PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with Paul Hynes kit?

Hozepipe
13-02-2009, 09:47
As a follow up to my post on Phono stages in the classified section I've stumbled across a chap selling a Paul Hynes custom valve Phono Stage via another forum. The little I've found out about Hynes is all very good, and the chap selling reckons the Phono is better than a Whest 3.0R, Era Gold Reflex/Elevator, Groove etc.

(BTW Dave C I am still considering your very kind offer and I'll let you know for sure after Bristol, I'd appreciate your input on Hynes if you have any given the claims??)

Only reason the chap is selling is because there's not enough gain for his system, but he may get it modded by Mr Hynes to fix it so the offer to sell has a proviso based on that. I'll know more after the weekend.

If anyone could shed some light by having a look at the pics I was sent of the innards PM me with an email address and I'll send them along.

cheers
simon

Marco
13-02-2009, 09:57
Hi Simon,

He's a trade member here. Check out our Links Box under 'P':

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?p=21090#post21090

:)

I've not heard any of his kit, but it gets a pretty good rep.

Marco.

Ammonite Audio
13-02-2009, 10:29
Hi Simon

Paul's kit is well regarded and I have used many of his discrete regulator modules to good effect in the past. As it happens, he is currently building me a new phono stage; and based on the valve prototype that he lent me, it should be deathly quiet as well as rather musical. Being bespoke stuff, options can be designed in and if necessary sorted afterwards.

He won't mind you phoning to ask about the kit.

Regards

Shuggie

Hozepipe
13-02-2009, 10:35
Well, this is sounding very promising indeed Shuggie. How would you rate the phono you were leant against production kit (just to to give me a bit of a price/quality yardstick)?

s

Hozepipe
13-02-2009, 10:37
Cheers Marco - small world!

leo
13-02-2009, 11:10
The guy makes fantastic voltage regs:smoking: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=25106&postcount=37

Paul Hynes
13-02-2009, 11:35
Hi Simon,

If you have any technical questions about the phono stage you are considering I will be pleased to help.

Regards
Paul

Hozepipe
13-02-2009, 11:44
Hi Paul

You seem to have some fans here, many thanks for responding! PM on its way....

simon

Ammonite Audio
13-02-2009, 15:35
Well, this is sounding very promising indeed Shuggie. How would you rate the phono you were leant against production kit (just to to give me a bit of a price/quality yardstick)?

s

I don't know for sure, since the physical layout of the circuit between the prototype and the production gear is different - specifically the prototype was in a huge case, but Paul tells me that the production phono amp is in a compact alloy extruded case. On top of that, I can't tell you much about price, either, since there are many options that you can choose, starting with valves or solid state, balanced topology etc.

As I said above, don't shy away from giving Paul a call. He's a very friendly chap and has a way of explaining the very technical in a way that ordinary people can understand!

Hozepipe
13-02-2009, 16:02
Sorry Shuggy, I re-read my post and it wasn't clear. I meant how did it compare to other makes of phono stage you've heard?

I will get in touch with Paul, already sent a PM... :)

simon

Ammonite Audio
13-02-2009, 18:00
Sorry Shuggy, I re-read my post and it wasn't clear. I meant how did it compare to other makes of phono stage you've heard?

I will get in touch with Paul, already sent a PM... :)

simon

At the time, I had a Trichord Dino/Dino+, which was pretty good, but terribly prone to RF interference from cordless phones etc. Paul's prototype was as quiet as a tomb, but also remarkable at portraying detail (I could understand why some people get excited about 'leading edges' to notes). Sometimes, gear will spotlight detail in the music, which is initially impressive but artificial: Paul's amp placed that detail in the overall musical context, and was most enjoyable as a consequence. I have since moved onto a PS Audio GCPH, which murdered the Trichord in terms of musical enjoyment, being rather more vibrant. I've not had a chance to compare one of Paul's latest phono amps to the GCPH.

The only other phono amp that I have owned was from NVA. That was rather noisy (on MC), but immensely enjoyable nevertheless.

I hope that helps.

Hozepipe
13-02-2009, 18:21
At the time, I had a Trichord Dino/Dino+, which was pretty good, but terribly prone to RF interference from cordless phones etc. Paul's prototype was as quiet as a tomb, but also remarkable at portraying detail (I could understand why some people get excited about 'leading edges' to notes). Sometimes, gear will spotlight detail in the music, which is initially impressive but artificial: Paul's amp placed that detail in the overall musical context, and was most enjoyable as a consequence. I have since moved onto a PS Audio GCPH, which murdered the Trichord in terms of musical enjoyment, being rather more vibrant. I've not had a chance to compare one of Paul's latest phono amps to the GCPH.

The only other phono amp that I have owned was from NVA. That was rather noisy (on MC), but immensely enjoyable nevertheless.

I hope that helps.

That does thanks. Actually the GCPH was one of the phono's I had been thinking of looking at originally, not sure why I went off the idea now.:scratch: