PDA

View Full Version : Another 7510 question.

freddiecas
01-03-2009, 16:38
I've managed the Mod 21 parts 1 and 2 on the Beresford 7510 6/3 and the op-amp change is VERY good indeed through tri-amped Audiolabs and tri-wired Kef reference system. These dacs really are superb value.

First question should I take out the 0.1u ceramics in parallel with EC8 and 9 and put polyprops there instead? Or are the ceramics there for a purpose for some specific RF freq decoupling? Having lurked for a while and read Stan's contributions I don't want to upset some specific design intent and make the thing worse.

Second question, is it worthwhile doing the Wolfson swap on a 7510 6/4+ and does it take the dac section up to a 7520 performance?

Third question are there any chip swaps for the 386 headphone amp and how on earth do I get the volume knob off to get the bottom of the front pcb :) :) :) Mine is on so tight I'm afraid of harming the pot if I lever too hard :)

I've been extra cheeky and put blue leds in my moded 7510 ;)
Don't get super bright - 2000mcd "diffused lens" with 20K series (can't desolder under the pcb yet!) is just enough to look classy without overpowering any other equipment.

thanks ;)

Fred.

NRG
01-03-2009, 17:16
IMHO remove the ceramics and use a single cap such as a BlackGate or similar. Ceramic caps are microphonic and vary with applied voltage, horrid things.

StanleyB
01-03-2009, 17:28
The Wolfsson adds nothing to the sound. I tried it and abandoned it. You get more from the LM4562MA swap.

freddiecas
03-03-2009, 20:40
thanks, guys. Any tips to get the volume knob off :) ?