PDA

View Full Version : new Moderator panel

markf
28-02-2009, 07:13
Not sure that I think the new Moderator panel is useful, it seems to add
too much space to the layout, not a big deal, but I preferred the way it was.

Dave Cawley
28-02-2009, 07:47
Why do we need so many moderators, are we really that bad? I feel unduly intimated when sometimes every poster is a moderator.

Dave

Beechwoods
28-02-2009, 08:12
Hi Dave. I guess that Admin will want to comment on the number of moderators, but please do bear in mind that we're all just members too. Our thoughts on hi-fi and music count for no more than any other member of the forum, and we actually find the need to do very little 'moderating' - members certainly shouldn't feel intimidated!

I do know that the 'Admin' team are trying to ensure that we Mods are more accessible and that we get to deal with more of the day to day support of the forum. Because us Mods are around so much (we like the forum and like to post :)) and because we know a lot of the other members, we hope that other members who have any problems or concerns will find it easier to get straight in touch directly with one of us. Even if they might feel uncomfortable contacting Admin or someone they didn't know so well.

Dave Cawley
28-02-2009, 08:19
I might have guessed a moderator would respond!!!! Buy hey; EL-7: respect!

Problems and concerns, why? This is a tiny board with no trouble at all, or is there?

I run two boards with 3K+ members each, never have any problems or concerns, only intervene about twice a year, and the 2 (yes two) moderators never make themselves known.

Of all the regular posters, take out the dealers and the moderators, and you are left with a minority of ordinary people, the very people this list should be for?

Confused of Dartmouth

Marco
28-02-2009, 10:07
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your comments. I know where you're coming from, mate, but you're missing the point, particularly here:

Of all the regular posters, take out the dealers and the moderators, and you are left with a minority of ordinary people...

I like your maths - out of 901 members we have four main Moderators (Leo and John only do one specific room each) and maybe 30 dealers, and after removing those there's only a tiny minority of people left? :scratch:

901 - 34 = ? ;)

Anyway, more seriously, the mistake you're making is looking at Moderators as being purely authority figures - in this forum, as you've correctly pointed out, that's not the case.

The reason we make people Moderators is to reward our most regular and loyal members (people who post every day and give a great deal to the forum) and give them a greater say in the running of the forum, not to control 'problems'.

Quite simply, if you have a say in the way a community is shaped (we see AOS as a community, not merely a forum) then you feel more a part of that community. Therefore when you see the word "Moderator" next to someone's name, what you should see is someone who has the ability to help you (in terms of moving posts, deleting posts, editing things or whatever), not someone who's 'intimidating' or there to slap your wrists.

To use an example, when you see a Police officer on the street do you see them as someone who's there to punish you or someone who's there to help in an emergency? Hopefully you can see my point. Moderators should be seen as facilitators not authority figures.

Perhaps we should change the title and use a name that reflects more of the duties our Moderators actually carry out? :)

Marco.

Steve Toy
28-02-2009, 11:28
Naah! We call a spade a spade. I hate political correctness. I think most people know what being a mod entails. Plus, I don't really want to call them 'facilitators' any more than we should have plastic coppers called 'Community Beat Officers.'

Filterlab
28-02-2009, 11:40
Excellent reply Marco.

Steve Toy
28-02-2009, 11:43
Agreed.

Dave Cawley
28-02-2009, 17:33
Marco, I said "regular posters" I did not say "members", hence I believe my maths is still approximately correct? Only moderators and administrators are replying to this thread, proves my point?

But yes, helpers would be far less oppressive than moderators?

Anyway, I suspect we will never agree...................

So rather than be pressurised into agreeing by the mods and admin's, I'll let it drop. I know my place.

Dave

Mike
28-02-2009, 17:35
Oh give over... no-ones out to get you! :lol:

Your 'place' is wherever you would like it to be. ;)

Filterlab
28-02-2009, 18:27
Hear hear.

Marco
01-03-2009, 23:16
Marco, I said "regular posters" I did not say "members", hence I believe my maths is still approximately correct? Only moderators and administrators are replying to this thread, proves my point?

Regarding your second point, this is 'Critics Corner': a place where our members critique the forum and give feedback to the management team, therefore as it's the management team (Mods and Admin) whom you are addressing, who do you expect to answer and hence post on this thread?

Anyway, we'll have a chat about this next week when I come down. I'll phone you tomorrow to discuss :)

Marco.