PDA

View Full Version : Aren't we lucky?

julesd68
15-01-2013, 11:01
On another thread I was complaining about the turgid sound quality of a Coldplay cd :(

Today, just to remind myself about what great sound quality is like, I put on a newly acquired copy of Dvorak's Cello Concerto with Maurice Gendron and Bernard Haitink. It's a Philips recording from 1968. A truly life-affirming experience! I'm reminded that my hi-fi can make well-recorded music like this sound immortal. Massive dynamic range, air & space in the music, soaring, intensely lyrical cello playing.

Just heavenly ...:harp:

MartinT
14-04-2013, 22:49
A lot of classical recordings show up rock recordings as being somewhat limited. However, Coldplay can't even offer feeble competition. I've complained before about their dire recordings. Shite doesn't begin to cover it.

Marco
14-04-2013, 22:55
How about 'pishanto'? That's my new word for this month! :D

Marco.

Andrei
17-04-2013, 00:05
Today, just to remind myself about what great sound quality is like, I put on a newly acquired copy of Dvorak's Cello Concerto with Maurice Gendron and Bernard Haitink. It's a Philips recording from 1968. A truly life-affirming experience! I'm reminded that my hi-fi can make well-recorded music like this sound immortal. Massive dynamic range, air & space in the music, soaring, intensely lyrical cello playing.

I have several recordings of this but not with Maurice Gordon. My two preferred recordings (both LP) are with Rostropovitch and Guilini in one and Rostropovitch and Karajan on the other. Ros had a great instrument. Now I suppose I have to find the Gendron recording. Do you know if it is better on CD or LP?

On a different point: I note the date 1968. This reminds me of an audiophile who said that his favourite music was Symphonic music recorded in the 1960s - all on LP obviously. The reason he gave is that this was a time of great optimism. European nations had recovered from WWII and orchestras were playing with great energy.

Cheers, Andrei

MartinT
17-04-2013, 06:24
I prefer Pierre Fournier for the Dvorak.