PDA

View Full Version : What headphones are you using with the Bushmaster?

Morgan
16-10-2012, 07:31
Hi,

I have used the Beresford Bushmaster for a couple of months now (replacing the Rega DAC). It is a great DAC, and now I am thinking about starting to use the headphone amp as well.

I currently have a couple of headphones, but have not find the perfect match with Bushmaster yet.

AKG K701 - The BM drives it well I think, but I do think the K701's are a bit bright and lack some bass (I am not a basshead though)

Audio Technica M-50 - Nice headphones, but the BM is just to much for these easily driven phones.

I am now considering some Beyers. DT880 250 ohm or 600 ohm. Any thoughts on that? Also been considering the HD650, but I have been using it before and it is a bit dark for my taste.

What headphones are you guys using and any reccomendations?

StanleyB
16-10-2012, 08:36
The good thing about the headphone section on the Bushmaster is that it is relatively easy to modify in order to suit various headphones. But soldering skills are required for that bit. If you are DIY friendly then the choice of headphones can be extended and the BM modified accordingly.

Morgan
17-10-2012, 07:19
Well, I am no into DIY. From what I have been reading and experienced the BM 'prefers' high impedance headphones. I will order a pair of Beyer DT880 and Sennheiser HD650 to try out.

Would be great to hear what headphones other Bushmaster owners are using.

StanleyB
17-10-2012, 07:48
Well, I am no into DIY. From what I have been reading and experienced the BM 'prefers' high impedance headphones.
The current production of the Bushmaster DAC is set up for headphones from 25R to 600R. But with such a wide impedance range to cope with there will of course be a trade off at either end of the scale. Maybe a gain selector would be a good idea :scratch:.
For DIYers with surface mount soldering ability it is possible to adjust the gain versus impedance range. I'll start a thread on that sometime soon.

Morgan
19-10-2012, 10:49
I have just ordered the HD650 and should have them tomorrow. They are 300ohm and should match the BM well, or? The only thing I am a bit afraid of is the dark signature of the HD650. But I have read reports here in Norway about users that are really satisfied with the HD650 and BM. What do you think, Stan, about the HD650 and the BM? An alternative could be the HD600 that has a bit more neutral sound.

I can return the headphones within 14 days, so if I am not satisfied the Beyerdynamic DT880 250 ohm will be the next to try out.

I am so satisfied with the BM as a source in my speaker setup (Naim Nait 5i> Linn 109/Rel T5). If I now also could find the perfect headphone match that would be great!

StanleyB
21-10-2012, 07:31
I have no issues with the HD650. Doesn't sound dark to me with the BM.

Morgan
23-10-2012, 06:35
I recieved my HD650 yesterday and can just say that they sound fantastic with the Bushmaster! Nice and warm sound. Some say that these headphones are a bit slow, but I do not think this is the fact with the BM.

StanleyB
23-10-2012, 07:11
I recieved my HD650 yesterday and can just say that they sound fantastic with the Bushmaster! Nice and warm sound. Some say that these headphones are a bit slow, but I do not think this is the fact with the BM.
I have been saying that about the HD650 when used with the BM but I doubt many believed me. Headphones like the HD650 need a headphone amp with good to excellent damping factor in order to dampen any break up of the signal. Thanks for the confirmation of my own test results :).

Ammonite Audio
27-10-2012, 14:02
This thread is useful to me in that I need a decent headphone amp to run off the music PC. I was looking for one with USB, but since I already have the HiFace Evo, that's rather unnecessary. The Bushmaster would appear to be all that I could want, almost irrespective of price.

I shall be getting some decent 'phones in due course (maybe the AKG K701 or even one of the better Grados) but would the Bushmaster be very happy in the meantime driving my elderly Grado SR60s?

StanleyB
27-10-2012, 17:19
I shall be getting some decent 'phones in due course (maybe the AKG K701 or even one of the better Grados) but would the Bushmaster be very happy in the meantime driving my elderly Grado SR60s?
It will drive them with ease :).

ukemaxxer
27-10-2012, 18:59
+1 for the Sennheiser HD650 here, Bushmaster has no problem driving them, and they sound superb.

jandl100
28-10-2012, 08:28
I've a pair of excellent oldie-but-goldie Sony MDR CD1700 'phones. £200 over 10 years ago, and highly rated in the hifi mags then. They are 32 Ohms, I think.

http://cdn.head-fi.org/9/97/265x265px-LS-9702c4df_969290128_Sonymdrcd1700.gif

With the Bushmaster DAC they are the best I have ever heard them :thumbsup: I find my Stax electrostatic headphones are gathering dust now!

Tim
28-10-2012, 11:34
Very good headphones those Jerry :)

aBe
29-10-2012, 03:23
Plugged into the BM, both my Superlux HD668B and Audio Technica ATH M50 sound very very good.

Bits & Bytes are crunched by Vox (with the crossfeed turned on - Chu Moy/Jan Meier) on the Mac Book Pro. You won't go wrong with these..

Gie663
31-10-2012, 08:21
My Grado sr80 headphone works very well with the Bushmaster. As a matter of fact it's the best headphone amplification I've heard so far.
The volume button of the Bushmaster is very sensitive though : I can only turn it to 8 o'clock (about one eighth of the turn) - after that I run into an unbearable volume level.

MartinT
31-10-2012, 08:24
I'm not a big headphone user but my Superlux HD668Bs sound superb through the BM.

StanleyB
31-10-2012, 12:34
The volume button of the Bushmaster is very sensitive though : I can only turn it to 8 o'clock (about one eighth of the turn) - after that I run into an unbearable volume level.
I am amending the volume level and changing the log scale of the volume pot travel in order to address that low level gain.

muso37
02-11-2012, 15:49
Beyerdynamic DT880 and Denon AH-D2000.

I have to say I can't hear much difference in the performance of the headphone amp in the Bushmaster to a dedicated Heed Canamp which cost more than twice as much - I may actually sell the Canamp second-hand to pay for the Bushmaster!.

Cans
11-11-2012, 20:54
The audeze lcd2's are driven with ease and sound is superb. Alive. The Denon ahd2000's are no slouches and sound great too.

wee tee cee
12-11-2012, 16:45
I ran a pair of 650s with the BM....thought the combo sounded very good indeed...The 650s need loads of hours on them (maybe 200 or more to really settle down) remove the internal foam insert and the so called darkness is history.
gave my dac/head amp combo a good run for its money!!!!

Ammonite Audio
07-12-2012, 07:58
I am getting some fantastic sounds from my Venom modded Bushmaster, using an elderly pair of Grado SR60 'phones. The combination does work very well, but clearly there is scope for much better. So, I have been considering rewiring the SR60s with Cardas cable. Alternatively, Analogue Seduction are selling B-Stock Grado SR325is 'phones for an enticing £269, which is not a huge amount more than the cost of rewiring the SR60s. Given that I do like the family look and comfort of Grados, I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who owns a set of SR325is 'phones, to help me to make my mind up.

Any SR325is users out there?

Many thanks

The Grand Wazoo
07-12-2012, 08:10
Not so sure about the 'i's Hugo, but I had the 325's for a long time. I'm not a big headphone user but they were all about detail - huge gobs of overwhelmingly layered detail. I had them so that I could listen in closely to mixes and I couldn't imagine anything better for the price. I sold them to Hamish, not because I replaced them or didn't like them, I just didn't feel owning them was justified from the little use I got out of them. Hamish bought them to use while working and found he was constantly being drawn away from work because the phones were so good on that detail that listening was more important than working!
However, for some folks they're perceived as brain numbingly bright - I think Jeff (goraman) tried and hated the 'i's.
On that basis, I'd certainly try before you buy.

Ammonite Audio
07-12-2012, 10:03
Thanks for that Chris. The 'problem' here is that these particular SR325is 'phones are a B-Stock bargain from Analogue Seduction, so I can't try before I buy. Richer Sounds have them in their store local to me, at a much higher price, but I'm not going to abuse their time and facilities just to buy elsewhere.

Bearing in mind how much I'm enjoying the SR60s, maybe the answer is to carry on with these, and simply remain in blissful ignorance of what I may be missing. Or maybe I should just go for it and order these SR325is 'phones while the offer is there!

alan47
07-12-2012, 22:43
I have had a pair of SR325is's for a couple of years now.I got them cause they were on offer £250.I found them a whole new ball game after my SR80i's,which i still have.I use some KRK KNS8400 if the wife is still up,but the 325's always come out when she goes to bed.I have done a few mods to mine which are easy on grado's,(to many hours looking at headfi)Great pair of phones for the money,plus if you don't like them after 50 hours,you can get your cash back at that price.
Go on,you know you want to....:mad:

Bluedroog
10-12-2012, 19:18
Well I ordered a pair blind. I own the 80s which have served me well for years, I'm going to give them to my mum when the 325is arrive.

Cans
24-01-2013, 00:06
I have been using the sennheiser flagships with the bushmaster for some time now. The BM has a warm low end and doesn't roll off at the top either.
So for those who are contemplating the HD800 but are worried about all the hype that says they're bass light, well if you have the BM you go right ahead and spend some money:)
My bushmaster has been modified to run the optimum level for the audeze lcd2's which are also a joy.
They are both used regularly on the BM as well as the HRT Streamer Pro and the M2tech young dac and the Mdac. It's like having a garage full of ferraris. Endless enjoyment. .....:)
Just a different viewpoint from someone who spends 2k on one piece to achieve the ultimate set up.
I prefer lots of different sounding kit.

StanleyB
26-01-2013, 12:28
I have mentioned many times that most owners of the HD800 are blaming the bass and treble performance of the HD800 on the headphones themselves, instead of the headamp driving them. I worked out long time ago that the HD800 needs loads of current drive in order to get those big drivers to pump out bass properly. Any sensible audiophile with difficult to drive speakers would have figured that out if the HD800 were speakers. But once they are confronted with a set of headphones most people abandon years of experiences and knowledge in favour of wild guesses :doh:.
The BM headamp can deliver up to 500mA of drive current, which is one reason behind its solid bass performance. If you compare that to the current delivery ability of the other popular DACs in the UK with a headphone output, or to the current output ability of some rather expensive stand alone headamps, it isn't too difficult to figure out why using a BM as headamp is such a good idea.

Ammonite Audio
26-01-2013, 17:21
I have just taken delivery of some Grado SR325i phones, which are a bit strident and shouty straight out of the box, but I expect them to beat the SR80s which really sing with the Bushmaster.

alan47
26-01-2013, 18:21
These are my 325i's,with a bit of modding they can sound very smooth with a Bushmaster.8112

For only $ 150 they can sound like RS1's

Rare Bird
26-01-2013, 21:40
Ross 'RE272' & 'RE261' Studio Monitor Series headphones..

:eyebrows:

But no bushmaster :D

vouk
27-01-2013, 06:58
I used the Senn 650's for a year - great cans but fell victim to a malicious toddler attack.
Tried the AKG 702's but proved too uncomfortable for me. Beyers I like, got some custom made 880's but found them a little fatiguing in the long run.

Have now settled for some heavily modded Denon AHD 2000 - absolutely love them and with a 25 ohm impedance, some of the most versatile cans around.
Great pairing, IMO, with the bushmaster.

I have a pair of Russian wooden delights, the Fischer Audio FA 011 for "open back" duties which, for 120 bucks, are ridiculously good.

When funds and the grim reaper (aka Greek taxman) allow, might be getting myself the Audio Technica 1000 RPM's or 2000 series open back headphones. Marvelous little things.

The bushmaster could drive any headphones and with consummate ease.

goraman
27-01-2013, 07:35
If the AKG K701 is to bright and shrill run like hell from the Grado 325i .
I ran a pair in for 2 solid months and they never became bearable, much like having stinging bees in your ears.
The AKG Q701 has a little more thump and smoother highs than the K701,it is a different animal and I am upgrading a cable for mine now.
A head phone that is both dynamic and has more bass than all of the above is the Ultrasone HFI 780 a real bargain in the headphone world and if the track has bass in it you will miss nothing.

I have owned or still own and spent time with all of the above except the K701 I had on loan for 2 weeks.
So I can give a reasonable assessment of the headphones but my amp is a tube headphone amp and most likely sounds a little different than yours but most likely nothing earth shakingly different.

Maximum
31-01-2013, 21:36
These are my 325i's,with a bit of modding they can sound very smooth with a Bushmaster.8112

For only $ 150 they can sound like RS1's

Hi Alan, do you have a link to this mod or did you just get hold of some RS cups and have a go? Not sure I fancy performing the surgery though. :eek:

I'm not sure how much difference is between the i and is version but it has been said the is are slightly tamer in the highs. I'm currently trying the tape mod (electrical tape around the sides of the bowls) which is known to tame the 2k peak a little and smoothens them up a touch and also adds a little bass.

Xaval
06-03-2013, 00:07
Robert, I own a few modded Grados (and have owned a few more) and still enjoy listening to stock Grados.

You are correct with your assertion re the 325i vs 325is. However, they also differ a bit with the upper mids :)

It's interesting to note that with Grado cans, you already get a lot of Grado by the time you reach the 225, from here on forward the law of diminishing returns kicks in severely. As you move up the lineup you get more Grado but less bang for the buck - most of the lineup will sound very similar with slight improvements as you spend more. For a Grado fan it's all part of the fun, but for someone who is not a fan you may not get that much more fun.

It should be noted that Grados are hand built. The same 2 Grados of the same model sometimes don't sound the same. If you factor in the several generations of drivers along the years it's easy to get a bit lost :)

There's a lot about the Grado sound to know about and I could bore you to death with details about this interesting company. But I won't :ner:

After a lot of experimenting, I'd say to anyone into Grados to just get the RS1 (any of it's iterations) and be done with it; or maybe the PS500. Yes it can get expensive on this side of the pond, but that's what it is. I still prefer my Magnum v3.5 "Grados" on wood silver cabled - That's what they look like: http://www.flickr.com/photos/69278404@N07/sets/72157629288985715/

alan47
17-03-2013, 10:10
Hi Alan, do you have a link to this mod or did you just get hold of some RS cups and have a go? Not sure I fancy performing the surgery though. :eek:

I'm not sure how much difference is between the i and is version but it has been said the is are slightly tamer in the highs. I'm currently trying the tape mod (electrical tape around the sides of the bowls) which is known to tame the 2k peak a little and smoothens them up a touch and also adds a little bass.

Have a look at Turbulent Labs,i can recommend the head band and the classic cups.
Head band easy to fit,but the cups do need a leap of faith to do,but worth it imo.It took me a year to pick up the courage to attack mine with a hairdryer.:eek:
Happy listening.

Maximum
17-03-2013, 14:16
Thanks for info, the wood is very nice but the wallet would hate me. Besides they still make me sit and listen and not want to move as they are.

mudan
24-03-2013, 01:28
I find that it drives my HD650 extremely well.

Theotherlarryb
01-04-2013, 18:45
I am using the BM for private home cinema, blu ray PCM stereo signal in and AKG k550 headphones out.

I was a bit worried that it wouldnt hold a candle to my 5.1 home cinema set up but it does. Amazing ambience, and somehow a much more intimate experience. Incredible detail and no trade off on bass heft. Fantastic!

Making me spend even more time with the Game of Thrones box set...

And hats off to Stan for phenomenal service and reponsive advice. Not to mention a delivery speed that Royal Mail seem impossible to find whenever I use them myself.

:respect:

jajh2204
12-05-2013, 08:51
Hey all,

I am pretty new to the DAC world and I am looking to buy my first decent pair of over the ear headphone to listen to the Bushmaster with.

From reading this thread, most of the headphones listed are pretty much top end "at home" types of headphones (hope I got that bit right???) but I wondered if anyone had used the DAC with the more portable types of headphones (B&W P5, Seinnheiser Momentums etc)??

Please forgive my ignorance if these types of headphones are completely the wrong type of kit for the DAC I just wondered if there was something out there that I could use at home with the dac but also on the road with ipod/iphone etc

J

Xaval
12-05-2013, 10:22
BM has a very good HP out, besides being a great DAC to boot. You should have no issues with the BM driving the type of headphones you listed. You have far bigger challenges on choosing the HPs you're going to get.

As a suggestion, add to your list the Beyer DT1350 and the venerable Senn HD25. These play quite fine out of an iPhone also. It's all down to personal preference as for the type of music you enjoy. All should provide decent isolation for on the go use - quite not as good as IEMs though.

edit: May I also suggest you take a look at the Japanese JVCs HA-S500? Don't be fooled by the price... serious piece of cans. They don't look the part though facing the P5s or Momentums :eyebrows:

MartinT
12-05-2013, 21:53
On the budget end, the Superlux HD668B sound very good from the BM.

jonnyd
12-06-2013, 19:26
Have AKG K550's plugged into my BM as I type.....haven't got any other headphones to compare it to, I'm a fan of my friends K701's but wanted closed back myself, thought I'd give them a go. lovely lovely, so much depth and fantastic separation, but the volume control isn't half sensitive! These headphones don't take much driving it seems and I can only just turn it above its bottom spot......have emailed Stan so will see if there's anything to be done!

jonnyd
25-06-2013, 20:57
Simple matter of changing resistors.....have the info I need from Stan, so gonna have a go when I get a mo!

doodoos
23-08-2013, 18:23
Listened to the Audeze LCD 3's yesterday. Wow - this is the best I've heard, almost tube like presentation. Might even get into headphones if these are typical of what cans sound like.

clarkey555
03-12-2013, 16:15
hi morgan...beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80 ohm absolutely brilliant with the bushy very neutral uncoloured becomes addictive:trust:...pete

Freeman
07-12-2013, 20:13
It's interesting to note that with Grado cans, you already get a lot of Grado by the time you reach the 225, from here on forward the law of diminishing returns kicks in severely

I've just received my first pair of Grado SR225i's. Was waiting for a business trip to the USA to get them for $200 but when the UK price was dropped to £200 plus 10% off for cyber Monday I couldn't wait :eyebrows:
Your wooden Grados look absolutley stunning, what did they start life as?

wee tee cee
14-12-2013, 16:59
650s with the foam inserts work really well with the BM2. Had a mate round the other night he brought his 650s round still sporting the foam filters. Tried a berringer uc 202/ epiphany headamp/BM2. He was surprised at the difference removing the filter made to the 650s in the end he liked the epiphany with his cans to my ears the BM2 is far more transparent and realistic.....horses for courses. He was listening at much higher levels than I would- the BM2 needs a bit of acclimatisation IMHO as it is far quieter than anything I have tried before regards noise floor-he was cranking it up to hearing damage levels.You have to tune into it and readjust your perception.
Had a listen to the other combos this morning the BM2 to my ears is in a different league.

My ears/music mind!

Old George
12-02-2014, 16:55
I think i need to upgrade from my 12 year old Beyerdynamic DT 331's.
I'm sitting here listening to sounds i've not heard before through my new Bushmaster MK2, but i think the 331's are holding things back.
I listen to a wide range of music - Mainly rock and blues,but anything from Chris Issak to Sam Cooke.

I've read some good reviews on the following - AKG Q701/AKG K701/BEYERDYNAMIC T51P/GRADO SR325is, my local retailer (Richer Sounds) stock a limited range so i won't be able to audition all the models. What do you recommend?

PeteC
20-02-2014, 15:28
......... for the right cans to use with BMII, or anything else for that matter!

Certainly to be able to hear all that the BM gives it seems only the best will do. Hearing it all on speakers, but phones???

I have Audio Technica ATH-D50s, these seem to have a generally good balance and are excellent, but could do with a bit more smoothness and subtlety, particularly for listening to classical. Also DENON AH-D1001, now obsolete - smooth sounding and clear, but rather lacking in bass response and sounding .

Recently tried Beyer DT880 600 ohm - horribly bright and very inefficient.

Then came the AKG-K612 PROs, similar to K701 etc. These are very clean, smooth sounding cans and have very good definition at all frequencies, but I do find them a bit too bright and whilst the bass quality is excellent a little more of it would be better. Good monitoring cans, but really not a relaxing experience. Also, although only 120 ohms, they too are a bit inefficient. See http://www.akg.com/K612+PRO-827.html?pid=1407

I have ordered some Sennheiser HD650s now. A bit pricey, but hopefully they will be all that has been promised in the many reviews.

Failing that I'll be looking for suggestions.

nat8808
20-02-2014, 16:23
Has anyone tried any Shure IEMs with the Bushmaster?

I've some SHure SE530s and wondered how they would work - they are relatively sensitive and often get hiss from normal media players.

Spec: Frequency range: 18Hz–19kHz. Sensitivity: 119dB/W/m at 1kHz. Impedance: 36 ohms at 1kHz.

Old George
22-02-2014, 12:58
Have AKG K550's plugged into my BM as I type.....haven't got any other headphones to compare it to, I'm a fan of my friends K701's but wanted closed back myself, thought I'd give them a go. lovely lovely, so much depth and fantastic separation, but the volume control isn't half sensitive! These headphones don't take much driving it seems and I can only just turn it above its bottom spot......have emailed Stan so will see if there's anything to be done!

Bought some K550's last weekend, they sound very good but i'm still burning them in.
Agree with you about headphone volume, just a slight turn above bottom and it's too much, yet my old DT 331's need pushing above the halfway mark.

jonnyd
04-03-2014, 21:45
Bought some K550's last weekend, they sound very good but i'm still burning them in.
Agree with you about headphone volume, just a slight turn above bottom and it's too much, yet my old DT 331's need pushing above the halfway mark.

In the end I asked a friend who's handy with surface mounted resistors to swap a couple on Stan's recommendation. It's spot on now with much greater range of movement on the volume control. Great for me as I've only got the K550's to worry about.

Old George
11-03-2014, 19:54
In the end I asked a friend who's handy with surface mounted resistors to swap a couple on Stan's recommendation. It's spot on now with much greater range of movement on the volume control. Great for me as I've only got the K550's to worry about.

I just ended up keeping SPDIF (USB) at 100% and reducing volume on VLC media player to 88%, that has allowed me some adjustment.

richard51
26-04-2014, 13:15
I listen the bushmaster mkII with a pair of Hifiman He 400, connected to an ember amp.... I must say that i have listened details
in some cd i owned for decades , realizing that i have never heard them before the bushmaster... I truly thanks the conceptor of this dac... The price is more than right for a peace of gear of this quality...I am not an audiophile "connoisseur", but i have good ears and i make my opinion rather swiftly after hearing, because if one hear perfect balance in the sound, one recognize it immediately.... The greatest discovery i made in this audiophile world is the bushmaster....It will spare me much money for dac in the future... i will invest in some new headphones.... Its evident after hearing that the bushmaster do a perfect job to send you the best sounding music....My last dac was the Aune t1, regarded by some as very good, i dont want to detract it....its a good dac.... But compared with the bushmaster its an another world... the bushmaster is in an another league..... His rendering of sound is perfect to my ears.....thanks for this marvel Mr. Beresford... I will not in the future envy the owner of pricey dacs,
finally i have discovered my own little paradise for a ridiculous price compared to others....thanks to this forum

slate
26-04-2014, 13:28
On the budget end, the Superlux HD668B sound very good from the BM.

+1

Bought a pair of HD668B after advice from some of the local headphone nuts: "Best bang for the money? look at Superlux HD668B or HD681".
Since then I have bought a pair for work and also gifted various family members that used something mediocre.

Edit: just want to add that the "leather" pads can be replaced with the AKG K-240/270/271 Velour Pads

Chris79
29-04-2014, 20:32
Hello everyone,

I am a Dutch owner of a Yamaha Pianocraft E810, a great little system. After a while I've replaced the Yamaha speakers that came with it with very nice Q-acoustics 1010i's. The icing on the cake came with the purchase of the Bushmaster MkI DAC, which improved the sound incredibly.

Maybe looking at these configuration you can tell that I live in a small appartment. I feel that I can't turn on the volume on the system up enough to enjoy the music without getting bothered by the idea the volume is too high for my neighbours.

So now I want to buy a headphone for the system. And my question is: while looking at my preference of music -which is classic, jazz, movies and progrock- what would be the best headphone I could buy with a budget of a maximum of 300 dollars?

I heard these three were the holy three:

- AKG Q701
- Sennheiser HD600
- Beyerdynamic DT 880 (250 ohm?)

Several other things could be important to note:

- the Yamaha pianocraft is pretty neutral and analytical
- I also think of the Bushmaster as a pretty neutral and analytical DAC
- I like the clarity of the Q-Acoustics

Is it true the Beyerdynamic has a shrill treble, the Sennheiser is smooth but has a veil and that the AKG has a thin, low-bass sound? I was close to buying the AKG Q701's because I am not a bass heavy listener and prefer neutral and analytical sound because I love to hear details. But I am a bit wary because I already have a analytical DAC and a neutral Yamaha, would this make the resulting sound when using the AKG a bit too analytical heavy? And yeah, I also am a bit wary for a penetrating high treble.

Who here on this forum can give me the golden advice which of these three (or maybe another headset) I should buy? Or should I just order them all three and give them a good listening session before returning one or two?

Thanks in advance!

alan47
29-04-2014, 20:56
I would say that Grado SR225's will give you what you want,much better than any of the ones on your short list.I use RS1's with my Bushmaster,which i suspect use the same drivers in a shiny mahogany cup.I found the Senns to be dull,the Beyers all boom,boom,tizz and the AKG's to be a tad thin.:confused:
You have to suck it an see with phones,just remember ,they all need a few hours on them to work,five at the very least.

StanleyB
29-04-2014, 21:17
The Bushmaster MKI with the Venom-3 mod and AKG701 would be my choice.

Legal disclaimer: I have a Bushmaster fitted with the V-3 mod and I own a K701. So I can speak from experience.

Chris79
29-04-2014, 21:40
The Bushmaster MKI with the Venom-3 mod and AKG701 would be my choice.

Legal disclaimer: I have a Bushmaster fitted with the V-3 mod and I own a K701. So I can speak from experience.

Thanks for the quick replies. I will look into the SR225i also.

About this V-3 mod, this requires some soldering, right? Unfortunately I ain't much of a soldering guy and afraid to ruin my (and in a way also your) Bushmaster, which I love so dearly ;-)

Is the K701 (or Q701), also without this mod, your headphone of choice Stanley? And is this mod so much improving the sound of the Bushmaster that it would be a pity not to fit the Bushmaster with it?

If yes, is there a way to have my Bushmaster fitted with this mod, maybe by sending it to you or maybe can John do this?

Thanks in advance!

StanleyB
30-04-2014, 10:20
All the Venom mods need a soldering iron to do the job.
First try your local DIY forums to see if anyone near you can do the soldering for you. The V-3 and V-4 mods are dead easy to solder in, as long as you have some basic soldering skills.

I got a wide selection of headphones, and use most of them. The K701 is not my headphone of choice though. My D7000 is.

The K701 works fine with the standard BM. The mods are just additional fun bits to add so that you can get a little bit more performance from the standard DAC.

Chris79
30-04-2014, 10:44
Thanks, Stanley. I will look into this. Maybe someone I know can perform this mod.

As for the D7000, they look very good indeed but are a bit out of my reach, financially ;-) I will try to see if I can test some cans, like the K/Q701, the SR225i, the HD600 and the DT880.

Btw, I now have the JVC Harx 700, they are very good for the money but it's shortcomings are obvious.

doodoos
30-04-2014, 10:52
I have the Q 701's along with Audeze which are more costly. The AKGs are very good for the money - nice and detailed without harshness but a little base light. I use them very occasionally now.

Chris79
01-05-2014, 07:55
I am leaning towards the Q701 but I'll compare them first with the sennheiser HD600. I've read some things about less comfort for people wearing glasses with the Q701 and I want to experience the bass thinness of them and if I really care abouy that, not being a bass heavy listener anyway.

StanleyB
01-05-2014, 12:22
I have the Q 701's along with Audeze which are more costly. The AKGs are very good for the money - nice and detailed without harshness but a little base light. I use them very occasionally now.
The Q701 goes perfectly well with a BMII, and not bass shy when mated together. Since you are in London why not pass by one day with some music and try it out on a MKII? You'll be pleasantly surprised how much (deep) bass the Q701 is actually able to produce with the right setup.