PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding my system, Stage One

break-3
03-03-2009, 20:59
Okay, so I'm planning on totally rebuilding my main system. The first stage for me was to decide on the one component to base it all around... Which is why I've just ordered the new version of my all-time favourite speakers - a pair of Eclipse TD712z Mk2s should be heading my way in the coming weeks :eyebrows: . Hmm, but what next? Some careful auditioning will have to take place (when my bank balance finally recovers - so, er, not till the new year then).

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo168/break-3_photos/eclipse-td712z-mk2-pair2.jpg

Filterlab
06-03-2009, 12:38
Those Eclipse speakers are a cracking starting point Simon, very well reviewed and much loved by those seeking incredible accuracy.

What are you going to start with; new source or new amplification?

break-3
06-03-2009, 13:17
Good question. I think phono stage and amp are next on the list. I've got a reasonable idea of where I want to go turntable-wise, but it's all bound to change when I find out what actually works with the 712s.
Latest update is that I should have them before the end of next week.

Filterlab
06-03-2009, 15:43
Nice, quick moving mate. I can certainly testify to a particular model of turntable having been stunned by one at the weekend, the 1210 is a magic bit of kit when caressed by the right hands. Pop it on your audition list. ;)

John
06-03-2009, 16:23
Simon keep us updated about what choices you make and why you made them

break-3
12-03-2009, 15:18
Arrived and being run in as we speak. Now to decide whether I upgrade phono stage or amp first. Having borrowed a few phono stages recently, I know it's the weakest part of my system, but... I really want a new amp. I've got a couple of old Crimson monoblocks lying around in the loft, so I might try those, using the Flying Mole as a preamp, and see if it improves things to a point I can live with until funds allow an upgrade. I seem to remember the Crimsons are a bit rough around the edges, though. :scratch: Very tempted to throw caution to the wind and try the Krell KAV-300IL that Tony's selling. :eyebrows: