PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive - some 'proper' Philips speakers

break-3
06-03-2009, 07:20
First I apologise for the lack of pictures. I thought you might like to hear about some prototype speakers Philips demo'd to me a couple of weeks ago, which will be a statement of how serious they are about improving sound quality throughout their range of products (TVs as well as hi-fi).
The lack of pictures is because they had them semi-hidden beneath some netting, but the design principle was a small, cylindrical cabinet with an upwards (but slightly forward, maybe 15 degrees) firing driver of around 6". A stalk came from the rear of the cabinet to mount a tweeter directly above the main driver.
Difficult to comment too much on the sound, partly because the source was one of their Streamium mini systems, but also because they played bloody Hotel California, which just makes me shut off these days. Still, the imaging seemed excellent, the dynamics impressive and the bass (what there was of it) was more than you'd expect from such a compact design.
The project is provisionally entitled Point Source, and I was assured the speakers would be priced between 500 and 1000 Euros. I suspect they'll be ready in time for launch at IFA in September. :)
Incidentally, they also have a high-end 7.1 receiver and speakers on the way to go with their Cinema 21:9 TV. Floorstanding front and rear left/rights, standmount rear centres and a traditional front centre. They demo'd the prototypes for me, but then said the driver sizes would change and the cabinets would be redesigned. :lol:
Over and out.

Filterlab
06-03-2009, 15:40
Sounds interesting, it's about time that Philips levered their collective heads from out of the sand and started making something decent again. I'm quite interested in the 21:9 TVs as well, although I'm not ready to replace my 50" HD plasma just yet, maybe when I have a proper cinema room though. :)