PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 65: Michael Jackson - Thriller (1982)

Alex_UK
31-10-2012, 20:59
Album Club - Week 65: Michael Jackson - Thriller (1982)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51GmdhAl%2BkL.jpg
http://open.spotify.com/album/2ANVost0y2y52ema1E9xAZ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thriller_(album)

Well unfortunately I've not heard from Mark (Reid Malenfant) so we're dragging a Reserve choice out of the crypt this week. With it being Halloween there is only one choice, really...

Almost 30 years old, Thriller became (and remains) the best selling album of all time within a year of its release, now with somewhere between 65 and 110 million copies being sold Worldwide - you can't fail to be aware of this album.

I'm not sure there are many albums that have seen 7 out of 9 tracks released as singles, but perhaps the innovative use of music videos helped this. The iconic video to the title track is over 13 minutes long, voted as the most influential pop music video of all time and had a massive effect on popular culture that is still felt nearly 3 decades on.

sOnqjkJTMaA

Regardless of what you think of the man or his music, there's no disputing that Thriller is a classic album by any measure, with some epic pop moments (though personally I can't stand the Paul McCartney duet "The Girl Is Mine" but that might just be me...)

The Funk Of Forty Thousand Years
And Grizzy Ghouls From Every Tomb
Are Closing In To Seal Your Doom
And Though You Fight To Stay Alive
Your Body Starts To Shiver
For No Mere Mortal Can Resist
The Evil Of The Thriller

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

John
31-10-2012, 21:38
Interesting choice Alex I am not Michael biggest fan but cannot deny this is worthy of album club and a landmark album. I am not sure where I stand on the marking or ever will, but I admit it has some great hits on it

Beechwoods
31-10-2012, 21:52
Definitely an interesting album, and worthy of it's success. I do find it oddly patchy, with 3 or 4 massive standout tracks, and a few real wasters!

'The Girl Is Mine' sounds very much 'of it's time'. McCartney sounds like Jackson's dad, and Jackson always was a child. He never did 'love songs' with any sense of understanding. 'PYT' kind of sums this up in a nutshell!

'Thriller', 'Beat It' and 'Billie Jean' are truly classics, 'PYT' is musically 5 years before it's time and even the demo track (on the extended version) 'Carousel' is a great song...

For me though, 'Thriller' and 'Billie Jean' are the highlights. Perfect pop moments.

His performance at Motown 25 was almost as important for his legend as the 'Thriller' album. Say hello to the Moonwalk at 3'39".

7XZGJiY2a3o

And seeing as we're in the mood, here's a fantastic audio-visual mashup of Thriller by Hexstatic. Almost as funky as the original.

Nnw1lDr-tAg

Alex_UK
31-10-2012, 22:02
Not seen this since it was on TV in '87 but I always remember this line - "These guys are really frightening and they look like they are fans of Aston Villa" :lol: (with apologies to DanJennings of course!)

3jfXzx1SHsY

RichB
01-11-2012, 18:38
Well done for stepping in Alex. This one gets a 5 from me, some great pop moments here but could never claim to be a fan of MJ enough to buy one of his records. This album, along with other pop of the time was played to death by my younger sister when we were kids. As such think I may have actually destroyed a vinyl copy or two along with some five-star and curiosity killed the cat type stuff.

Alex_UK
01-11-2012, 18:47
Well I've got vinyl and digital copies, and had a fresh spin today in the spirit of the Club. Billie Jean is the stand-out track for me, but I still find The Girl Is Mine actually a bit disturbing - and even in '82, did people really say "The dog gone girl is mine?" Sorry - minus 2 points for that travesty - but otherwise you can't really fault it - 8 out of 10.

Audio Al
01-11-2012, 19:02
Iconic

The man was a legend in the pop world for 30 years

A sad sad shame fame killed him , His childhood was taken away by fame

No wonder he went off the rails :(

RIP Michael

Some great music and pop videos

I HAVE THE ALBUM :D

DanJennings
01-11-2012, 19:10
I actually listened to this about a month ago, and I had forgotten about a few of the songs I liked...
Human Nature is definitely a highlight for me, as well as the obvious ones...

I definitely agree, the girl is mine is pretty cringeworthy.... The missus likes it though!

Have any of you guys heard the recent reggae(ish) version of the album by Easy Star All Stars?

FaRZmqFBuoc
aX8J1KRrSLI

DanJennings
01-11-2012, 19:11
Oh by the way, I'll give it a 7 ;) I prefer Bad and Off The Wall on the whole

I went to see Jacko when I was a nipper! (Dangerous tour) brilliant showman

Just clocked the Aston Villa reference too, cheeky buggers!

MartinT
01-11-2012, 20:14
I've never been a Michael Jackson fan, just couldn't see what the fuss was about (and I'm not talking about his dubious personal life). This album has two stand-outs, Thriller and Billie Jean, although they're not my style, and a lot of other dreck. Far too disco poppy and, to be honest, if the MJ moniker were stripped away I doubt it would have sold that well. 4/10 for me.

DSJR
01-11-2012, 20:19
Played it too much at the time at home and in dems to really enjoy it again now. I tend to bypass his music when looking for something to play now.

Tim
02-11-2012, 17:15
I hardly play this now, but I still rate it highly as an album - a bit of a ground breaker and I agree with Martin, the stand out tracks for me are Thriller and Billie Jean. Even though I don't play it that often, it still deserves and gets a 9/10 from me.

Bazil
06-11-2012, 13:18
Ok I played it, but I didn't sit and listen, it was just on while I did other things, that was really the best I could do seeing it was an album club choice.
Is it still the top selling album of all time? MJ was a brilliant performer and this was his masterpiece so deserves a 10, but I personally find it hard to vote on, I'd give it 0/10 but that is being harsh and unfair so I refuse to vote :ner:

Marco
06-11-2012, 13:55
MJ was a brilliant performer and this was his masterpiece so deserves a 10, but I personally find it hard to vote on, I'd give it 0/10 but that is being harsh and unfair so I refuse to vote :ner:

Hi Barry,

I find it hard to rationalise your former comments (in bold) with the latter. If you think that Thriller was a masterpiece and that MJ was a brilliant performer, then why not give the album your vote based on those sentiments?

Why do you find it "hard to vote on"? :scratch:

Marco.

Bazil
06-11-2012, 17:42
MJ was a brilliant performer and this was his masterpiece so deserves a 10, but I personally find it hard to vote on, I'd give it 0/10 but that is being harsh and unfair so I refuse to vote :ner:

You are right Marco the statement is a bit ambiguous to say the least!
I really wasn't going to listen to this at all but that would have been unfair to Alex who took the trouble to post, I am 100% behind album club and always have a listen and vote.
Right back to my comment he was a brilliant performer and I am led to believe this was his masterpiece so should deserve a 10, thats what I should have posted.
Ok I shall now cast my vote :hmm:
I do like a couple of Jackson 5/ MJ songs but I don't like any on this album 2/10 :eek:

prestonchipfryer
06-11-2012, 17:56
Rarely played by me now, but quite enjoyable. 5/10 for me.

The Grand Wazoo
06-11-2012, 19:10
So, it's not just me then, who can't derive a single moment of interest or pleasure from anything Michael Jackson has ever done?
I thought it was me against the world for a while back there!
The thing is, usually, I can see why people might like something even if I hate it, but with him, I've always been bewildered that anyone might even think he was talented.
I borrowed a vinyl copy from a friend and I did listen to the whole album all the way through. Afraid I didn't hear anything to change my mind.
Best track? The running out track on side two.

Beechwoods
06-11-2012, 20:06
Good lord, that's strong stuff!

Have you always felt that way? Even 'Off The Wall' has great moments, though patchy, to be honest.

The Grand Wazoo
06-11-2012, 20:10
Yes......sorry!
I always have since I first saw The Jackson 5 on the TV in the 70's.

Beechwoods
06-11-2012, 20:11
He didn't get into his stride until later. 'Rockin' Robin' didn't have much merit, I'll give you that :)

The Grand Wazoo
06-11-2012, 20:14
Ha!!

Marco
09-11-2012, 07:55
So, it's not just me then, who can't derive a single moment of interest or pleasure from anything Michael Jackson has ever done?
I thought it was me against the world for a while back there!
The thing is, usually, I can see why people might like something even if I hate it, but with him, I've always been bewildered that anyone might even think he was talented.
I borrowed a vinyl copy from a friend and I did listen to the whole album all the way through. Afraid I didn't hear anything to change my mind.
Best track? The running out track on side two.

Lol... What are you like? You must admit, though, that he was a very talented dancer! Or is your benchmark for such things the monotonous geriatric parading seen on Strictly? :eyebrows: ;)

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
09-11-2012, 08:02
Ha!
No, I don't have a personal benchmark for dancing. Well that's a lie, I suppose.
How about: Tried it once & thought it was pants.

I can't do it & I don't understand why other people might want to!

Marco
09-11-2012, 08:07
Incidentally, purely as a hi-fi exercise (if you don't like the music), and for a bit of a giggle to test your system and speakers, for anyone who owns his 'BAD' album, try playing 'Speed Demon' as loudly as your system can handle - that'll defo get yer woofaz barking!!

It's one of the tracks I always play to, erm, 'entertain' people when they visit... :eyebrows:

Quite a fun little animated vid, too (he often made some of the best pop videos around):

l039y9FaIjc

Marco.

Marco
09-11-2012, 08:09
Ha!
No, I don't have a personal benchmark for dancing. Well that's a lie, I suppose.
How about: Tried it once & thought it was pants.

I can't do it & I don't understand why other people might want to!

...and therein lies the reason why you don't like MJ ;)

I haven't met anyone yet who dislikes dancing, but who likes MJ, or vice versa. The two go fundamentally together. Bet you hadn't thought of it that way before!

I expect your feelings will be the same about John Travolta. Whereas, in Saturday Night Fever (and Grease), I thought he was cool as fuck...

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
09-11-2012, 08:25
I had actually, but it's OK - I don't mind not liking Michael Jackson!

Marco
09-11-2012, 08:52
Yup, 'tis simply down to personal taste... There can't be many hardcore Zappa fans who like MJ! :D

I liked him (indeed he was an idol of mine, as a teenager). Many times my mates and I would play his music in our bedrooms and try and copy his moves... :eyebrows: We used to be quite good!

When I first heard Billy Jean, and saw *that* video of him dancing during it, I was in AWE, but then it was released bang in the middle of my most impressionable period as a teenager, and so his music brings back many fond memories for me. 1980-83 (between my 4th and 6th years at secondary school) was an awesome time in my life.

Anyway, I thought that the correlation between a liking of ('disco-style') dancing and MJ's music was pertinent. Quite simply, if you don't 'get' one, you won't 'get' the other....

Ultimately, however, Prince was always much more talented!

Marco.

MartinT
09-11-2012, 09:12
Ultimately, however, Prince was always much more talented!

Too right! I was virtually dragged to a Prince concert many years ago by my then girlfriend. Rarely have I been so surprised and impressed. The man is a superb performer and a not inconsiderable guitar player.

Marco
09-11-2012, 09:34
Indeed, and Appollonia Kotero (what a beautiful name), in Purple Rain (one of my all time fav films), was always rather easy on the eye....

C0JcQlZqF4E

:eyebrows: :eyebrows:

Marco.

Tim
09-11-2012, 10:16
This has been a most interesting Album Club choice and quite possibly the results have been the most surprising of all the selections so far.

I often struggle to understand how anyone could score any *popular* music with a 1, but music does divide opinion as we have seen recently with The Rolling Stones being described as shit :scratch: I particularly like Marco's reasoning too, mind you I really dislike 'Strictly' but love this album, I don't dance, but wish I could and often say I will learn when I have more time, as I think music and dance go hand in glove.

The Billie Jean video is an historic bit of pop culture and I never tire of seeing that - as for Prince, boy do I wish I had seen him live in his prime :(

Marco
09-11-2012, 11:06
Hi Tim,

I particularly like Marco's reasoning too, mind you I really dislike 'Strictly' but love this album, I don't dance, but wish I could and often say I will learn when I have more time, as I think music and dance go hand in glove.

The Billie Jean video is an historic bit of pop culture and I never tire of seeing that...

+1, although I would add the word 'appropriate' before "music" (above), as not all music is the kind you would dance to! :eyebrows:

The fact is (and it's simply a natural phenomenon) some people have little or no sense of rhythm, and *that* fundamentally influences their music choices, and in some ways, the sound that they also enjoy from a hi-fi system. This tends to lead those people into preferring music of the 'cerebral' variety: 'thinking man's music', if you will, devoid of a dance beat, and also curiously, as I've found, any boy/girl 'love interest'.

Generally, I find that people who might consider themselves as 'intellectuals', or the more 'reserved' sorts, shy away from the latter (or 'letting their hair down' in general), as they tend to subdue their emotions (in that respect, I'm the opposite, and am very demonstrative of mine), and anything that may be considered as dance music, although, as ever, there are exceptions.

For most of my life, I was of the opposite mentality (loving funky, beat-driven music one could dance to), and so the vast majority of my musical choices centered around anything with a 'boogie factor' (or what I would call 'pop ballads', say the likes of 'True' by Spandau Ballet, where the boy/girl thing featured prominently), particularly as I rarely listen to what one would consider as 'meaningful' lyrics (political shite and stuff like that), and so when many of you here, as teenagers, were into the classic rock of the 60s and 70s, I was into the soul, disco and pop scene. The Top 40 chart show, broadcast every Sunday night on Radio 1, was one of my musical highlights of the week! However, I also loved listening to John Peel, late at night, on my bedside clock radio... It was a curious mix! :D

Then when the electronic 'new wave' keyboard-driven music came in, during the 80s, I became hooked on that, as indeed most of my mates were. The music of Michael Jackson, and indeed rather embarrassingly now, that of Wham! and George Michael, also featured heavily then in my listening, mainly because I thought they were 'cool' :eek: Oh, and some nice looking girls at school also tended to like them ;) There was a period, though, where I also liked Queen, Genesis, UFO, Rush, Pink Floyd, Gong, Wishbone Ash, etc, mainly when I got a motorbike and started hanging around with different people. Ultimately, though, I'm really an 80s music boy at heart!

It's only been in the last 15 years, or so, that my musical tastes have matured and diversified, massively, and now I'm into all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff, some of it very obscure. I'm also listening to classical music regularly now, whereas I'd never have entertained it before, as that (and the likes of classic rock) would've been considered as boring 'old man's' music! I was rather a trendy big bastard in my day, so was really only interested in what was 'current'... :lol:

However, just like with hi-fi, one's appreciation of music is on a continual learning curve, and I'm glad that my rather large collection of music now is packed full of widely differing genres from various eras - I simply wouldn't have it any other way... Apologies for going off on a tangent!

Marco.

Tim
09-11-2012, 11:47
It's only been in the last 15 years, or so, that my musical tastes have matured and diversified

I think if you are really into music this is inevitable for most people. If anyone had said to me 10 years ago I would be listening too and really *getting* country I would quite possibly have been very rude to them. Mind you, modern country and americana is vastly different to Jimmie Rodgers 'twang' country.

I think the more knowledgeable you get, the more you explore the roots of music and when it all starts to click, you understand of lot more of where the artist is coming from and why they sound like they do and what has influenced them. That is where I am now, exploring musical roots as well as new music and AoS has been instrumental in that.

I have always loved a vast variety of music since an early age, the first album I bought was Pictures at an Exhibition, the second The Planets Suite. I am happy listening to Opeth or Emmylou Harris and there's quite a void there, the only thing I don't really enjoy is rap and hip hop, but a black friend of mine in the Cayman Islands once said to me I wasn't supposed to like it ;)

MartinT
09-11-2012, 11:54
Well indeed, I would never *ever* have touched UB40 with an extremely long bargepole in past years. However, Marco got me to listen to the 12" single of Madame Medusa, which I subsequently discovered in my collection (not my purchase). It's a great song. Many barriers have been broken down over the years for me. Not MJ, though.

Marco
09-11-2012, 13:35
...the only thing I don't really enjoy is rap and hip hop, but a black friend of mine in the Cayman Islands once said to me I wasn't supposed to like it ;)

Lol - how true is that! You could almost say the same thing for some types of reggie. I'm not a massive fan of rap or hip-hop, but in general, I like a lot of black music, as it has 'soul', baby! :exactly:

Marco.

Marco
09-11-2012, 13:36
However, Marco got me to listen to the 12" single of Madame Medusa, which I subsequently discovered in my collection (not my purchase). It's a great song. Many barriers have been broken down over the years for me. Not MJ, though.

I'll introduce you to a lot more of 'Marco's favs' next time! ;)

Marco.

Alex_UK
09-11-2012, 14:16
Rap/Hip Hop and Country seem to be the two genres (hate that term) universally hated by audiophiles (hate that term even more!) - I think we definitely need a classic Rap album on Album Club soon to wind you all up! :eyebrows:

Tim
09-11-2012, 14:22
Rap/Hip Hop and Country seem to be the two genres (hate that term) universally hated by audiophiles (hate that term even more!) - I think we definitely need a classic Rap album on Album Club soon to wind you all up! :eyebrows:
Funny you should say that Alex, as I intend to depart from my normal 'new' music next time and make myself unpopular with a country choice :eek:

That'll have y'all running for them there hills . . .

Alex_UK
09-11-2012, 14:24
Look forward to it! :)

WAD62
09-11-2012, 15:37
Sugar coated pap, can't abide the album 0/10...sorry Alex ;)

next time I'll be picking 'Fear of a Black Planet', lets see how that goes down with the anti rap brigade :)

Alex_UK
09-11-2012, 16:13
Sugar coated pap, can't abide the album 0/10...sorry Alex ;)

Don't shoot the messenger - it was a "Reserve List" choice wheeled out for the Halloween connection, not my specific choice. :)

next time I'll be picking 'Fear of a Black Planet', lets see how that goes down with the anti rap brigade :)

That's exactly the album I was thinking of, Will! :lol:

WAD62
09-11-2012, 16:22
Don't shoot the messenger - it was a "Reserve List" choice wheeled out for the Halloween connection, not my specific choice. :)

That's exactly the album I was thinking of, Will! :lol:

Sorry Alex...I really must learn to read ;)

I was also thinking of Dalek, Abandoned language...in fact it's going on now!

Some very dark 'Industrial Rap', the perfect antidote to the 'King of Pap' :)

Tim
10-11-2012, 10:58
How can anyone award something 0 even if they didn't like it? As a music fan you cannot fail to see its worth, even if its not your thing . . . I'm totally baffled :scratch:

I wouldn't even give a Hip Hop record zero and if it was the best selling record in history . . . . well you have to ask yourself a question IMO?

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/hidingunderchair.gif

MartinT
10-11-2012, 11:28
It's from a personal viewpoint, Tim. I could certainly think of lots of hip-hop music that I would award a 0 to as it has no musical worth to me whatsoever.

Nick's Venetian doodah + Speedranch would be another. Funny, scary, but worthless to me as music.

The Grand Wazoo
10-11-2012, 11:29
It was me Tim.
Sorry!
I scored it based on how musically rewarding it is to me. I can't ever envisage circumstances where I might derive any pleasure from it.
However, I fully understand that others think it's fantastic. That's great & I fully respect their opinion.
One can't do anything other than be astonished at its success and how much pleasure it has obviously given to other people - and all that is great too. But none of that should come into the equation for Album Club, nor should opinions of the man.

But musically, the only measure I use here, it does nothing for me - I don't see how I can give it any other score.

Tim
10-11-2012, 12:33
No need to apologise, I just find it a confusing way to view to music. I guess I'm looking at it more objectively than subjectively . . . I'm just trying to remember what I gave Britney now, as I really didn't like that at all. Maybe I'm viewing it all wrong?

I just checked, I gave her 1/10 :lol: (thank goodness I didn't give her zero)

http://thirtythreadbaremercies.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/humble-pie.jpg?w=295&h=300

Tis all fun though and makes for interesting reading.

Bazil
10-11-2012, 18:37
How can anyone award something 0 even if they didn't like it? As a music fan you cannot fail to see its worth, even if its not your thing . . . I'm totally baffled :scratch:

I wouldn't even give a Hip Hop record zero and if it was the best selling record in history . . . . well you have to ask yourself a question IMO?

I tried to say this in my first post, but didn't put it over very well as Marco pointed out, so I relented and gave it 2/10.
But Alex did start the poll at 0/10 so peeps are entitled to use it ;)
For my next album choice I will begin the poll at 7/10 :D

footnote:- Good job it wasn't a Prince album, I'd be looking for the negative integers :eyebrows:

WAD62
12-11-2012, 08:48
It was me Tim.
Sorry!
I scored it based on how musically rewarding it is to me. I can't ever envisage circumstances where I might derive any pleasure from it.
However, I fully understand that others think it's fantastic. That's great & I fully respect their opinion.
One can't do anything other than be astonished at its success and how much pleasure it has obviously given to other people - and all that is great too. But none of that should come into the equation for Album Club, nor should opinions of the man.

But musically, the only measure I use here, it does nothing for me - I don't see how I can give it any other score.

+1 Chris...I was the other '0' voter, I'm sure I stated it in my post...

When it comes to music I think it's a little difficult to be anything other than 'subjective'...my vote too was based on 'what it does for me' :)

In fact if there were a 'negative' score I'd have gone there...I find the album annoying and unpleasant to listen to...I'd rather have silence, how's that for a condemnation ;)

Out of 1k albums, and 2.5kCDs, I own nothing of MJ, other than some early Jackson 5 recordings, so it's fairly clear that he doesn't do it for me...and I reserve my right to say so :cool:

Marco
12-11-2012, 11:00
But apart from that, he's ok? :lol:

Marco.

Tim
12-11-2012, 21:54
When it comes to music I think it's a little difficult to be anything other than 'subjective'...my vote too was based on 'what it does for me' :)
I think that's where I'm going wrong Will, or perhaps differ when listening to album club choices. Maybe I should just score on how I personally feel about it, as opposed to its musical merit :scratch:

This has been an interesting one though.... who's going to put an Adele album up then ;)

Beechwoods
12-11-2012, 22:46
Inspired, though rather rude mashup by Cassetteboy... not for the faint-hearted, and NSFW / children.

d5bBGoItSfg

pjdowns
09-09-2013, 22:22
For me a great album 10/10 :)