PDA

View Full Version : Gramophone Archive

julesd68
26-11-2012, 20:41
In addition to my Penguin Guide, I found the on-line Gramophone Archive incredibly useful for sourcing reviews of old vinyl ...

The archive has now been relaunched as an app that you subscribe to for 40 quid a year.

I won't be subscribing but what do others think - is that good value? :scratch:

MartinT
26-11-2012, 21:15
I think it's a little steep, Julian. If it were priced closer to the cost of the Penguin guide, I'd go for it. However, when I used to subscribe to the Gramophone I always thought some of the reviewers very stuffy and old school. Nevertheless, I would like access to the archive.

By the way, an App for which platforms?

julesd68
26-11-2012, 21:20
Silly me - forgot to include the link! :doh:

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/classical-music-news/gramophone-launches-new-digital-archive-app

It's for ipad, iphone and desktop ...

Totally agree with you Martin about the reviewing style, but nevertheless it was always useful to fill in any gaps that Penguin left out.

morris_minor
26-11-2012, 22:50
For about twenty years I subscribed to Gramophone, but was persuaded by SWMBO to turf 'em out after the archive went online. Was pretty gutted the other week when I found a saved bookmark wouldn't work! Bar-stewards.... I think £40 is a bit steep myself, but I may succumb.

Mind you Gramophone went downhill when Haymarket took over. The audio pages were always an island of sanity, now they're just WTF in a dinner jacket....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD