PDA

View Full Version : What next? Amp & CD

keeper
23-02-2009, 18:48
Hi

I'm looking to upgrade my Harmon Kardon AMP and CD.
Budget is up to £1500 and they will pair with my Focal 806 speakers.

This must be a long term set up so want to make the right decision.
I have a varied taste in music but currently like the warmth my system provides, would like extra detail and quality.

Been looking at the usual, ARCAM, Creek, etc.

What would you audition for £1500 approx to provide a system you would be happy with?

Cheers Phil

Beechwoods
23-02-2009, 18:51
What HK amp have you got, Phil? And what CD. It'll help gauge what the new system will have to compete against :)

keeper
23-02-2009, 18:58
What HK amp have you got, Phil? And what CD. It'll help gauge what the new system will have to compete against :)

Both are the 970's

Primalsea
23-02-2009, 19:09
Has your CD player a digital output?? To squeeze more performance from your budget you could look into a DAC and an amp instead. Of course Stans Beresford DAC would seem a good bet. It would seem than people usually only change these in order to buy the next version up. This would leave you well over £1300 for an amp. Other dacs to consider are Benchmark non usb & Russ Andrews. I've heard good things about these but not heard them myself though.

The only question left then is whether you will go for valves or solid state for the amp.

keeper
23-02-2009, 19:52
Yep, I already have a Beresford DAC which I use to connect my Apple TV to the amp.

Cheers Phil

John
23-02-2009, 20:03
Well in that case its worth trying to hear what the CD Player sounds like going through the DAC you could get a simple splitter connector to allow you have two inputs going into the DAC and then that will leave most of money to get a good sounding amp
You could get a nice valve amp which should be a good bit more musical to your ears
I might even have a spare splitter i could send you no promises but used to have a spare one lying around

DSJR
23-02-2009, 20:16
One other pairing for around your budget is the Cambridge 840 amp and CD. I haven't a clue whether you'd like the neutral and pretty "accurate/truthful" presentation, but you get one hell of a lot of decent technology in these two and, boring as it sounds, if they were made by some bespoke audio "Salon," you'd pay triple for them..

I believe they're available on SOR and if this can be confirmed by your local Richer branch (if you're in the UK) I'd seriously give one or both of these a serious listen.

Just my tuppence worth...

Ali Tait
23-02-2009, 20:22
Yes was going to suggest the same-from your description of the sound you like,I think you may enjoy the sound of a valve amp,or at least a class A sand amp.

DSJR
23-02-2009, 20:31
One more decent valvey suggestion for UK listeners - PURESOUND!

I like their CD player and the amp is a properly sorted Chinese import I understand. With the kind of backup you should get, this one's worth a punt as well.......

I can't wait until I get to hear Crofty's new pre and power for £1400, but this won't leave enough for a CD player. However, the DAC you have should be fine and leave you some saving funds for a good oldie turntable to play with.....

keeper
23-02-2009, 20:34
Tried the CD through the DAC, you get 4 inputs, to be honest the CD actually sounds better, just a little brighter.

Labarum
23-02-2009, 20:36
you could get a simple splitter connector to allow you have two inputs going into the DAC

Would someone tell me more? Is it possible to combine two S/PDIF signals into one RCA socket or one optical socket on a DAC?

Beechwoods
23-02-2009, 20:58
Brian,

Maplin have a few swtiches that allow you to route multiple digital sources into one DAC:

Digital Optical Coaxial Audio Switch Box > http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97934

3-Way Optical Digital Audio Switcher > http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35241

Labarum
23-02-2009, 21:01
Brian,

Maplin have a few swtiches that allow you to route multiple digital sources into one DAC:

Digital Optical Coaxial Audio Switch Box > http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97934

3-Way Optical Digital Audio Switcher > http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35241

And how well do they pass the signal?

John
23-02-2009, 21:09
I only used them once so cannot really remember clearly but did not seem to cause major issues if memory serves me right

Beechwoods
23-02-2009, 21:15
I must admit that I've not needed to try them myself, but at those prices you can afford to take a punt really...

John
23-02-2009, 21:28
What I had was a lot simpliar version basiclly a brass body (only cost a couple of pounds although got mine free) with two inputs I just tried it and no noticable sound degrade.

keeper
23-02-2009, 21:47
The beresford DAC provides 2 co-ax and 2 optical, simply press the button for the source you wish the listen to.

Beechwoods
23-02-2009, 21:50
How useful these swtiches are depends on how many sources you need to connect up, but you're completely right on the Beresford, Phil.

Labarum
23-02-2009, 21:50
The beresford DAC provides 2 co-ax and 2 optical, simply press the button for the source you wish the listen to.

Yes, I know. I press those buttons many times a day!

Beechwoods
23-02-2009, 22:08
Tried the CD through the DAC, you get 4 inputs, to be honest the CD actually sounds better, just a little brighter.

I know this is a bit off-topic, so forgive me. I thought it'd be interesting to make a couple of comments about Apple TV. I have an Apple TV and it's a great piece of kit, but it's limited by 3 things:

1. Source files. Experiment with different lossless codecs. I assume you're comparing Apple Lossess, AIFF or WAV encoded files with your CD player?

2. Quicktime. It uses the basic Quicktime engine to play back anything, so you don't get the benefits of other Third Party playback tools like you do with an Apple laptop.

3. It resamples everything to 16 bit 44.1khz. This is fine for most purposes, if your sources are primarily from CD but annoying if you have stuff at other bit rates. Audio Midi allows OSX on laptops to reset the word length / frequency if you play high res files but Apple TV doesn't, at least not out of the box.

People have successfully hacked the Apple TV to get round this, though as with any non-standard software modification, caveat emptor. If anyone is interested in this there's more discussion of it here (http://groups.google.com/group/perian-discuss/browse_thread/thread/5ebbb3c184f8945). It's a real shame Apple don't make these settings configurable in the Apple TV menu itself.

Main thing is experiment with different lossless codecs. There is a difference in sound from the different schemes, as Rob demonstrates in his 'Audio Output on OSX thread' (start at the end and work towards the front, he had a revelation a few months back that might be missed if you read it conventionally :))