PDA

View Full Version : "Japan 1st Pressing, Black Triangle, 32XD, etc"

Audiocom AV
22-03-2009, 11:02
Hello All

In my experience of collecting a back catalogue of CD's over the last 12-18 months I have found that the quality of CD pressings can vary considerably. The Japan 1st pressings are superior to all, particularly the 'Black Triangle' label, 32XD, 32VD, 35DP, etc. An example of this is the 'Genesis' album, 'A Trick of the Tale'. The Japan 1st pressing, 32VD-1032 is superior to any other pressing, remaster I have listened to and by quite a wide margin. Compare the 32VD disc to the recent 2-disc release on the Rhino label, R2 128700, and it sounds like a bad joke.

Mark /Audiocom

snapper
22-03-2009, 11:42
Hi Mark

Re.Toshiba Black Triangle.

I would have to agree that these are possibly the best sounding,but there were later releases of Genesis albums starting with the code VJCP,that used the same mastering.

Foxtrot and Selling England are superior than the original vinyl releases IMHO.

Pink Floyds DSOTM on the Black Triangle is another great transfer as is the 35DP4 2 track version of Wish You Were Here.The last sealed copy I saw went for £3,758.08.:eek:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PINK-FLOYD-Japan-CD-35DP-4-Wish-You-Were-Here-SEALED_W0QQitemZ270334971477QQihZ017QQcategoryZ307 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you fancy hearing it,I'm sure something could be arranged.:smoking:

Audiocom AV
22-03-2009, 11:53
Hi Mark

Re.Toshiba Black Triangle.

I would have to agree that these are possibly the best sounding,but there were later releases of Genesis albums starting with the code VJCP,that used the same mastering.

Foxtrot and Selling England are superior than the original vinyl releases IMHO.

Pink Floyds DSOTM on the Black Triangle is another great transfer as is the 35DP4 2 track version of Wish You Were Here.The last sealed copy I saw went for £3,758.08.:eek:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PINK-FLOYD-Japan-CD-35DP-4-Wish-You-Were-Here-SEALED_W0QQitemZ270334971477QQihZ017QQcategoryZ307 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hi,

Yes, the VJCP codes also sound very good, I have not directly compared these to the 35DP, 32XD, etc.

I have also found that recent recordings pressed in Japan are better sounding than the EU, USA equivalents. I purchased 3 copies of the lastest 'Tori Amos - American Doll Posse'; EU, USA & Japan, the EU & US pressed CD's sound compressed compare to the Japanese version.

I watched that auction of Ebay for ‘Pink Floyd – Wish You Were Here’, that CD will probably never see the light of day.

Mark /Audiocom

Beechwoods
22-03-2009, 13:55
:lol: When I saw the title I was ready to wax lyrical about the DSOTM Toshiba Black Triangle release, and you guys have all beaten me to it. If you ever tire of fondling your copy David, let me know :eyebrows: ;)

I've not personally had the pleasure of hearing any of these 'signature' pressings on a decent system, but I have had a play with some fo them and the weight of the vinyl, quality of the gatefolds, labels and so on a second to none. As posted elsewhere I'm looking for a good source of Japanese vintage vinyl. I'd like to get the first 4 or 5 Floyd LPs on the EMI-Toshiba or Odeon pressings. While I have umpteen CD copies of Floyd's albums, plus 8-tracks, I've not got any of their stuff on vinyl (having only recently discovered how good vinyl could sound in my system) and I figured a set of the 3rd Pressing EMI-Toshiba LP's might be the way to go. Price permitting.

snapper
22-03-2009, 14:58
I watched that auction of Ebay for ‘Pink Floyd – Wish You Were Here’, that CD will probably never see the light of day.

Mark /Audiocom

Could you imagine the look on the owners face if he opened it and found an empty jewel case.

:lolsign:

:lol: When I saw the title I was ready to wax lyrical about the DSOTM Toshiba Black Triangle release, and you guys have all beaten me to it. If you ever tire of fondling your copy David, let me know :eyebrows: ;)

It was the seedee version I was referring to Beechy.

I'd like to get the first 4 or 5 Floyd LPs on the EMI-Toshiba or Odeon pressings.Price permitting.

That would be (so) nice.

IME most UK PF releases on vinyl are fine,even those on the Fame label.

The worst I've heard was the 30th Anniversary edition of DSOTM.