PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 64: 23.10.2012 - James Carr - You've Got My Mind Messed Up (1966)

SCIDB
23-10-2012, 20:36
Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Got_My_Mind_Messed_Up

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/track/5ipE6jA0unzsfp22Mcjk9P

Here is an album that some soul buff would but into their top 5, some their alltime favourite.

James had that raw soulful voice that made his singing sounded like his life depended on it. He was up there witth the big hitters like Otis Redding.

James was a bit of a tortured soul. He suffered from depression due to bipolar disorder. He never had the clout of a big label. He wasn't as strong and single-minded as others. He was unable to deal with the pressures from success, touring, and recording.

His early stuff chart on the RnB chart, with a number of tunes crossing over to the pop chart.

This album features of of his best work and shows he could have been talked about like Otis, Aretha, Wilson and others.

James was unknown to most until the mid 90s when he was featured in the book "Sweat Soul music". From their, Kent records aquired his back catalogue and released it for soul music fans. It was about this time I came across him. I love that raw deepness of soul singing.

tp_ctfAhMZU

http://www.amazon.co.uk/You-Got-My-Mind-Messed/dp/B000069CIT/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1351023146&sr=1-3

Alex_UK
23-10-2012, 21:20
Excellent - thanks Dean. We don't get much mention of soul around these parts, and I for one am really looking forward to giving this a go! Top job. :)

MartinT
23-10-2012, 22:18
I'm listening to it now, Dean. Very soulful ;)

The Grand Wazoo
23-10-2012, 23:12
Good choice, Dean.
I'm going to enjoy listening to this one again. It has the first version of 'Dark End of the Street' that I ever heard.

John
24-10-2012, 04:20
Looking forward to listing to this Dean, good to have a bit of classic soul on Album Club

John
24-10-2012, 05:24
Just had a listen
Dean what the quality like on Vinyl
I like the album and not sure just to get CD or the LP
I given this a 10 Raw deep soul fits it well for me as you can hear the pain and suffering in his voice that just goes so deep in the soul

MartinT
24-10-2012, 05:52
It's a really excellent listen. As I said earlier, it's soulful and Carr really sings from the heart. There is a great feeling of energy in these songs. 9/10 from me.

Bazil
24-10-2012, 09:40
Off my radar this one, its pleasant to listen to ,the guy has a good voice, just not my thing I'm afraid. Soul lovers might give this a 9 or 10 but a 5 from me.

Barry
26-10-2012, 01:38
Wonderful! Maybe not quite up there with Otis but close enough. Utterly superb - 9/10.

Great choice Dean.

Tim
26-10-2012, 17:15
This is a new album to me and I love it. Had it playing at work this afternoon and got another in the office to give it a go and he loves it too :)

Going to buy this one for sure and its a 9/10 from me.

SCIDB
26-10-2012, 19:40
Just had a listen
Dean what the quality like on Vinyl
I like the album and not sure just to get CD or the LP
I given this a 10 Raw deep soul fits it well for me as you can hear the pain and suffering in his voice that just goes so deep in the soul

Hi John,

The vinyl is worth picking up, sounds good.

RichB
12-11-2012, 22:18
A seven from me. A great voice and nice sound. I'm not much of a soul boy but this one will get repeated plays in chez rich.

Album club is all about hearing something new, even if its old, which makes this a good choice. I'm always happy to be introduced to artists I've not heard before.

The Grand Wazoo
12-11-2012, 22:28
Looks like I forgot to vote on this one.
A good 9 out of 10 from over here. I think I'm going to treat myself to a new copy.

Alex_UK
12-11-2012, 22:42
I never voted either... :o

Great album though - new to me, and a shame he is not better known. It feels like I should have a vinyl copy of this, but even based on the Spotify version it is a very solid 9/10.

Thanks Dean. :thumbsup: