PDA

View Full Version : How can I rescue these speakers?

Covenant
08-03-2009, 18:45
Many years ago I gave my father in law my hi-fi as a thank you for helping me build our house. Anyway today I popped in to see him and he was in his workshop which is filled with power tools, wood and all kinds of bits and pieces. As I was talking I saw my speakers beneath six lengths of 4x2 wth a few sheets of ply on top. Now we are not talking hi end stuff here-a pair of IMF Super Compacts if I remember correctly. I could see they were chipped and scuffed a bit but the fabric on the front was undamaged.
I dont need them but it is a waste for them to end up like this. I would like to clean them up and give them away to someone starting in hifi.
How can I get them back or even ask about them?

aquapiranha
08-03-2009, 21:04
Just ask im! I have a pair of super compacts here. they suffered from foam rot especially on the mid drivers which are now very very hard to find ( I know, I tried) but otherwise they give a decent sound. Let me know if you would like any info.

Beechwoods
08-03-2009, 21:13
"I noticed the other day that you're not using the speakers I gave you back when we finished the house. Is there any chance I could have them back, even if they need a bit of work to get them working again..."

:) Go for it, I know these situations are sometimes a little embarrassing, but if he lets you into his workshop you must get on pretty well!

Covenant
09-03-2009, 07:51
I may take the cowards way out and get my wife to speak to him. She is much more tactful than me anyway......

aquapiranha
09-03-2009, 08:59
N1. Btw, off topic what tripath amp are you using? PM if you wish to stay on topic, sorry!

DSJR
09-03-2009, 09:26
Super Compacts have an unfashionable recessed mid when compared to modern squeak boxes - I LOVED them and really think they should be restored as much as possible.

People like Wembley Loudspeakers may be able to re-foam the mid unit surround and if the cabs are restorable, I'd try to do it.

IMF's of this period need a leaner toned amp with plenty of damping factor - none of those vintage capacitor coupled jobbies here I'm afraid. Something with some power, like the cheaper pro amps about (Alesis?) would be fine.

PLEASE try to get these old speakers economically restored. Such a shame to find they've been buried and all but forgotten. What's he using today???????

Covenant
09-03-2009, 12:29
N1. Btw, off topic what tripath amp are you using? PM if you wish to stay on topic, sorry!

Now there is a question!.
It started life as a trends TA 101. I bought the Audiomagus tweak kit 2 and without any previous experience attempted to fit it. Needless to say I completly buggered it. I posted on Wigwam and Puffin offered to look at it. He told me the chip was dead so replaced the circuit board and chip with one he had, fitting the Audiomagus capacitors, massive RCA connectors and other gubbins. So there is just about nothing left of the T amp except the case.
The amp sounds really good to me but my next upgrade will be to a power amp in order to see how good the 7520 is as a pre.
I have put away my soldering iron for now but still look in on the DIY threads....

Covenant
09-03-2009, 12:48
Super Compacts have an unfashionable recessed mid when compared to modern squeak boxes - I LOVED them and really think they should be restored as much as possible.

People like Wembley Loudspeakers may be able to re-foam the mid unit surround and if the cabs are restorable, I'd try to do it.

IMF's of this period need a leaner toned amp with plenty of damping factor - none of those vintage capacitor coupled jobbies here I'm afraid. Something with some power, like the cheaper pro amps about (Alesis?) would be fine.

PLEASE try to get these old speakers economically restored. Such a shame to find they've been buried and all but forgotten. What's he using today???????

I loved them to Dave, I would really like to compare them to my Vandies.
I dont think he is using anything now-too busy playing his trumpet in the chapel band and doing woodworking favours for the likes of me. Which begs the question, whats he done with my Nad amp and Technics cassette deck?

aquapiranha
09-03-2009, 14:03
Now there is a question!.
It started life as a trends TA 101. I bought the Audiomagus tweak kit 2 and without any previous experience attempted to fit it. Needless to say I completly buggered it. I posted on Wigwam and Puffin offered to look at it. He told me the chip was dead so replaced the circuit board and chip with one he had, fitting the Audiomagus capacitors, massive RCA connectors and other gubbins. So there is just about nothing left of the T amp except the case.
The amp sounds really good to me but my next upgrade will be to a power amp in order to see how good the 7520 is as a pre.
I have put away my soldering iron for now but still look in on the DIY threads....

ah! I think I remeber now. I had the same amp and fitted the same tweak kit, did you ask me about it on Wigwam ( I am PARAGON on there....) the Trends is a brilliant amp, some just cannot / will not / refuse to accept that something so inexpensive can sound good, and so it gets overlooked which is a real shame. I could happily live with one again. In fact, I am considering building another (chip) amp by Audiosector, not the saem I know but also very good so I am told.

Covenant
09-03-2009, 14:30
You are correct, I remember talking to you about it.
They really are nice amps but I was thrown a bit by a thread I started on AOS titled ICE v Hypex or something like that. Someone posted a document that basically condemned all class D and I have been a bit uncertain which direction to go in as a result.
I think its time to try valves and I am very tempted by the new Croft power amp.

aquapiranha
09-03-2009, 14:47
I think both SS and valves are great ( I have valves at the moment) though each can be said to have their individual strenghts and it is these strengths that will endear themselves to different people, one mans poison is anothers.... this is why I have not discounted either. I understand that a valve pre with a tripath / chip amp sounds excellent though I have not yet tried this myself.

greenhomeelectronics
11-03-2009, 17:38
Refoaming is not as tricky as you might think, I have done loads now. You can buy foams for most speakers from a guy in Holland - www.audiofriends.nl, he has all the sizes listed on his web site. It's a very satisfying thing to do, as is restoring cabinets.
Best of luck with them,
Dave.

DSJR
11-03-2009, 18:31
I like valve amps too, but not with vintage IMF's. Not unless they're Graff's or similar, otherwise the bass will drown the nicely restored mid...... :)

Covenant
12-03-2009, 20:43
No, if I get a valve amp it will be used with my Vandersteens which are head and shoulders better than any thing else I have heard (IMHO).
The IMF's will be given away I think.