PDA

View Full Version : Anyone for ballet?

julesd68
05-12-2012, 18:07
I am wetting myself with excitement.

My dear mother has managed to secure great seats to see Carlos Acosta (:youtheman:) in La Bayadere at the Royal Opera House next year. I have never seen the great man dance and it can't be long before he hangs up his dancing shoes so this might be my one and only chance! It's a great role to see what he's all about.

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/la-bayadere-by-natalia-makarova

We are also going to have a family trip to see Alice's Adventures in Wonderland next year, also at the ROH. My 7 year old boy is well looking forward to it. Take a look at some examples of the stunning production design here -

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/alices-adventures-in-wonderland-by-christopher-wheeldon

Do we have any other AOS's who enjoy the delights of this form?

Marco
06-12-2012, 07:09
Nice one, Julian. Are you going to don your tutu and have a wee pirouette around the lounge? :eyebrows:

Marco.

julesd68
06-12-2012, 10:30
Marco - I'll put on a private performance for you - but it's going to cost you!:booty:

Alex_UK
07-12-2012, 22:23
Not really a "fan" - but I've been a few times in the past with my ex-wife and do find it rather amazing - the highlight being Darcey Bussell in Swan Lake somewhere around the mid-90's?

My current wife has never been, and 4 year old avatar has been doing ballet classes for about a year so we're going to see Swan Lake by The Russian State Ballet & Orchestra of Siberia next February. :)

julesd68
08-12-2012, 20:09
Alex, I am sure your daughter will love Swan Lake - it's a wonderful experience to give her and a magical ballet as you know, when done right. Just to warn you though - the auditorium has to be cooled down to -20c for the Orchestra of Siberia ... ;)

Alex_UK
08-12-2012, 20:17
Just to warn you though - the auditorium has to be cooled down to -20c for the Orchestra of Siberia ... ;)

:lol: We have snow suits!

Rowlf
11-12-2012, 20:48
Who would you rate as the top ballet company in the world now?

julesd68
12-12-2012, 00:35
I am by no means a ballet expert and sadly I don't have the funds to go abroad to check out the best companies, but the best I have seen is the Mariinsky Ballet, by some margin.

I was lucky enough to see them last year at the ROH in a sublime "Homage to Fokine" featuring Chopiniana, The Firebird & Scheherazade. It was very, very special. I got the feeling that most members of the corps de ballet could be solo stars just about anywhere else, as the standard was so universally high! For me it was a wonderful experience to see Scheherazade for the first time, the music for which is beyond heavenly for me.