PDA

View Full Version : HDMI sound quality

Covenant
05-02-2013, 09:31
Has any study been done on the comparative quality of HDMI versus conventional (RCA) cabling?

johnwhit
05-02-2013, 09:44
Hi Jerry,

From what I've read there doesn't seem to be a great deal of difference. If I ever go down the Blu Ray route I'm planning to buy a player with analogue output and built in decoder and use RCA to a Yamaha DSP-E800 external decoder input to make use of the new DD/DTS sound encoding.

ATB,

John

johnwhit
05-02-2013, 10:52
I just found one of the articles I was looking at before Christmas, Panasonic BDT500 review, I was considering buying one:

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Panasonic-DMP-BDT500-3D-Blu-ray-Player-Review_311/Review.html

Subjective Audio Tests

"The audio performance of the BDT500 over HDMI sounded identical to both the BDT320 and the BDT220, which is to be expected. Since the main reason for buying the BDT500 is to take advantage of the 7.1-channel analogue outputs, if you plan on just using HDMI then you might as well go for one of the cheaper models. Of course the BDT500 performed extremely well over HDMI, seamlessly sending a number of different audio formats including Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, to a suitably capable amplifier. There were also no problems using the onboard decoding of the BDT500, allowing it to send these same soundtracks as PCM to any amplifier that couldn't do the decoding internally. The BDT500 also had no problems sending the audio from CDs and DVDs, either as bitstream via the optical out or via the HDMI output as bitstream or HDMI.

Where the BDT500 really differs from its cheaper siblings is the inclusion of 7.1-channel analogue outputs. This obviously gives those without HDMI capable receivers a chance to enjoy the lossless audio delivered by Blu-rays. The BDT500 uses four 192kHz/32-bit DACs and whilst they aren't as high quality as those found on audiophile players like Oppo’s BDP-95 or Cambridge Audio’s 751BD, it is more than half their price. So whilst you can’t expect the warmer performance and greater transparency and accuracy found on the more expensive players, it certainly provides a cost effective alternative to those looking for a player with 7.1-channel analogue outputs. The audio over these outputs certainly sounded good, with clear dialogue, deep bass and an immersive surround field but in A/B comparisons with PCM over HDMI, we could discern no noticeable difference in sound quality".

John

hoopsontoast
05-02-2013, 11:53
Surely the difference will be the DAC in the BDP with the Analogue Outputs vs the DAC/Processor in the AVR with HDMI?

johnwhit
05-02-2013, 12:15
Surely the difference will be the DAC in the BDP with the Analogue Outputs vs the DAC/Processor in the AVR with HDMI?

Yes true, but there again is there an advantage with the HDMI with an AVR that has jitter correction, over analogue inputs through the same AVR? I was considering analogue purely to save me buying an AVR with HDMI as I'm quite content with the Yamaha.

John

Covenant
05-02-2013, 12:44
Well I have just collected my Yamaha AV amp as it's been repaired and I thought before getting stuck into rewiring it to my 7.1 system I would try it connected to my computer using RCA's. It's not a proper test as it's a different system but I would like to see how it sounds compared to a T-amp.
I shall let you know in a few hours!

hoopsontoast
05-02-2013, 12:54
Yes true, but there again is there an advantage with the HDMI with an AVR that has jitter correction, over analogue inputs through the same AVR? I was considering analogue purely to save me buying an AVR with HDMI as I'm quite content with the Yamaha.

John

No idea, I know nothing about jitter.
That would be the main reason IMO, you can get a hell of a lot of amp for not much money if you go legacy (Pre-HDMI).

johnwhit
05-02-2013, 14:22
Very true.

johnwhit
05-02-2013, 14:25
Well I have just collected my Yamaha AV amp as it's been repaired and I thought before getting stuck into rewiring it to my 7.1 system I would try it connected to my computer using RCA's. It's not a proper test as it's a different system but I would like to see how it sounds compared to a T-amp.
I shall let you know in a few hours!

Hope it's working OK, was it the Richersounds repair? Would you mind me asking, how much did they charge? Purely for future reference if I ever need a repair to mine.

ATB,

John

Covenant
05-02-2013, 14:27
The sound quality of my AV amp in Pure Direct mode is far better that my little T-amp but so it should as it cost about £900. Just to be clear-I am using flac files on the computer to a cheap Sabre dac and then to the Yamaha AV amp/ Mission speakers.
It sounds so good I am not in a hurry to put it back in the AV system and has got me wondering if my Quad 12L's are good enough for the amp.

Covenant
05-02-2013, 14:31
Hope it's working OK, was it the Richersounds repair? Would you mind me asking, how much did they charge? Purely for future reference if I ever need a repair to mine.

ATB,

John

Hi John,
Yes Richersounds in Liverpool accepted it but sent it on to their main repair place. They charged £40 and got it back in 3 working days. It was only a capacitor so an easy repair.
I would certainly use them again for a repair.

johnwhit
05-02-2013, 15:34
Thanks Jerry, really good to know as they're local'ish to me. £40 sounds reasonable although I did pick up a spare Yamaha DSP-E800 with very little use for:stalks: £26 just before Christmas, keeping it as a spare after deciding it's all I ever really need;)

John

Covenant
05-02-2013, 20:31
I am really puzzled why the Yamaha sounds so good connected to the computer but is just ok in AV duties.
It could be:
Sabre dac is much better than it's absurd price led me to believe
Quad speakers look nice but are not that good
Chord Carnival silver plus speaker cable does not cut the mustard.
I think I will swap the speakers next-try the Quads on the computer system

stevekr
11-03-2013, 17:30
HDMI has a higher bandwidth than s/pdif.

TimJ
19-02-2014, 16:48
dont know if this is relevant!? but as for sound quality from hdmi - i find its more the item sending the signal than the lead. Best way for me to explain is my sky HD
i find the audio poor through hdmi onto my amp, but if i get my amp to use the digital lead (mark grant hd) the sound is far better & more open/crisp. hope that has helped in some way!?
my findings with hdmi is the more you pay, the nicer it looks & longer it will probably last as it is manufactured better, but they all carry a digital signal so as long as the zero's & 1's get from one end to the other the sound (in my opinion) will not differ * no debates against me please this is just my view!