alex

Sadly that is very, very true.

Chris:(

narabdela
22-10-2017, 12:48
Just came across this old thread via Google while doing some research.

I also bought my SCD-100 from Comet in 1975! (I think the branch was in Renfrew iirc). 'Twas a thing of beauty and built like the proverbial brick ****house.

Sadly long gone now.

topoxforddoc
23-10-2017, 07:51
Alex
Looks lovely. Great addition to your collection. Hope all is well after your move up north from Ruislip. Really good to hear from you, as I know that your new job means that you have no time to fettle tape decks. My Dragon with the ANT4066 mods still sounds fabulous.
Best wishes
Charlie