PDA

View Full Version : T-amp for AV?

Covenant
02-12-2012, 14:00
Does any one make a 5.1 or 7.1 t-amp? It strikes me that the low cost, small size and low heat output would make them ideal for AV use. :)
I suppose you could take the output from a processor and feed it to 5 t-amps but I don't fancy getting that idea past the wife!

DaveK
02-12-2012, 14:17
Jerry,
Wouldn't you only need 3 Mini-Ts for 5.1? 1 for Centre and Sub, 1 for 2 front and 1 for 2 rear? I've no idea whether that would be possible or whether getting 3 past the wife rather than 5 would be any more likely but I just thought I'd ask the question :) .
Dave.

BTW, do you always get naked to play the piano?

Covenant
02-12-2012, 15:05
Your right for 5.1 Dave but in my case I would prefer 7.1 as I have seven speakers plus a sub woofer in my living room. Oh and the sub woofer receives an un-amplified signal as it has its own amp.
I have had to stop nude piano playing Dave as I have received complaints about skid marks on the stool.

DaveK
02-12-2012, 15:27
I have had to stop nude piano playing Dave as I have received complaints about skid marks on the stool.

And it gets confusin' if you wipe the skidmarks off with your fingers and transfer them to the keys :lol: .
But you'd only need 4 Mini-Ts to do 7.1 - just a tad easier to get past the missus than 5 ;) .
Dave.

Reid Malenfant
03-12-2012, 22:43
Hi Jerry, I'm 100% sure I have seen multi channel class T or D amps intended for what would be known as installation. In fact I have one here myself, an eight channel amp ;) Lab Gruppen C20:8X, all £3K of it for £500 delivered :rfl:

I suggest you do what I did when looking for similar, type "channel amplifier" into ebay search, you'll be surprised what you find given a little time...

There are sixteen channel amps out there :eek:

They do appear to be very flexible though, with bridgeable outputs or whatever you like come to that.

Covenant
04-12-2012, 08:55
Hi Jerry, I'm 100% sure I have seen multi channel class T or D amps intended for what would be known as installation. In fact I have one here myself, an eight channel amp ;) Lab Gruppen C20:8X, all £3K of it for £500 delivered :rfl:

I suggest you do what I did when looking for similar, type "channel amplifier" into ebay search, you'll be surprised what you find given a little time...

There are sixteen channel amps out there :eek:

They do appear to be very flexible though, with bridgeable outputs or whatever you like come to that.

I will keep on looking Mark but the ones on ebay mostly appear to be for cars and don't have any of the AV gubbins for channel balance.

istari_knight
04-12-2012, 17:20
The Teac Legacy 800 (5.1) uses 3 Tripath TA2022's & sounds pretty good with it so I'm told...

Covenant
04-12-2012, 19:04
Cheers James,
That's quite an old piece of kit, obviously didn't catch on as there doesn't seem to be a replacement

istari_knight
04-12-2012, 20:40
Cheers James,
That's quite an old piece of kit, obviously didn't catch on as there doesn't seem to be a replacement

Indeed. AFAIK it sounds far better than it has any right to when partnered with decent speakers but it was sold in a package deal with matching dvd player & speakers with plastic enclosures... Much like Teac A500 stereo amplifier it was the one good part of a rubbish system.

They also did 3 channel power amplifiers using Tripath chipsets but I cant remember the model number - A Google will reveal all I'm sure !

daytona600
11-12-2012, 12:37
Not T amps , but hybrid very nice 5.1 amps

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/dared4/dared.html