PDA

View Full Version : Sony cdp-x303es

muffinman
10-02-2009, 19:19
Just a nostalgic ode to my old friend:
I've just got my 303es out of the loft in order to raise funds. i recently replaced it with the nachd1e and so it'll never get used again in my house.
The problem that i and no doubt many others have at this sad time, is what value to put to it?
I know the adage that it's only as valuable as someone will pay for it, but...
It never gave me any trouble, is built like a tank, sounded fantastic and showed a clean pair of heels to the cambridge 640v2 i was considering replacing it with.
It got it right from the off, my mrs called it 'head and shoulders' above the 640.
As there is very little info about this on the web, if i list it i'm worried it'll go for tuppence ha'penny and i'll feel i'm selling it short!
I feel like i'm letting it down and that feels strange:(

Jason P
12-02-2009, 11:13
I know what you mean, having gotten my Ion Obelisk 2 out and fired it up with a view to selling. Mind you, the thing is such a musical little amp I'm half thinking about keeping it...

Still, if you do decide to sell, I'm in need of a CD player :eyebrows:

Jason

muffinman
12-02-2009, 14:05
If you promise to give it a good home - make an offer:)

badlyread
12-02-2009, 19:57
Have sent you a PM Muffinman.

muffinman
13-02-2009, 21:48
:eyebrows:
10.5k bertha
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/womblethedog/000_0400.jpg

i have no idea where the dac is.
anyone ?

Mike
13-02-2009, 21:58
There it is... Just beneath that other thing!

Marco
13-02-2009, 22:05
You mean just to the right of the doo-dah across from the thingmy?

LOL. Nah, the DAC section is on the R/H side in the '3rd' section of the internal components - you can clearly see the banks of chips (6 of them in black) - I think!

Why did you want to know, Gareth? :)

Marco.

muffinman
13-02-2009, 22:21
Why did you want to know, Gareth? :)

Marco.

because i was expecting to see a big black chip with DAC on it.

other than that, i was just being light hearted. i'm finding a lot of threads a touche elaborate/arsey atm, so i'm doing keepy ups till i get my new arm on monday and Drop Da Bom!
:gig:

Mike
13-02-2009, 22:26
Errr.... well, actually I think the board on the right is the audio output board.

I'm probably wrong, but I reckon the digital stuff is most likely underneath the transport, follow those ribbon type cables and see what's lurking under there.

muffinman
13-02-2009, 22:29
so that bit at the back which says (for) digital is the input/output?
they're elna caps don't ya know

well if the DAC is stuffed under the transport thats my fun over:(
i'm not going rooting round in there

Marco
13-02-2009, 22:32
Are you absolutely sure, Mikey? I'm fairly certain those six big black f*ckers on the right are DAC chips. They look similar to what's used in my Sony X-777ES; the granddaddy of Gareth's X-303ES...

Where's Leo when you need him? :)

Gareth,

Are you a teeny weeny bit excited about your new arm, then? :eyebrows:

Marco.

muffinman
13-02-2009, 22:41
Are you a teeny weeny bit excited about your new arm, then? :eyebrows:

Vic's excitement is contagious. i had an evo on the gorb and Vic swears that the terminator wazzes all over it. the fact that i missed the delivery whilst i was at work and now have to wait til monday don't help:steam:
but oh yes, i can't wait to hear how it performs

Mike
13-02-2009, 22:48
Are you absolutely sure, Mikey?

Of course I'm bloody not!

But those six chips look like op-amps from here. :scratch:

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a whole board under the transport...

The board behind the transport looks like a load of regulated PSU gubbins to me. ;)

Marco
13-02-2009, 22:52
You could well be right - OP amps and DAC chips can sometimes look quite similar. Perhaps it's a mixture of both? I'm certainly not going to argue with you about this kind of stuff, though. It ain't my zone! :)

Marco.

muffinman
13-02-2009, 22:54
But those six chips look like op-amps from here. :scratch:

GOLD STAR with merit for Mike

they are 5532dd - which are in fact op amps

move forward 2 paces:)

Mike
13-02-2009, 23:04
:)

Tony G
13-02-2009, 23:35
Sometimes guessing games can be fun, so I'm going to take a stab that it is actually on the reverse side of the right hand board under the blank white square surrounded by ancilliary devices toward the front.

I want to hear more of the swarzen-arm adventures, damn the suspense. :smoking:

Mike
13-02-2009, 23:58
Nah!... There's nothing under there.

That's where the block of 'unobtainium' goes. That is the upgrade to elevate the player to 'i' status! ;)

Tony G
14-02-2009, 00:02
Oh well, if you say so :(
Back to the artificial life experiments for me. :confused:

Wake me up on T-day (ven ze swarzen-arm terminates the teccy).

muffinman
14-02-2009, 19:42
Sometimes guessing games can be fun, so I'm going to take a stab that it is actually on the reverse side of the right hand board under the blank white square surrounded by ancilliary devices toward the front.

Nah!... There's nothing under there.

That's where the block of 'unobtainium' goes. That is the upgrade to elevate the player to 'i' status! ;)

Tony - spot on!
i flipped the player and clearly visible is a PULSE dac:eek:
Alas no unobtanium

Jason P
24-02-2009, 19:46
Well, I've just recieved a rather large package in the mail, courtesy of Muffinman - thanks Gareth, top man!

First impressions - the 303 is a monster! Built like a proverbial brick outhouse, beautifully finished, even though it is a 'baby' of the ES range. The tray is solid (and metal) and glides shut with a certain authoritative 'clunk'.

I've let it simmer for a while and spun a few discs via the headphone out - on my DT100s the detail retrieval is stunning, and it has a solidity to the sound that's in keeping with it's build.

I'm off to get it plumbed in to the amp now - will report back sometime with some more considered impressions.

Then it'll be time to fit the KABd, Sumiko'd and Origami'd arm that came in the same package... all together now, 'Turning Japanese I think I'm turning Japanese I really think so...'

Jason