View Full Version : THANKYOU. Back to normal: a sucessful restore

Labarum
23-02-2009, 19:35
Thank you all who saved the board.

Business as usual.

Steve Toy
23-02-2009, 19:48
You're welcome.

Everything from the 15th Feb until earlier this evening has been lost though.

Dave Cawley
23-02-2009, 19:49
Yes, well done chaps!

But it's like I never exhibited the SL-1200 and SP-10 at the weekend? Should I write the same replies again? This is surreal..............

Dave

Marco
23-02-2009, 19:53
Hi Brian,

Yes indeed :)

The idiot failed, but we know who he is and where he lives so payback will be shweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet :lol:

;)

Marco.

Marco
23-02-2009, 19:55
Yes, well done chaps!

But it's like I never exhibited the SL-1200 and SP-10 at the weekend? Should I write the same replies again? This is surreal..............

Dave

Hi Dave,

Did you not see the notice we posted before the restore asking people to save all their important posts? :)

If not, I'm afraid you'll have to re-enter them again mate.

Marco.

Labarum
23-02-2009, 19:59
As an ordinary member I would like to counsel all other ordinary members not to comment on the miscreant who committed this act or vandalism.

No bad language. No intemperate comments. Just a dignified silence would be best. As I said - business as usual.

Let's stand back while the admins pursue "due process".

DSJR
23-02-2009, 20:07
Mr Cawley sir! Please re-post your pics etc and any comments regarding the Bristol show.

Cheers...

Spectral Morn
23-02-2009, 20:22
HI Guys

Well we are back and I am back to being DALEK SUPREME.....

It is my understanding and I know Marco and Steve worked hard on this but its FILTERLAB who is the MAN.....

Thank you Rob for all your work in putting AOS back together. The Dunkirk Spirit shown here the last few days has been inspiring.

Thank you all at AOS

Regards NEIL

Steve Toy
23-02-2009, 20:23
As an ordinary member I would like to counsel all other ordinary members not to comment on the miscreant who committed this act or vandalism.

No bad language. No intemperate comments. Just a dignified silence would be best. As I said - business as usual.

Let's stand back while the admins pursue "due process".

Excellent advice. We must maintain our dignity. All the necessary redress can take place behind the scenes.

Steve Toy
23-02-2009, 20:26
Neil,

I submitted the ticket to our host, got the response and made the call. Rob submitted a ticket over the weekend and it unfortunately reached an imbecile. I have to thank Rob for getting on the case straight away though.

The credit goes to the Level 2 Support at Bluehost for their rapid response today.

Beechwoods
23-02-2009, 20:26
Excellent advice. We must maintain our dignity. All the necessary redress can take place behind the scenes.

Who said anything about getting redressed? It's not that kind of forum Steve :eyebrows:

Labarum
23-02-2009, 20:30
Who said anything about getting redressed? It's not that kind of forum Steve :eyebrows:

Maybe it's the "Reel Man" who needs rewinding?

Beechwoods
23-02-2009, 20:34
:lol: I'll try and retain what's left of my dignity and leave it at that :)

NRG
23-02-2009, 20:57
:cool: Good to see the board up and running again, well done to the admin team.

Filterlab
23-02-2009, 22:15

Hear hear!

Especially this bit:

No bad language. No intemperate comments. Just a dignified silence would be best.

Excellently put sir. :)

Filterlab
23-02-2009, 22:16
By the way, I can't take the credit for sorting this as I was unsuccessful. Steve the main man was the driving force behind getting all up and running again, so he's owed several pints by members at the Scalford Hall bake off I feel. ;)

Marco
24-02-2009, 09:17
LOL. It was a team effort, matey. Unfortunately for one reason or another the ticket you raised with Bluehost wasn't successful - things were just taking too long, so I had a feeling that something wasn't right.

Therefore being the impatient big bastard I am, I nagged Steve to raise another ticket, listening to him on the phone as he did it, and when that was responded to and dealt with fairly quickly by a knowledgeable and efficient member of staff at Bluehost, the rest is history!

Had I not nagged Steve to raise another ticket we might still be waiting now for a response to the original one..................... ;)

As they say: 'All's well that ends well' :cool:

Marco.

foxysounds
24-02-2009, 13:36
I hope you cancelled the first ticket or the forum could get restored again and this really could turn into groudhog day!

By the way, I know you want a dignified silence but a couple of questions spring to mind:

What can be done (and is being done) by Bluehost or anyone else to protect the forum from this kind of attack in the future?

And, just because I'm curious, was the culprit a forum member?

Finally, I'll add my own thankyou to everyone involved in restoring the forum. I really missed it over the weekend :)

Simon.

Marco
24-02-2009, 13:51
I hope you cancelled the first ticket or the forum could get restored again and this really could turn into groudhog day!

Indeed! Rob? :)

Thanks for your feedback, Simon. The 'hack' was done by an old 'adversary', shall we say, not a forum member. Glad you missed the place - it proves we must be doing something right! :cool:

Marco.

Alan
24-02-2009, 14:40
I'm glad this is all back now, When I logged in for my regular lurk I was galled to see what had happened. It would really have been a shame if lasting damage had been caused, as AoS is feeling pretty good.

I've noticed some peculiarities wrt new postings: If I look in without being logged on I can't see new posts (Except for admin posts). When logged in I see my own ramblings but not much more. Perhaps it's a quiet day for postings as well. Can anyone else read or even see new posts when not logged in? I notice that guests outnumber members 3:1, so its a shame if no new material is displayed.

(Some posts are labelled 'yesterday', but that could be referring to last week sometime?)

Filterlab
24-02-2009, 15:27
Yep. :)

Filterlab
24-02-2009, 15:34
Alan, for some reason your used ID number was on block, it's off now so your account should behave as normal.

Alan
24-02-2009, 15:58
Thanks Rob. Must be my reputation...
http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:aQQqk7PV_P0NvM:http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/140FF790-CC27-49F9-8B65-D3A3B23AD8EE/0/slider_1_not_now_bernard.jpg

Muhahahaaa

Filterlab
24-02-2009, 16:24
What reputation do you have then? ;)

Alan
24-02-2009, 16:30
“Reputation is character minus what you've been caught doing.”

Filterlab
24-02-2009, 16:38
Now that's a quote! :lolsign:

Labarum
24-02-2009, 19:14
Who says Islam is humourless?

I thank you, Lord, for knowing me better than I know myself,
and for letting me know myself better than others know me.
Make me, I pray you, better than they suppose,
and forgive me for what they do not know

A prayer of Abu Bekr, Father-in-law of Mohamed

Alan
25-02-2009, 15:35
Can't get into PFM at the moment, hope it's not the same sort of thing that happened here? They're V-bulletin as well, aren't they?:confused: Hope it's nothing.

Spectral Morn
25-02-2009, 16:41
Can't get into PFM at the moment, hope it's not the same sort of thing that happened here? They're V-bulletin as well, aren't they?:confused: Hope it's nothing.

Their server crashed...now re-installed....not the same thing as happened here. Anyway they are back and running as of now.

Regards D S D L----Neil

Marco
25-02-2009, 18:06
Yep, I doubt what happened here would ever happen on pfm. Servers though are a pain in the arse, and they all seem to be based in the States!

Marco.

Filterlab
27-02-2009, 11:02
Yep, I doubt what happened here would ever happen on pfm. Servers though are a pain in the arse, and they all seem to be based in the States!

Marco.

Second that, it's made worse when host companies run them up to capacity - they simply overheat and shut down taking all the websites with them. Darned annoying, especially for businesses.

Steve Toy
27-02-2009, 11:10
Pink Fish uses a very similar package to us and goes down as often, including 2 days ago. If we want better we will have to pay a hell of a lot more.

Filterlab
27-02-2009, 11:22
If we want better we will have to pay a hell of a lot more.

I think the time will come when we have to upgrade although we're ok for now with the package we currently have. Occasionally the database needs a repair but it's nothing that can't be handled. I'd rather that though than a general 'slowing down' of forum speed which is really frustrating and turns people off visiting.

Alan
27-02-2009, 21:08
I'll second that. PFM is soo annoying when it snarls up & slows down. (maybe they run it with valves! :ner: ) Something that this place successfully avoids, IMO.